• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Code P1401 and operational temp not reached

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
2001 2.5L automatic. I recently purchased a data logging scan tool and took my truck for a 20-minute joy ride. It's been running rough and getting about 175 miles from a tank of fuel. When I got back from the trip, I got the dreaded P1401 code and another response," vehicle operational temperature not reached". I checked over the EGR system. Everything looks fine. All the hoses are there and the EGR valve is holding vacuum. The sensor may be faulty. I'm not sure if that can be checked or just toss a new one on. What do you use to clean the EGR valve? The engine temp recorded by the scan tool shows a high temp of 190.0 with an average temp of 174.5. A few years ago, I replaced the timing belt and while I was there, I replaced the water pump and T-stat, a 195F unit. The system is full as well as the overflow tank having a little coolant in it. I also have excellent heat. Could the problem be a faulty engine temp sensor?

rgurleyjr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
2001 2.5L automatic. I recently purchased a data logging scan tool and took my truck for a 20-minute joy ride. It's been running rough and getting about 175 miles from a tank of fuel. When I got back from the trip, I got the dreaded P1401 code and another response," vehicle operational temperature not reached". I checked over the EGR system. Everything looks fine. All the hoses are there and the EGR valve is holding vacuum. The sensor may be faulty. I'm not sure if that can be checked or just toss a new one on. What do you use to clean the EGR valve? The engine temp recorded by the scan tool shows a high temp of 190.0 with an average temp of 174.5. A few years ago, I replaced the timing belt and while I was there, I replaced the water pump and T-stat, a 195F unit. The system is full as well as the overflow tank having a little coolant in it. I also have excellent heat. Could the problem be a faulty engine temp sensor?
Not sure the egr has anything to do with the coolant temp, I wouldn't spend any time on that. The temp sensor can be checked, google and see. Sounds like your T-stat may be stuck open...

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Not sure the egr has anything to do with the coolant temp, I wouldn't spend any time on that. The temp sensor can be checked, google and see. Sounds like your T-stat may be stuck open...
It's in the emission system along with a faulty thermostat. The truck runs like it has a vacuum leak. We have been having steady rains since I figured out the problem. I haven't had a chance to do the diagnostics on the EGR control sensor. I can't even remember what that little gray box is named now. Oh yeah, DPFE sensor. I wish I had my garage back.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
2001-2002 Rangers have a TSB about code P1401 caused by poorly designed DPFE sensors. All new DPFE sensors have been upgraded to address the issue.

Symptoms of the issue are poor fuel economy, low power, rough idle etc.

Replace the DPFE with the updated version....

Last edited:

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
2001-2002 Rangers have a TSB about code P1401 caused by poorly designed DPFE sensors. All new DPFE sensors have been upgraded to address the issue.

Symptoms of the issue are poor fuel economy, low power, rough idle etc.

Replace the DPFE with the updated version....

Thanks. I knew about that. The one that's on the truck now is a replacement not the OE. It was replaced before my GF bought the truck in 2003 with 50,000 miles on it. I had planned to replace the DPFE when I replace the thermostat.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
K.. Try yelling at it

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
K.. Try yelling at it
Everyday. :icon_rofl:

I have a new one on order. It is the problem. I am surprised the OE replacement went bad. They usually last longer than the vehicles they go in.:icon_confused:

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Replaced the DPFE sensor today and reset the codes. I drove the truck about 50 miles today. It's better but nowhere close to running properly. I am still getting the P1401 code and a high idle around 900 to 1000 rpm. I'm also getting codes P0133 (O2 circuit slow response) and P0141(O2 heater circuit malfunction). My GF said her brother run the throttle stop screw in because the truck kept stalling on her. How do I reset the throttle stop screw? I think I need to do this before I move onto the other issues.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals