• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heads and Head Shops

HER2702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
It's me again Margret, (only the 'senior' members will get that one. lol

Question #2 from my previous post: Can anyone share experience / advice on some of the head vendors found online and on freebay? I see a few advertised that throw up red flags and or look too good to be true. I trust parts from Rock Auto without question regardless of the negative crap going around on YouTube but I'm also considering some less expensive alternatives.

#1 - Clearwater Cylinder Head - $400 p/pair of "new heavy cast aftermarket" heads with free shipping and lifetime warranty.
Seems too good to be true considering the prices other reputable vendors offer their heads for. CCH also has the same address & phone number as my #2 shop who has had some bad reviews. Hmmm.....

#2 - Odessa Cylinder Head - $605 p/pair of "new heavy cast aftermarket" heads with free shipping and lifetime warranty.
Again, seems too good to be true considering the price. Also a common address with CCH. I have seen a couple of BBB complaints against Odessa which again makes me say Hmmm....

#3 - King Cylinder Head - $590 + freight p/pair of "new heavy cast aftermarket" heads with a 2 year warranty.
Not too bad of a deal IF they are actually "new" heads.

#4 - Machine Shop Pros - $535 p/pair of "new aftermarket" heads with gaskets and bolts, free shipping and 7 year warranty.
Now this is one heck of a deal IF it is all true AND the gaskets / bolts are at least decent parts.

My good friends at Rock Auto show $516 + freight for a set of reman heads with a 3 year warranty. A solid deal but I'm just not convinced to go with anyone's reman original heads given the chances of cracking.

If anyone has had any dealings with any of the shops I mentioned I would really like to hear about it. Good or bad it all helps. Also if anyone knows of a good, reputable head shop or vendor please feel free to pass that along too. As I said before, I'm on a tight budget and I want to do the job right not twice. Thanks for all the help.

"Any job worth doing is worth doing right the first time, every time."

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
It's me again Margret, (only the 'senior' members will get that one. lol

Question #2 from my previous post: Can anyone share experience / advice on some of the head vendors found online and on freebay? I see a few advertised that throw up red flags and or look too good to be true. I trust parts from Rock Auto without question regardless of the negative crap going around on YouTube but I'm also considering some less expensive alternatives.

#1 - Clearwater Cylinder Head - $400 p/pair of "new heavy cast aftermarket" heads with free shipping and lifetime warranty.
Seems too good to be true considering the prices other reputable vendors offer their heads for. CCH also has the same address & phone number as my #2 shop who has had some bad reviews. Hmmm.....

#2 - Odessa Cylinder Head - $605 p/pair of "new heavy cast aftermarket" heads with free shipping and lifetime warranty.
Again, seems too good to be true considering the price. Also a common address with CCH. I have seen a couple of BBB complaints against Odessa which again makes me say Hmmm....

#3 - King Cylinder Head - $590 + freight p/pair of "new heavy cast aftermarket" heads with a 2 year warranty.
Not too bad of a deal IF they are actually "new" heads.

#4 - Machine Shop Pros - $535 p/pair of "new aftermarket" heads with gaskets and bolts, free shipping and 7 year warranty.
Now this is one heck of a deal IF it is all true AND the gaskets / bolts are at least decent parts.

My good friends at Rock Auto show $516 + freight for a set of reman heads with a 3 year warranty. A solid deal but I'm just not convinced to go with anyone's reman original heads given the chances of cracking.

If anyone has had any dealings with any of the shops I mentioned I would really like to hear about it. Good or bad it all helps. Also if anyone knows of a good, reputable head shop or vendor please feel free to pass that along too. As I said before, I'm on a tight budget and I want to do the job right not twice. Thanks for all the help.

"Any job worth doing is worth doing right the first time, every time."
I don't know this is the first time I've read any of your posts. It seems to me you're overthinking. I can say that because that's what I do :).

250 k ... Can probably find another lower mileage engine for less cost to repair yours if needs head gaskets or intake work.

Let me suggest something about shade tree and pro experience and ability; some of the best technicians in any field often become self employed IE shade-tree mechanics. There's some amazing people on this site!

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
I have a set of fleebay heads on my 4.0. 2 years later and they still seal great. I think they were Odessa but when I bought them I don’t remember spending over $450.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Off topic;
I thought this was going to be drug related....lol

defender8300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What cylinder heads did you end up with? Shopping amongst these same options myself.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
All I can remember buying at a head shop were black light posters
You might believe
You understand what
You think I said, but
I'm not sure that you
realize that what you
heard is not what I meant
:D

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
All I can remember buying at a head shop were black light posters
You might believe
You understand what
You think I said, but
I'm not sure that you
realize that what you
heard is not what I meant
:D
I am way too stoned for this sh*t

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals