• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351w swap headers

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I juet have a really quick question. Seems to me like the only difficult part of a 351 vs 302 swap would be jut the headers I think. I wouldn't mind a 302 but a 351 woupd be better torque wise.

So my question is what headers work for a 90 ranger with a 351.

I heard the Shelby tri y fit a the 302 so it would only make sense to keep it easy but if it's possible why not

Thank you in advance

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I juet have a really quick question. Seems to me like the only difficult part of a 351 vs 302 swap would be jut the headers I think. I wouldn't mind a 302 but a 351 woupd be better torque wise.

So my question is what headers work for a 90 ranger with a 351.

I heard the Shelby tri y fit a the 302 so it would only make sense to keep it easy but if it's possible why not

Thank you in advance
Tri-y headers fit with mustang vert mounts. the driverside is close but does fit. passenger side needs the top of the frame notched.

this was on a 90 ranger. 2wd. with a 351. and a m5r2 transmission. using mustang engine mounts.

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you very much sir

I wanted to keep it simple with a 302 but the 351 just seems like it's would be more fun around town stuff. Mpg I don't think should be could be worse with my 2.3 a is the aero on this truck sucks haha

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you very much sir

I wanted to keep it simple with a 302 but the 351 just seems like it's would be more fun around town stuff. Mpg I don't think should be could be worse with my 2.3 a is the aero on this truck sucks haha
With a 351w. Depending on your carb and intake. Expect anywhere from 10-13 mpg around town. And 14-17 on the highway. But there's a lot of variables. Transmission. Gears. Tires size. Weight of right foot. :D

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Weight of right foot haha haha
I got a pretty light foot, I just would like to have the option of lighting up the rear tires at will.

Far my truck has 17" mustang wheels with a 3.73 explorer 8.8. As for transmission its either the t5 or a 4r70w trans

Your very helpful bro I really appreciate it.

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This project won't see light til the end of the rear I'm saving money. I just want to avoid bs down the road less head aches

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This project won't see light til the end of the rear I'm saving money. I just want to avoid bs down the road less head aches
Your setup sounds good.

Couple of pointers with the 351w

Remove the steering shaft before setting the headers in

After you get the mounts where you want them and drill and slot the crossmember. Boot the mounts to the chassis. And use studs to line up the mounts to the block. Then bolt the engine in

Pass side engine mount is a pain to bolt from underneath. Easier with the engine out

Mount your oil filter relocator to the block before you install the engine. It's super close to the steering box and impossible to try to mount once the engine is bolted in

Other than that. No different than mounting a 302. 351w fits pretty well for the most part

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Here's a few pictures to help you out

The pass side frame was notched from a previous engine. Obviously you can see you wont need to trim that much. But you get the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Daaamn bro that's clean thank you very much I really appreciate the input. That look looks clean.

Did you have a problem with the side to side movement of the engine hitting the frame or steering shaft? And what radiator did you use?

Besides that I think it's pretty easy.
You should sticky these pictures. I'm sure aloooot of people would like this info, especially where they cut for the headers.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Daaamn bro that's clean thank you very much I really appreciate the input. That look looks clean.

Did you have a problem with the side to side movement of the engine hitting the frame or steering shaft? And what radiator did you use?

Besides that I think it's pretty easy.
You should sticky these pictures. I'm sure aloooot of people would like this info, especially where they cut for the headers.
No side to side movement was not an issue. I only slotted the holes in the crossmember enough to get the engine in.

I use a jegs universal radiator. Size 28x16.5 and modify the core support so it sits inside. Keeps the engine at 180 on a hot day. Well worth the 180.00 bucks

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
I did mustang 'vert mounts and the hedman 302 swap headers on my 91 4x4, put the engine closer to the drivers side for passenger side frame clearance and dented in the driverside header to clear the steering shaft rag joint

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea that rad looks nice and for the price I won't be able to beat it plus it's aluminum.
I really appreciate it bro honestly this is gonna save me ALOT of headaches down the road.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea that rad looks nice and for the price I won't be able to beat it plus it's aluminum.
I really appreciate it bro honestly this is gonna save me ALOT of headaches down the road.
No problem bro!
i actually have a few videos on youtube if you would like to see them. i need to update them though.

noser7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For sure bro! What your YouTube name so I can check em out. Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals