• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Diesel 2003 Ranger

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Hey,
Looking for info about the new crate motor from Cummins !
The engine is a R2.8L, 4 Cyl, turbo, high pressure injection, AND I hear that it may come with an install kit of pieces to make it work and a separate kit for emissions based on state !

Weight seems to be lower for a Cummins Diesel, 560 lb, size small, should fit.

Thinking what trans and will my AtlasII transfer case fit ?

Trying to get some info before tearing in to the Ranger.

Ltr

Last edited:

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dirt for Days put one in a jeep. Look them up on youtube. Guy is kinda quirky but some good info on it anyway.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Dirt for Days put one in a jeep. Look them up on youtube. Guy is kinda quirky but some good info on it anyway.
Watching the vids on U-Tube gave me some ideas, maybe a Jeep Trans could work implace of the Ranger 5-sp, also a GM automatic could work too. Now to see if I can get an auto to bolt to my Atlas II T/C.

I put my name on the call list for a new R2.8 Cummins, need to get going to get a parts list and an installer !

Why do I do this ?

Ltr

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For crawling I can see it being good with all that low end torque. Personally the way we wheel something that revs faster is a better option. IMO diesels are great for towing but too heavy/slow reacting to good in a wheeling rig.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Watched it, gave me some ideas about which trans to use and about adapters available.

For crawling I can see it being good with all that low end torque. Personally the way we wheel something that revs faster is a better option. IMO diesels are great for towing but too heavy/slow reacting to good in a wheeling rig.
I think it would make a serious off road engine, yes it will not rev up as fast as a gas V-8 or V-6 engines but better than some 4-cyl engines. you just need to get the best trans/gearing for the application.
Remember the R2.8 Cummins can put out up to 200 HP and 380 ftlb of torque without a lot of tweaking.

I am perusing it but first I need to know if it will be considered a replacement engine for a Ranger in SoCal, then I can go after the trans/adapters and miscellaneous items.

Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals