• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission swap

Andy833

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have 96 4.0 4wd, transmission went out, so I found a 95 ranger with same size engine but it's 2wd, if I swap it will I lose the 4wd, if so can I somehow make it 4 wd,

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Automatic or Manual transmission?

With a manual you can change tail shaft housing and tail shaft to make 2WD trans fit Transfer case, but not a simple swap

With an automatic, no, can't make it 4WD, and you would also need a new drive shaft to use it, as a 2WD

Andy833

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Automatic or Manual transmission?

With a manual you can change tail shaft housing and tail shaft to make 2WD trans fit Transfer case, but not a simple swap

With an automatic, no, can't make it 4WD, and you would also need a new drive shaft to use it, as a 2WD
Manual, is there a page or something good where I can find those specific parts, all I needed is that it's possible and I'm good

Andy833

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
And also I still have my 4wd transmission can I use the housing and shaft from there and put them on the 2 wd

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
And also I still have my 4wd transmission can I use the housing and shaft from there and put them on the 2 wd
Yes, you can use the tailhousing and output shaft from the 4wd transmission. But, what do you mean by the transmission went out?

In order to swap the 4wd shaft into the 2wd transmission, you'll need to disassemble the 4wd transmission and at that point, why not just fix the 4wd transmission? You already have it apart.

Andy833

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you can use the tailhousing and output shaft from the 4wd transmission. But, what do you mean by the transmission went out?

In order to swap the 4wd shaft into the 2wd transmission, you'll need to disassemble the 4wd transmission and at that point, why not just fix the 4wd transmission? You already have it apart.
I recently got this this truck for 500 bucks it ran and drove, but it was tough tone put in gear clutch was out, so I went to change clutch and spindle was all loose and rattling inside the tranny

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rebuilt 4.0l 4WD M5OD-R1 is $750-850, New one is $1,000

Used from $??? to $600

You can use a 1990 to 2012 M5OD-R1 from a 4.0l 4WD Ranger or Mazda B4000
So there should be quite a few used ones out there you just need to find them

They are a very reliable transmission, yes your input shaft and bearing reads like it is bad, can happen just not very often with these transmissions
So used M5OD-R1 is not that much of a gamble

M5OD-R1HD will work as well, found in 2001 and up Ranger/Mazda 4.0l 4WD trucks

As BlackBII says, if you are willing to swap tail shafts then might as well tackle the rebuild, there are a few How-tos on rebuilding the M5R1 and M5R2, R2 is similar just heavier duty version for V8 engines, no it won't fit your 4.0l, but rebuilding step by step is the same as R1

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals