• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'89 Ranger/Wont crank/electrical issue?

Texican65

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the battery was connected when it went dead (I'm assuming), I would definitely check the starter switch. I know it's a pain to get to, but it sounds like you've got a short somewhere, and that would be a good thing to check off of your troubleshooting list. At least you would know either way. Like I said before, I have seen the switches start to come apart, and as a temporary fix you can squeeze the metal tabs on the corners to pull it back together. If you pull the switch out and it comes apart in the process, you'll know.

Like snoranger said, the battery terminals can cause problems if they're really bad. But I think it's more likely to be at the battery side of the cables than the engine block side. I'd say that if you tug on the negative cable to check how solid it's connected to the block and the cable doesn't pull off , you should be okay there. The battery side is usually the problematic side. I've never had a cable go bad at the block, but I don't live where they salt the roads very often, and I suppose that could have an effect on it over time.

You need to find what is drawing power with everything off. That could be what's causing all of your problems. A bad negative/ground cable won't cause a power draw when the truck sits. Actually, if that negative cable to the engine was bad, you would probably have starter issues, as the starter would not be getting a sufficient ground to operate properly. I don't think there's any other good reason to have that large of a ground going to the block.

Well...after quite a fight...I got the ignition switch off. Ford definitely made it so they didn't want the owner messing with this......what a pain!

See anything that looks worn or out of the ordinary? Looks ok to me...but this is the first one I've ever handled.

Thanks,

DowIMG_7626.JPGIMG_7634.JPGIMG_7637.JPG

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The bad switches I've seen were separating where the plastic and metal are crimped together. Nothing looks obvious there. Did you check your battery connections as others have mentioned? You've pulled the battery, so it most likely isn't the battery terminals (unless they're really bad side terminals). Check and clean all battery and cable connections. If the switch is not bad internally, it's likely to be the battery cables/connections.

Texican65

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The bad switches I've seen were separating where the plastic and metal are crimped together. Nothing looks obvious there. Did you check your battery connections as others have mentioned? You've pulled the battery, so it most likely isn't the battery terminals (unless they're really bad side terminals). Check and clean all battery and cable connections. If the switch is not bad internally, it's likely to be the battery cables/connections.
Hey there...still messing with this.

What’s the little thin metal wire in the middle of your ignition switch photo? Mine doesn’t have that, wondering if it should?

Dow

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's a good question. The service manual says nothing, and the electrical connector itself has built-in clips to hold it in place. So, I don't know. I have the clip with my old switch and found where one end of the "clip" sits on the switch; but I'll have to take a look at my column when I get a chance. I forget what it's for, so now I have to know :unsure:.

It's probably not necessary, as I don't recall it being on my new switch when I took the pictures.

Texican65

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for checking. I’m not sure if mine fell off when I took the switch out of the column, or if it just doesn’t have one. But when I re-install the switch, I want it to be right, don’t want to rip the column and get under the dash again to get at this thing.

I removed the negative ground from the block, it looks ok, but I’m replacing it anyways.

Wire from the starter to the relay looks ok too, maybe a little wet from a slight coolant leak, but it’s been that way for a LONG time. Slowly crossing off possibilities.

Thanks,

Dow

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Texican... Google voltage drop testing. Proceed with cable inspection using your new found diagnostic knowledge.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That clip appears to be unnecessary (at least on my Ranger). It must be a retaining clip for the electrical connector, but when I replaced mine I didn't use the clip, and my connector is solid and won't pull off without considerable force. I would just check the connector to see if it pulls off easy or not, and if it won't come off easy don't use the clip. I saved mine, because I know if I throw away that worthless little clip, I'll end up needing it a couple weeks later :). I looked at mine and couldn't see how it would connect without having the switch removed and the connector still attached, so I said "forget it" and put the covers back on .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals