• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What do my front rotors look like?

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2001 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5L RWD with manual transmission. Regular cab (smallest) and bed of truck is a standard (not stepside).

What does the front rotor look like? Is the the bottom one or second from the bottom? Different websites tell me different things.

Some descriptions say the 2nd from the bottom is for 4x4 only.

Should I get a kit with calipers too? Truck is 18 years old and driven in upstate NY, so the body is pretty rusted.

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The second from the bottom is for 4x4 only. You need the bottom rotors.

New calipers would not be out of line at that age, if you are willing to spend the money.

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Sounds good, thanks. Is there a standard kit that I can buy separately which has all the brake lines? Some are looking pretty rusted.

Edit: do I have two wheel or four wheel ABS?

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
The second from the bottom is for 4x4 only. You need the bottom rotors.

New calipers would not be out of line at that age, if you are willing to spend the money.

the bottom ones are 261mm, that's 10.27"
his 2001 should have the 11.25" front rotors?????

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yep, RWD Rangers have the hub built into the rotor. So, you'll want the bottom ones in the picture you posted. As far as the ABS question, I can't specifically remember what to look for. I would look for wires leading to sensors on the front brakes some where. Probably on the knuckle or the caliper mount. My 1998 was RABS only, so I've nothing to compare against.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Sounds good, thanks. Is there a standard kit that I can buy separately which has all the brake lines? Some are looking pretty rusted.

On the brake lines, there is no kit. I had to replace my brake lines and made my own as I went along. The only one that didn't get replaced was the one that runs the frame rail behind the fuel tank. It wasn't too terrible. I was able to get everything I needed except for the fitting where the line behind the tank hooks up to. I had to cut the end off the old line I was replacing and reuse it for the section. You'll need a could hand tubing benders and a double flair tool. Not too expensive. I would also get sections of straight line and cut and bent to fit and length. I wasn't overly fond of the stuff you can buy in a roll. It was tougher to work with in my opinion.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
IDFK. You gotta figure that one out yourself. Kinda need the truck in front of me to tell you.

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
IDFK. You gotta figure that one out yourself. Kinda need the truck in front of me to tell you.
What should I look for? AFAIK I have ABS in the front, so does that mean I would have it in the rear on the drums?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
What should I look for? AFAIK I have ABS in the front, so does that mean I would have it in the rear on the drums?
The rear ABS runs off the tone ring in the differential of the rear axle. The trucks with 2 wheel only ABS will have just rear ABS and will use that. The one with front ABS will have sensors and wires running from the front hubs or knuckles somewhere in order to take readings off the rotors.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The rear ABS runs off the tone ring in the differential of the rear axle. The trucks with 2 wheel only ABS will have just rear ABS and will use that. The one with front ABS will have sensors and wires running from the front hubs or knuckles somewhere in order to take readings off the rotors.
No, that was true of pre-95 trucks, but later ones should have tone rings at the front wheels as well, 2 or 4 WABS.

You need to trace the brake lines from the master cylinder and see if it is a simple little device with one line in and one out, or if it looks like a huge messy block with lines all over.

computersoc

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
No, that was true of pre-95 trucks, but later ones should have tone rings at the front wheels as well, 2 or 4 WABS.

You need to trace the brake lines from the master cylinder and see if it is a simple little device with one line in and one out, or if it looks like a huge messy block with lines all over.
There are five lines coming out of my master cylinder I think. One to the reservoir that holds brake fluid and then four more that go to each wheel I assume.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There are five lines coming out of my master cylinder I think. One to the reservoir that holds brake fluid and then four more that go to each wheel I assume.
Starting at firewall, there would be brake boost - black, ~12" diameter with rubber hose to intake manifold. Next is master cylinder, silver with brake fluid reservoir with filler cap on top, wiring for brake pressure differential, and 2 lines out.

If you have RABS (rear ABS), the front line will go to a block on frame to be split left and right. Rear line goes to back.

If you have 4WABS (which it sounds like you do), the 2 lines go to the ABS module on fender. 3 lines out (left front, right front & rear) in addition to the 2 in, and has electrical connectors.

Rotors historically came in 4 flavors for 2WD front: 10.28" (usually found in RC, goes with 9" rear brakes), 11.28" (usually found in SC, goes with 10" rear brakes)*, and with/without ABS tone rings (RABS doesn't use tone rings, it just uses the speed sensor on rear axle - if too rapid deceleration is detected, kicks in ABS.) It is worth your time to measure what you have so you get correct parts. Last time I bought rotor, with tone ring was cheaper, so while I didn't need it; I bought the lower cost one.

*We are talking Ford Rangers, so even if usually is 99 out of 100, still allows several thousand with different combo.

Replacing calipers/brake lines with 4WABS is bit of PIA as the ABS module doesn't like air. I fill caliper/lines with fluid ahead of the swap, so only limited about of air gets in. (Or at least I try to limit it).

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Find a loose gravel road, whind it up to 40 and smash the brakes, see if the front tires lock

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Find a loose gravel road, whind it up to 40 and smash the brakes, see if the front tires lock
In the interest of keeping the truck shiny side up, I don't think I'd recommend this.

If memory serves me correctly, the VIN will tell you whether or not you have ABS on the rear wheels, all wheels, or no wheels.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like rusty's way. That's how I would test the brakes to see what and if something is bad or good. Plus it's fun when you get it up to about 60 on gravel and then slam the brakes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals