• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Temp Gauge Not Working

retrotrip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi there!

I bought a 1987 Ranger last month and am IN LOVE. She's perfect, except, the temperature gauge on the dash doesn't work. It's always pointing to the lowest possible "C" position.

Before I get ripped off by one of the local shops (not a lot of options in this small town), can someone please recommend a potential cause of this malfunction? If there's a wire or sensor I can check with a few basic tools, I'd like to pursue that first.

Thank you in advance! :wub:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes, the the Temp SENDER on the engine is the usual problem, and it is easy to test and replace.

But.................need to know what engine you have to tell you where to look for it

1987 had 3 engine options
2.0l 4 cylinder
2.3l 4 cylinder, gasoline
2.9l V6

Rare was the 2.3l Turbo-Diesel engine in a 1987, last year for these

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Drawing here: https://www.2carpros.com/images/question_images/181315/original.jpg

The red arrow is NOT the one you want, that is the temp SENSOR, only used by the fuel injection computer

Look to the right, you will see the temp SENDER, it only has 1 wire connected

Get a jumper wire and Ground one end of that wire, Battery Negative if wire is long enough
Pull off the 1 wire on the SENDER, and Ground that wire using the jumper wire
Go into the cab and turn on the key, watch the temp gauge
If temp needle goes up to HOT then wire and Temp Gauge are working fine
Replace SENDER.

If needle doesn't move then wire from sender or gauge itself is the problem, but that is rarely the case.

Auto parts store will always give you a SENSOR first time around, so stress Temp SENDER "for the gauge" when you ask for the part
Take it out of the box and make sure it just has 1 connection, sensors always have 2 connectors

When installing a SENDER leave the bottom few threads BARE metal, sender needs a good ground to the engine to work properly

retrotrip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi! Thank you very much for your thorough directions and help! Turns out, the sender needs replacing. I picked up the part today and will install tomorrow. The part has a white coating around the bottom half of the threads (on the engine-end, not the connector end). Do I leave the white coating on or peel it off before installing?

Thank you again! You just saved me at least $100 :)

GR8RYD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The white coating is most likely Teflon tape or some type of thread sealer. You should leave it on.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the white coating is OK, don't add anything else

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals