• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 2.8 giving me some issues

kopps84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
i recently acquired a 84 Xlt ranger for few hundred bucks( didnt have gases tanks) put a tank on but wasnt getting fuel to carb so replaced that pesky mechanical fuel pump. Bam she started up idles really good until i hit the throttle, and then she spits and spudders out. kinda at a lost, i have a rebulid kit for the carb, but wanted to see if anyone here had any idea that might help!

Jim911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i recently acquired a 84 Xlt ranger for few hundred bucks( didnt have gases tanks) put a tank on but wasnt getting fuel to carb so replaced that pesky mechanical fuel pump. Bam she started up idles really good until i hit the throttle, and then she spits and spudders out. kinda at a lost, i have a rebulid kit for the carb, but wanted to see if anyone here had any idea that might help!
I need to follow this. I have the same vehicle with same issue. It's driving me crazy!

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
You need to give more info on the vehicle. All original carb, etc. Tune up? Have you adjusted the Distributer? Check timing? New Cap, plug wires? No vacuum leaks? Automatics are different then manuals.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Most likely the rubber hoses are bad and are clogging everything up. You need to change the fuel filters. Sometimes people add one before the carb (I do - I use a clear glass one).

I would remove the carb, clean it (not rebuild it), new base gaskets, replace any vacuum caps with a hose, bolt, and clamp. If fuel dries in the bowl, it most likely is covered in yellow sludge, the floats are not working properly, and the diaphragm is bad. You might be able to clean the diaphram , this would be directly related to bad stumble when giving it the gas.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not sure on that carb but the accelerator pump used to use leather cups. They would shrink if the vehicle sat for a long time. There is also an adjustment for accelerator pump discharge amount, usually how the linkage is hooked up.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I noticed your California location; did you pull codes? (It's probably in the carb, but the more information you have, the better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals