• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Planning a V8 swap in 93 ranger

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
You'll need a LOT of other stuff too.. Plan on spending twice what you thought in the beginning. It all adds up very fast..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Mazda trans is rather unique that it is too trucklike for car type shifting and too carlike for truck type use.

I don't mind how it shifts but given the option I would rather have a lower first.

jklolkik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I know headers, fans, mounts, oil relocation, maybe a new oil pan.

Would you be able to give me an idea of what other stuff I would need?

Im sure ive read it somewhere but cant remember alot of it. I also got the swap manual from harwood so that will help

jklolkik

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
After weighing the cost of this swap versus new heads and gaskets for my 4.0 and also time constraints. Got a 3 month old and my fiance works evenings pretty much leaves when I get home. so no time to put into a swap. I have decided to just buy new heads for now and down the road when I am more financially able to and have alot more money I will swap.

Thanks everyone for your help. But until then I will be doing alot more research

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
Bird76Mojo where is the junkyard at? You are near Champaign? The places here want an arm and a leg or they dont have it.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
It's a secret. lol

Can't be giving up my stash of 1st gen parts...

He's not really that cheap all the time unless he knows you really well. I'm there all the time so I get decent deals.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After weighing the cost of this swap versus new heads and gaskets for my 4.0 and also time constraints. Got a 3 month old and my fiance works evenings pretty much leaves when I get home. so no time to put into a swap. I have decided to just buy new heads for now and down the road when I am more financially able to and have alot more money I will swap.

Thanks everyone for your help. But until then I will be doing alot more research
Research and nab parts as they come up for sale. It is a pretty significant project to undertake.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
If one does a swap, 302/351 lets say 300-400hp, how hard is it to make these trucks hook up? specifically drag racing?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Traction bars at a minimum. Four link with tuneable coilovers would be ideal for drag racing in my opinion. To be truthful ,you're gonna have quite a bit of coin in a 302 to get to the 300hp mark at the wheels. My 87 302 swap truck (standard cab shortbed 5spd) is laying two stripes on the road on demand. It'll break em loose at 55mph with the smallest amount of sand or gravel on a paved road when you're on the throttle.. Left in 5th gear. The truck has 4.10 rear gears though, for now. With 10.5" rear Nitto 555's. I imagine they'd hook decently on a sticky track though.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Traction bars at a minimum. Four link with tuneable coilovers would be ideal for drag racing in my opinion. To be truthful ,you're gonna have quite a bit of coin in a 302 to get to the 300hp mark at the wheels. My 87 302 swap truck (standard cab shortbed 5spd) is laying two stripes on the road on demand. It'll break em loose at 55mph with the smallest amount of sand or gravel on a paved road when you're on the throttle.. Left in 5th gear. The truck has 4.10 rear gears though, for now. With 10.5" rear Nitto 555's. I imagine they'd hook decently on a sticky track though.
I'm plenty familiar with the SBF power lol, I had a 342 NA in my 88 Mustang, 430hp on the rollers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals