• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Watch your shipping costs!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I ordered four items from ------- shipping was $35 I almost had a stroke! within 20 minutes I was on the horn trying to cancel i. one of the items was shipped already,

l Ike -------, I'd like to be a loyal customer, but when you're in a situation where every penny counts and you can get things for the same price or within a few dollars, with free shipping that's a no-brainer. This is not really to be against --------. Just saying we should be vigilant over such transactions.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I hear ya, I find deals all the time where they offer the item at a discounted price but then you find the shipping is 5 times normal. It infuriates me, especially when they dont give you the shipping price until your one click away from finishing the transaction.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Yes, it's crazy how some suppliers still charge for shipping in a world where free shipping has become the norm not the exception! I have a senior's membership on Amazon prime, virtually everything can be found that I need, even on eBay many things are called fast and free shipping.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's rare I buy anything online that won't ship free... I really have to need it to pay to have it shipped. Some of the best deals I've ever got have been had walking into a brick and mortar and making my best deal.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I do keep an eye on that. I've noticed sometimes, especially in Amazon, that some retailers will cut the product cost and bump the shipping cost up proportionally in order to get the business of the people who don't pay attention.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That’s why I hardly use rock auto anymore. The shipping costs make the parts almost the same price as the local auto parts store.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That’s why I hardly use rock auto anymore. The shipping costs make the parts almost the same price as the local auto parts store.
That's why I haven't ordered shocks. I put the front two in my cart, good to go. Put the back two in my cart and noticed they were shipping from three warehouses. For some reason, after I added the two rear shocks Rockauto's software decided to ship one front shock from warehouse A and the other front shock from warehouse C. Remove the rear shocks and the two front ones go back to warehouse A.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
"Free shipping" is really a misnomer. The cost of shipping is actually built into the price of each individual item, which can work against you if you're buying multiple items from the same source. For this reason I generally try to avoid "free shipping" tags if I need more than a single item, the final total is often cheaper.

However I also agree with comments above about the auto parts place... Their multi-warehouse shipping system is extremely inefficient.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
That's why I haven't ordered shocks. I put the front two in my cart, good to go. Put the back two in my cart and noticed they were shipping from three warehouses. For some reason, after I added the two rear shocks Rockauto's software decided to ship one front shock from warehouse A and the other front shock from warehouse C. Remove the rear shocks and the two front ones go back to warehouse A.
Don't know which shocks your looking at, but check out Amazon, especially if your a prime member...
I'm getting ready to order a set of KYB Excel-G shocks. Fronts are around $26, and rears are around $29, and shipping is free. Dose,'t matter if the shocks come from 4 different warehouses, shipping is still free.
Gave up on auto parts warehouses years ago unless it is a very specific part that Amazon dosen't have access to.
Been ordering parts for our motor home from Amazon for years...they almost always beat the RV parts stores, and I have the part within a day or two.
Grumpaw

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Don't know which shocks your looking at, but check out Amazon, especially if your a prime member...
I'm getting ready to order a set of KYB Excel-G shocks. Fronts are around $26, and rears are around $29, and shipping is free. Dose,'t matter if the shocks come from 4 different warehouses, shipping is still free.
Gave up on auto parts warehouses years ago unless it is a very specific part that Amazon dosen't have access to.
Been ordering parts for our motor home from Amazon for years...they almost always beat the RV parts stores, and I have the part within a day or two.
Grumpaw
My experience with Amazon is they tell me it will ship in 5 days, when day 5 comes up they tell me they are on back order, but I can get them delivered in two days if I spend $$ on Amazon Prime. This tells me they are playing games.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Because when you dont order with prime your not buying from amazon, your buying from someone else through amazons website. There's thousands and thousands of different sellers on amazon.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Yeah, Prime costs a few bucks, but we order quite a bit from Amazon, and we make up Prime cost in shipping savings in about 2 months.
Even if the item comes from an outside supplier, still ships free, and 90% of the time I have the part in 2 days...even have had items delivered on Sat and Sun.
That set of KYB's is going to run me about $110, shipped. Rock Auto's price is about the same, but you pay shipping.

Just personal preference.
Apologies if I hit a nerve.
Grumpaw

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have three or four sites I use regularly for pricing parts for big jobs.

I'll price the job on Rock, Advance, Amazon, and Napa. Once I get everything into the cart, get my final prices with shipping included THEN I make my choice.

If I can't get shipping costs, even an estimate, before being asked for payment information I just won't buy from that site.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Because when you dont order with prime your not buying from amazon, your buying from someone else through amazons website. There's thousands and thousands of different sellers on amazon.
No, you have the choice to buy through Amazon or other sellers. That prime thing is an incentive to get people to buy things from Amazon just like the Costco membership.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have three or four sites I use regularly for pricing parts for big jobs.

I'll price the job on Rock, Advance, Amazon, and Napa. Once I get everything into the cart, get my final prices with shipping included THEN I make my choice.

If I can't get shipping costs, even an estimate, before being asked for payment information I just won't buy from that site.
I usually buy from Rock Auto. Most of the time I can wait a few days and the warehouse thing changes in my favor. Sometimes it's cheaper to pay for something online at Pep Boys then drive there and pick it up. O'Reilly's is probably the most expensive. Actually, they are out of their minds with the pricing. Autozone isn't too far behind.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals