• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Elon musk.....

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Already said it...

BTW, did you know the average American only uses their vehicle to go to work and the grocery store? All this time I've been thinking the average American did more than that.
Okay, some of them drive to some crappy restaurant on Saturday night for Chinese takeout. But seriously, most Americans don't drive much more than work and some errands around their corner of town with the exceptions being when they drive 30 miles to Ikea because that's the only Ikea in the metro area they live in.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I live in Florida, my dad lives in Arkansas, my mom lives in N. Carolina. I can drive to either one of their houses in 9-10 hrs, with a fill-up at the start and at least one more for the trip (both are around 700 miles). I don't think EV's have that kind of range yet, so that makes it a 2 day trip with an EV, plus hotel fees while my EV charges overnight to make the rest of the trip.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Battery swaps are nice in theory, but pretty difficult in reality.

Tesla was offering fully automated battery swaps (in less than 2 minutes) as early as 2013:

In reality, they had a single station in CA that was available for public use but it shut down due to lack of demand (or something). Perhaps since batteries degrade over time/use people weren't willing to take the chance that they'd have a more degraded battery swapped into their $90k vehicle?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Plus you need to find a hotel that wont mind you tossing an extension cord out of your window to charge your car...

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I live in Florida, my dad lives in Arkansas, my mom lives in N. Carolina. I can drive to either one of their houses in 9-10 hrs, with a fill-up at the start and at least one more for the trip (both are around 700 miles). I don't think EV's have that kind of range yet, so that makes it a 2 day trip with an EV, plus hotel fees while my EV charges overnight to make the rest of the trip.
With a Tesla supercharger, you can get 50% charge in 20 minutes, and 100% charge in just over an hour. The really long charge times are for people charging at home. You would have to plan your trip around supercharger stations, but there are quite a few of them:

My Fusion Energi is considered an EV (PHEV instead of BEV) even though it's still got an ICE. With a full tank of fuel and a full charge it's got a 700 mile range, and it would get 40+ mpg for the whole trip too. Lifetime fuel economy average climbed over 81mpg on my commute today.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The rapid recharge option stmitch mentioned above is a potential game changer for EV practicality. There will always be outliers that may need something different for their needs, but that group has steadily shrunk over the last decade. When typical range was 100 miles or less, the only market for an EV was in town commuting, or delivery drivers that could plug in between runs. Now that we're seeing vehicles with 200-300 mile range or more, that meets the needs of most of the market. Road trips are an issue, but if you can stop for an hour lunch and a full charge, that issue mostly goes away. If we can get to 400-500 mile range in the next ten years and a better network of recharging options, I could certainly see an electric vehicle in our family. Perhaps we'd rent something for a road trip, or I'd still have the pickup for utility use, but most of our needs would fall well within what the EV could handle.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I always wondered, what do they charge at the few and far between places that have those tesla super charging stations? I can't imagine they are just giving away free electricity?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I always wondered, what do they charge at the few and far between places that have those tesla super charging stations? I can't imagine they are just giving away free electricity?
It depends on how much electricity costs in that location from the utility company, and how much electricity is used. Just like gasoline prices vary based on location and how much is used. They're anywhere from $0.15-$0.30 per KWH. If they can't charge per KWH, then they charge per minute of charging. If you only charge at Tesla's Superchargers, then the cost isn't much different than gasoline:

Of course most people with EVs will charge at home where electricity rates are much lower than the Superchargers.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I like how they compared the cost of the little EV's against a Chevy tahoe for mpgs... :ROFLMAO:

According to that chart it cost less per 1,000 miles to run my Fiesta than it does a model X.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I like how they compared the cost of the little EV's against a Chevy tahoe for mpgs... :ROFLMAO:

According to that chart it cost less per 1,000 miles to run my Fiesta than it does a model X.
Yeah, my Focus gets about 34 mpg, better if I baby it. So extrapolating that from the Tahoe, I'd only be about $35 poorer on the 1000 mile trip (as compared to the Model 3) and I'd probably be there a day earlier. For sure a few hours. Not to mention the $20k or so I still have in my pocket from the initial purchase.

I'm all for EVs for passenger vehicles, but I still think they would be better if they were powered by a hydrogen fuel cell.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With a Tesla supercharger, you can get 50% charge in 20 minutes, and 100% charge in just over an hour. The really long charge times are for people charging at home. You would have to plan your trip around supercharger stations, but there are quite a few of them:

Not really the kind of supercharger I look for a vehicle...

My Fusion Energi is considered an EV (PHEV instead of BEV) even though it's still got an ICE. With a full tank of fuel and a full charge it's got a 700 mile range, and it would get 40+ mpg for the whole trip too. Lifetime fuel economy average climbed over 81mpg on my commute today.
How long does it take to make up the $12k premium (or 3,000 gallons of gas at $4/gal) over a standard Fusion? With my F-150's fuel burn I only go thru roughly $1500 worth of gas a year... and that is a 17yo V8 with well used 4wd...

Tahoe is like the family car of choice around here, good in winter with 4wd and decent ground clearance. Is also roomy, can tow and is basically a truck for durability. Gets low 20's hwy. I wish Ford made something on par. I got tired of fighting with my wife's Edge just trying to get the stupid thing to the highway last year so I just drove her when it snowed. Since she works 10 miles past where I work so that is hardly a model of efficiency because then I have to go pick her up after work too. But hey, the ol' 150 doesn't get high centered like a turtle if you look at it wrong and at the end of the day for like 4 months this year that is all that mattered.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Keep in mind that the chart in the article is based on road trips where you might be confined to using superchargers at higher costs. Charging at home overnight would be significantly cheaper. And yes, the Tahoe looks a bit extreme but it's there just to show both ends of the spectrum.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I wonder what would happen to the grid if everyone plugged in at night? I also wonder what the true cost in electricity is to fully charge atypical EV. I don't doubt it's cheaper, just wonder what the true cost is.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How long does it take to make up the $12k premium (or 3,000 gallons of gas at $4/gal) over a standard Fusion? With my F-150's fuel burn I only go thru roughly $1500 worth of gas a year... and that is a 17yo V8 with well used 4wd...
On the used market, they trade for similar prices to the regular Fusions. I paid $16k for a 2 year old car with 23k miles from a dealer. But to your point, the .gov has a handy comparison tool, so here's how the most fuel efficient all gasoline Fusion, the hybrid Fusion, and the PHEV Fusion break down:

So driving 15k annually and assuming average gasoline prices/electrical rates, the PHEV car saves about $2500 over 5 years vs the most efficient gas car. Of course the math changes with more personalized driving distances, electrical rates and gas prices. Add in a federal $7500 tax credit at the time of purchase for buying an EV, and any state credits, and it starts to pay off much sooner.

It shouldn't be shocking that a sub compact car could be more efficient than a 5500lb SUV that can comfortably seat 5 adults. Nobody that shops for a Model X ends up with a Fiesta and vice versa. Compared to it's peers, the Model X is much cheaper.

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I always wondered, what do they charge at the few and far between places that have those tesla super charging stations?
….uhm, Tesla EV's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals