• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I get my CDL back?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I retired for trucking June 2015 because I had cancer and I was having problems controlling my diabetes. I surrendered my CDL when I had my heart attack nov 2015.

Today (actually yesterday) I had 2 doctors appointments, one was with my Endocrine and I just had my 3rd consecutive A1C under 8 without insulin and then I had a stress test which I passed.

Now there is no apparent brain damage from having had brain cancer but I have permanent COPD from lung cancer. I am also still diabetic and genetically pre disposed to high cholesterol.

Because I got my CDL in 1997 and surrendered it more than 1 year ago (because I couldn’t pass the physical and I was smoking CBD oil for cancer) I have to have 160 hours of CDL training in an approved program due to a law passed in 2010 in an effort to curb CDL mills. My 2.3 million miles of experience doesnt mean anything apparently. Now I work at FedEx freight and I can move into the driver apprentice program but it takes either 6 months or a year to complete or pay $5000 to go back to truck driving school (which I don’t have).

Currently I make $19/hr at FedEx Freight but only work 5 hours a day. Diver apprentice would bump me to $21/h and be full time then after I complete the program I will be a full time driver at $24/h

Or I could take the money I do have and get an AAS in mechatronixs from the local community college.

I’m kinda leaning towards getting my CDL back and working for a few years to pay everything off and going back into retirement

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Speaking as a current driver...

No.

Luckly we are exempt from ELDs (for now, we haul raw milk), but youll live in the truck for less money, and the BS gets deeper every year.

I would learn a 9-5 trade and never look back dude.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ELB is a fact of life out here and FedEx Freight would be a 10 hour a day job either doing local P&D or pulling doubles to Portland and back or a combination of both and also operating the switcher (yard goat)

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
ELB is a fact of life out here and FedEx Freight would be a 10 hour a day job either doing local P&D or pulling doubles to Portland and back or a combination of both and also operating the switcher (yard goat)
That doesnt sound horrible then. Im not OTR, but if/when we end up with ELDs i might be looking for othrr options. We run legal and im home everynight, but sometimes that extra hour is the difference between home and pilot.

But all i can say is you know yourself better then anyone, and i know theres guys running around in alot worse shape then what you described. Hell, they only renewed me for a yr because of sugar, ive dropped 20-25 lbs since then though, and i show no symptoms, i think she was full of shit

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you start and stop from the same location everyday, one time in a 7 day period you can go by a couple hours due to unexpected issues. Jim was state police, you might want to verify that with him...... or it might just be a Washington thing

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you start and stop from the same location everyday, one time in a 7 day period you can go by a couple hours due to unexpected issues. Jim was state police, you might want to verify that with him...... or it might just be a Washington thing

Yeah thats federal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals