• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L 2nd vs 3rd gen ranger, a few random questions

Jackrabbit88

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've had a V8 for a while and it's about ran into the ground and time to make a change. Realistically I don't "need" that much truck. So after searching quite a lot I'm pretty sure I want to go with a 2.3L ext.cab ranger with a mannual trans. For work I have about 1000lbs of gear in the bed, I'm hopping to see 22mpg or better, But even if I'm down to 20 I won't be disappointed.(getting 16 with my current set)

I've done a ton of research so far digging up old Post but here r the questions I haven't found answers for yet.

On ext cab models, is there a difference in leg room from the 2nd gen to 3rd gen?

Ive seem some ext cabs that have 4 doors. Not a true 4 door but the door that opens after u open the front door. when was this option first available. From what I can tell it started in 98 but I'm not sure.

I know engines r virtually the same but will a manual trans from a 97 2.3l be a direct swap to a 98-01 2.5l?

I'd like to find an 04+ duratec. But I remember reading that it's next to impossible to find one with both the extended cab and manual trans. Is this true. So far I haven't found one but I've only been looking for a few days.

Are there any major changes in the frame / chassis and body of the 2nd and 3rd gen. Is the 3rd gen weaker than the 2nd gen
The only thing I could find was this

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2nd-gen-vs-3rd-gen.256901/

Basically will the 2004+ ranger crumple like this 3rd gen explorer.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm hopping to see 22mpg or better, But even if I'm down to 20 I won't be disappointed.(getting 16 with my current set)
You might/probably will see 20+ with a Duratec engine but it's pretty unlikely with a 2.3 Lima or 2.5. A max of 20mpg is about what those will do.

On ext cab models, is there a difference in leg room from the 2nd gen to 3rd gen?
I think they're about the same

Ive seem some ext cabs that have 4 doors. Not a true 4 door but the door that opens after u open the front door. when was this option first available. From what I can tell it started in 98 but I'm not sure.
Correct, '98 or so. '97 and older do not have rear doors.

I know engines r virtually the same but will a manual trans from a 97 2.3l be a direct swap to a 98-01 2.5l?
I believe so, the Duratec trans was different

I'd like to find an 04+ duratec. But I remember reading that it's next to impossible to find one with both the extended cab and manual trans. Is this true. So far I haven't found one but I've only been looking for a few days.
4 cylinder extended cabs are hard to find, no matter what. Power to weight ratio makes them totally undesirable in my eyes. Quite a few of the late model 4 cylinder trucks were also fleet vehicles and the extended cab was not a necessity.

Are there any major changes in the frame / chassis and body of the 2nd and 3rd gen. Is the 3rd gen weaker than the 2nd gen
The frame and suspension in 2nd and 3rd gen trucks are quite a bit different. I would not call either one "weaker." Just different.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals