• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High mileage Ranger - Worth investing in?

srisitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I recently bought my first truck, a 91 4.0L Ranger that I was told had 157k on it but turned out actually has 257k. Now I'm trying to figure out if the truck is still worth investing time and money into.

A little about the truck:
- It has the original engine and transmission, never rebuilt.
- It had one owner from 1991-2019. The owner seemed to know the truck very well and took good care of it.
- Seems to run well, I've taken it on the freeway and around town without any issues. The only things I've noticed about the engine/transmission are a lifter tick that goes away when it warms up and a slight, almost unnoticeable grinding in low RPM's in 3rd gear. Otherwise it runs great.

I figure what I should do now is see what kind of shape the engine is in. I'll start with checking the compression, is there anything else you guys would recommend I look at? Would the ECM in a 91 be able to give useful information about the engine if it isn't misfiring etc.? Is it even worth touching a Ranger with this many miles on it?

Thanks for any and all help. Learning as I go. :icon_confused:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If its a manual trans, runs good, and was well cared for 257k wouldn't phase me at all.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I see what you did there...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Honestly, mine was one of the ones that was anyone's guess to miles when I bought it. Turned out it had 262k on it, not 162k, but PO's daughter was honest and told me she wasn't sure.

4.0 is easy to work on, and parts are cheap. If it's a 2wd manual trans with the M5OD, the trans is even easier to work on. Slap a shifter rebuild kit in it ($23 on rock auto), and just freakin' drive it lol.

Mine has rust issues. Yours looks really clean, but I could be wrong. Depends on how you define "worth it," but a ranger of that era is fun to drive, cheap and easy to work on, and worse case will teach you how to be a better mechanic. I say go for it, but that's me.

If you get bored with it, this is an option.

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I figure what I should do now is see what kind of shape the engine is in. I'll start with checking the compression, is there anything else you guys would recommend I look at? Would the ECM in a 91 be able to give useful information about the engine if it isn't misfiring etc.?

Also, nor really for the ECU. Should be an EEC-IV, but I could be wrong. Either way, it's OBD1, and not terribly advanced, but can give a LOT of useful data if you ask questions on the V6 forums.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What were your plans for the truck when you thought it had 187k?

srisitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What were your plans for the truck when you thought it had 187k?
Well I suppose at 157k, with a single owner and good maintenance I figured I’d have tens of thousands of miles on the original engine/transmission before needing a rebuild. At 257k I’m amazed it’s gone this long without needing any major work. I want to be able to take it long distances so I’m a little anxious about getting stranded if don’t at least get the top end rebuilt.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
A one owner, well taken care of truck, that runs fine, and you want to tear it down and rebuild it. I understand not wanting to be stranded, but where I come from, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. How do you know the PO never had anything done to the top end? that may be why it is running so good. IDK how much info you have, but it sounds like he took good care of it, and probably had it serviced and repaired regularly.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Carry a back up set of sensors, fluids, basic electrical repair items, a meter, and hand tools. Circumnavigate the globe. It's a Ranger. You'll be fine.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
It's elementary at this point you already bought the truck and you own, it call it buyer's remorse.

Are you sure it's 257? because that has a 5-digit odometer doesn't it? I've never quite understood the logic for them, I had one in my 93 & my94 has an od like that,

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
It's elementary at this point you already bought the truck and you own, it call it buyer's remorse.

Are you sure it's 257? because that has a 5-digit odometer doesn't it? I've never quite understood the logic for them, I had one in my 93 & my94 has an od like that,
Years ago, it was a miracle for most vehicles to make 100k miles. Now, it's more common. Better design, better lubricants, whatever. Used to be that only the premium vehicles with the best maintenance got to the 6 digits on the odometer. Now, just check it out good and maintain and repair it best you can and you should have a good time with it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
257k would not bother me. Just about anything on them is easy to fix and relatively cheap especially if you can do it yourself and I'm guessing the body is probably in pretty good shape given your location.

Honestly I'd rather have a 1991 with 257k on it than one of that year with 57k... I've had a bunch of old, low mileage vehicles that were just total shit piles. Looked nice but sitting unused is hard on vehicles. If it's rolled through that many miles, chances are it was maintained pretty well.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
257k would not bother me. Just about anything on them is easy to fix and relatively cheap especially if you can do it yourself and I'm guessing the body is probably in pretty good shape given your location.

Honestly I'd rather have a 1991 with 257k on it than one of that year with 57k... I've had a bunch of old, low mileage vehicles that were just total shit piles. Looked nice but sitting unused is hard on vehicles. If it's rolled through that many miles, chances are it was maintained pretty well.
I agree. Machinery likes to be used and maintained. Sitting idle for long periods is the worst thing for almost any machine. On the submarine I was on, the nuclear reactor and propulsion equipment would run great While it was operating. But shut it down and start it up frequently and stuff started to fail. That thing loved to run.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals