• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

the Lawn Mower thread.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I will have to email you the service manual. The forums won't let me upload because of size.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I think you mean coil,not solenoid. Air gap is usually set with a business card. As long as the fly wheel clears the gap is OK. One hole is slotted so its range is limited. If the starter feels funny it may have sheared a key.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I think you mean coil,not solenoid. Air gap is usually set with a business card. As long as the fly wheel clears the gap is OK. One hole is slotted so its range is limited. If the starter feels funny it may have sheared a key.
i have a new solenoid. i could not find a coil at the stores. i am very clear on the verbiage. i have tremendous amount of experience when it come to setting gaps. there is no spark at the wire. i need a new coil that is specific to my engine. I'm working on that.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
.... and its called a magneto

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Check to see if the flywheel sheared the key. I recently had a 6 5 Briggs that would just backfire. Sure enough key sheared enough to make the spark out of time. Will also cause no spark problem too.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Check to see if the flywheel sheared the key. I recently had a 6 5 Briggs that would just backfire. Sure enough key sheared enough to make the spark out of time. Will also cause no spark problem too.
will do. thanks

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've had nothing but trouble with Tecumseh engines, fairly good luck with Briggs engines and limited experience with Kohler and Kawasaki engines... between my brother and I we have worked on or had several dozen small engines, a couple Tecumseh engines have worked for a short time, most of the briggs engines run until something stupid happens (crank bearing goes out, valve seat falls out, plug threads strip out, etc). Many of the engines I've had are old since we do auctions and I'm a cheap bastage... We've learned how interchangeable most of the engines are, putting Magnetron coils on points engines and so forth.

How about the air filter? if the air filter is really bad the engine will do as you say, smoke and foul the plug(s), engines need air to run :). Just mentioning it since you didn't mention air filter just fuel and oil filters.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
new air, oil, and fuel filter in February of this year. new spark plug then and a new one when this happened. i believe my old plug is actually still good. new blades and belts . first tune up in 5 years of owner ship. probably 100 hours or so

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've had nothing but trouble with Tecumseh engines, fairly good luck with Briggs engines and limited experience with Kohler and Kawasaki engines... between my brother and I we have worked on or had several dozen small engines, a couple Tecumseh engines have worked for a short time, most of the briggs engines run until something stupid happens (crank bearing goes out, valve seat falls out, plug threads strip out, etc). Many of the engines I've had are old since we do auctions and I'm a cheap bastage... We've learned how interchangeable most of the engines are, putting Magnetron coils on points engines and so forth.
My MTD/Craftsman blower has a Tecky single cylinder. It runs well, but the carb is shot, so it kinda has to be coaxed into do any sort of work. The PO left it with fuel in the bowl, and so the throttle shaft bore is worn, so it runs stupid. If I adjust it up so it isn't lean at idle it floods at higher RPM. That one also has the small square discharge, so it plugs easily.

My 11 JD that I just sold had a 19.5 Brigs, which wasn't a bad engine, never did have an issue with it, except the fuel shutoff solenoid. You gotta watch JD engines though, becuase they are bastardized so the internals can only be had from Deere.

My 65 WH has a K181 in it that still runs great. My biggest complaint there is that with the stock exhaust it is LOUD, with a cub muffler on it is much quieter, but that puts the exhaust right where I am sucking fumes the whole time I mow. It also seems like she runs out of breath at higher loads. It's fine running unloaded in 3rd, it is fine with the blades on in 2nd, but if I try to do blades in 3rd gear (I have some long straight-aways) she seems to run out of power. I'd like to find a 10HP K series to rebuild and put in it just for that. She also needs a new air filter though, and I am having trouble finding one.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
All new Briggs engines, since they were bought by Intek, have been reverse engineered to fail at a set amount of hours. A former Briggs engineer made this info public years ago after the company was bought out.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
All new Briggs engines, since they were bought by Intek, have been reverse engineered to fail at a set amount of hours. A former Briggs engineer made this info public years ago after the company was bought out.
Class action lawsuit you say? Now I'm a little sad I sold mine.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
So i can sue for a new mower? thats like getting a free haircut after the barber messed up your hair. lol

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
There was no class action suit that I know of. Even if there was, you know how those go. The actual customers get like 11 cents while the lawyer team gets millions.

He had posted it on a message board somewhere a loooooong time ago.

Mike Tonon

Well, my Briggs is 10 years old. I don’t know if it’s an Intek. But everything has been fine on it, except the carb. I changed that once. I’m going to reverse-reverse engineer it that mower with vintage Briggs parts, if it gives me enough trouble.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
mine is an 08 or 09. I got it from my FIL about 4-5 yrs ago

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals