• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

manifold/catalytic converter flange seal?

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is my last major problem getting my truck back together. No matter what position I put the manifold and cat flange together at, it leaks. There is no gasket that I know of that goes between the two. any one have any tips on sealing this? The guy at the parts store told me to try copper RTV, but im worried it won't hold up. Anyone know anything to help me out on this? everything I find references a flange gasket that my truck apparently does not have.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There is a gasket. Or at least there should be.

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Exactly, I don't see why there wouldn't be one. But even a new manifold has the same lip on the end as my original one with no where to put the "doughnut" gasket like I've been told. This is a Dorman replacement with the same beveled lip as mine.

Now that Im home from work, heres some pics to help.

these are the gaskets my new cat came with

I know the one on the right goes between the intermediate pipe and cat, but have no idea how or where the second goes. Seeing as this is the type of joint thats leaking

And it goes together the same way as the old one did. any tips? Was kind of assuming the flat gasket was thrown in by mistake.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I refer to that as a ball and socket...I don't know if that is the correct term. AFAIK there is NO gasket. Clean both surfaces good and make sure there are no divots. You could try some rtv sealer as suggested, it would at least show where the leak is.
Good luck,
Richard

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-31360
Is the style i think your looking for but like the parts guy said copper rtv and make sure it lines up straight and hammer it down with the impact and go little by little on each side straight is key to keep them from leaking

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
If it continues to leak you could also use some muffler patch puddy around the ball and let it setup it should seal it fine.

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My old '90 2.3L Mustang had that exact manifold on it and there was no gasket.

Maybe the "socket" on the pipe is too big for the "ball?" Either that or the ball end on the manifold is pitted and allowing it to leak around the outside.

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As a desperate measure, I used copper RTV about 3 months ago now. I could not get it to seal in any direction with out it, and so far it has held up. If this fails, I will look at the manifold mating surface and see if its pitted really bad, and replace it.

ghunt81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Didn't realize this was 3 months old...oops!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
As a desperate measure, I used copper RTV about 3 months ago now. I could not get it to seal in any direction with out it, and so far it has held up. If this fails, I will look at the manifold mating surface and see if its pitted really bad, and replace it.
My Zuki Sidekick had a leak (after $2,000 worth of work) at the manifold in the same spot and I finally got fed up with the guy doing the work and took it home. I went to Canadian Tire and bought a bottle of "Liquid Metal". This stuff is designed to harden with heat so I applied a layer or two and ran the engine...when I still heard a small leak I let it cool and applied another layer or two until it finally sealed it...

If the stuff you used doesn't work out long term try the liquid metal...it was on for many years...right up until I scrapped the truck (three or four years later) and passed emission testing twice in that period with that stuff baked on...

Didn't realize this was 3 months old...oops!
There have been members pulling up posts from way back when the website started...so a few months is not that hard to do...it takes real creative genius to go back eight years and reply to someone as if they posted yesterday...:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals