• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap Dana 28 E4wd to 2001 Ranger Edge 4X4

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Driveshafts:

The Aerostar front shaft will be used. It is long so can be cut down and a larger yoke welded on to match the front differential yoke. A new shaft is being made for the rear as neither Ranger nor Aerostar shaft tubes are long enough. The Aerorstar rear driveshaft will provide the slip yoke and flange which bolts to the rear axle. Nothing will be needed from the Ranger shafts which means I can keep them and reinstall the 1356 if I want in the future...........or sell the stuff.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's not done, got the shafts installed and it's workin, but not done. My first impression is I got what I wanted, no more rear wheel spin on dry pavement, it just grabs and goes! On snow it is much like our AWD "X" the rear will get loose if you push it hard, but the front is pulling not slipping so it steers down the road. I like the road feel, can tell the front is pulling around a corner and the steering wheel has a heavier feel to it.

Not done, It has got a slight vibration at 45-50mph. It feels like it is coming from the rear shaft. That is enough reason for me to look at how a slip yoke eliminator works. I got some time to run it a bit more today and am thinking about mounting a Go Pro down there to see if the vibe is at the slip yoke.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So did you leave it at the native 30/70 split or did you wire in a switch or what? The dana28 t-case was my first choice when I was researching this idea but couldn't find any in my price range - $100 or less. I did find what I believe is a 4405 and am going to try that using a switch, maybe a rheostat idea attached to the steering box....don't know yet.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Damned it, I was watching the other thread for updates. Missed this one. Good stuff. :icon_thumby:

Looks like I'm going to follow in your footsteps someday. Put a new shift motor on the transfer case in the 99 over Christmas weekend and it worked. Tried to put it in 4wd last Saturday, and it went back to 6 flashes not working. Not sure if it's the new motor or something else. Getting tired of electronic 4wd. I'd like a manual transfer case, but the truck isn't worth the work to me. I'd much rather go this route on it if I keep it.

AlwaysFlOoReD, I'm not sure that'll work out the way that you want. From my understanding I think that the 4405 is normally a part time case. Just installing a switch is going to make it act like a standard 4wd transfer case. I don't think that a rheostat is going to provide the proper signal to make the case work as AWD, but this discussion would probably be better continued in the other thread.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any know how well a TTB front end would handle as an AWD setup? This would be fun in an older square body truck :icon_idea: :icon_rofl::icon_welder:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got to spend a little more time with it. The vibe is noticeable but harder to hear sitting in the passenger seat. I am going to watch and wait to see if it gets worse. I got under it yanked on it and there is a tiny bit of play in the slip yoke.

I am in no hurry to wire it. I left the pigtail to the t-case clutch attached and hanging down for easy access. I do not think the existing wiring is big enough to work the clutch at first glance.

I am enjoying it, the quick turning under WOT is amazing, you feel the front pulling you around the corners.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So did you leave it at the native 30/70 split or did you wire in a switch or what? The dana28 t-case was my first choice when I was researching this idea but couldn't find any in my price range - $100 or less. I did find what I believe is a 4405 and am going to try that using a switch, maybe a rheostat idea attached to the steering box....don't know yet.
Dana 28 is all time AWD 30/70 and is part-time four wheel drive only off-road or slippery surfaces. I will wire the clutch soon with a lighted on off switch with a good fuse in line. I doubt I will using it much but it would be enough traction to pull out of a slippery mucky situation. I have yet to get the AWD Explorer stuck which is similar. I am sure I could try and easily get both stuck though. They are both suburban and get us into the Rockies to play, but not to 4 wheel.

Last edited:

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any know how well a TTB front end would handle as an AWD setup? This would be fun in an older square body truck :icon_idea: :icon_rofl::icon_welder:
My thoughts exactly. IN for updates. (and all over the web now looking for a d28tc) LOL

I'd be a fan of a manual switch, and in the summertime keep the manual hubs unlocked.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Did you all notice the 5 bolt mounting pattern for the Dana 28? I know 2002 and up use a third mounting/bolt pattern that the Dana 28 won't fit. I thought some of the older Rangers had the 6 bolt pattern or is that V8 Explorers???

I got to get a couple more pics for the thread and get it wired-up to try the clutch.

A couple added benefits of this swap are that the Dana 28 has got to be 10-15lbs. lighter and it does not hang down as low as the BW 1354.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^its gone :(

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm definitely considering this for my new '91 short bed 2.3 4x4 as soon as insurance cuts me my check for my '92.....

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think with the TTB you're better off staying with regular 4wd. The TTB front ends were designed for part time engagement at lower off road speeds and low traction situations.

The front ends on these later model SLA Rangers are live axles designed to be turning all the time and at any speed. Considering that they share the same parts and design as the AWD Explorer, I think it's safe to say that they were designed to be used in higher traction situations like asphalt as well.

I like the idea too, if I thought it would hold up, I'd find a 4wd frame for my street truck project. I wouldn't trust it to survive street use and would be concerned about how the TTB would affect handling and steering at higher speeds on the street. For actual 4wd truck uses, I think it's better to stick with the TTB and part time 4wd. For street truck use I'd be trying to use the SLA suspension or stick to 2wd.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm pretty sure the dana28 tc was on early 90's aerostar vans, not the explorer. I don't know if the vans had ttb or sla. With an open front diff and a fluid clutch in the dana 28 tc, I don't think there would be any more problems for ttb than sla.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm pretty sure the dana28 tc was on early 90's aerostar vans, not the explorer.
:icon_confused: It was on the Aerostar, what's the Explorer got to do with it?

I don't know if the vans had ttb or sla. With an open front diff and a fluid clutch in the dana 28 tc, I don't think there would be any more problems for ttb than sla.
That transfer case did come in the Aerostar vans. They used an SLA suspension from the start in '86 and added AWD in '90. Explorers went to SLA in '95 and added AWD in '96. Then the Rangers went to SLA in '98, but never got the AWD.

I can't say that TTB won't handle being DD as an AWD, but I see it as more of an issue with the front axle than the driveline. I don't think it will respond to full time operation as well as a SLA front end. I also think that it might actually make the handling of the truck worse, but it's very possible that I am incorrect.

Reasons that I think this are that the hubs on a TTB were designed for part time use on dirt, not full time use on pavement, so who know how well they would hold up. The bearings in a TTB were never intended to be used in full time 4wd operation, while the live axle unit bearings were designed for the front axles to always be engaged. The TTB front axles shafts use a u-joint, while the SLA uses a CV joint. The latter is much smoother at transferring power over a wide range of speed and angles. There are also other issues that I've read over the years that leave me with the impression that it could be a bad idea, but I can't place my finger on what they were.

I could very well be wrong on all counts. I'm not the one with a TTB truck that wants to try it, so don't let me stop you from experimenting. If you do please start a thread for TTB AWD and let everyone know your results.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals