• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 Ford Ranger 2.3L 4x4 crank pully HELP

ramzzhakim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
SO I have an 86 ford ranger, fuel injected, 2.3l, 4x4 manufactured 9/86 in dearborn. The crank pully is bent. It got messed up bad getting it off for the timing belt and I cannot, for the life of me, find another. I have been to FIVE different junkyards and I work for Orielly auto parts and thus have scoured everywhere at work and picked their brains for it. Nobody can find one.
I am willing to pay for one or if someone knows a different engine or crank pully I can use any info at all is mega appreciated. It has 2 different pullys on it but the outer im assuming is for AC, which I dont have. Attached is some pictures. I even went to the ford Dealership and they couldnt tell me anything.

I can give out a vin or any other info you guys need. Just need something. This ranger is quite sentimental to me and I want so badly to keep this engine.

http://imgur.com/a/slhYF

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This engine is really an 86, and not a replacement from a later model? I thought everything was regular V-belts at that point.

ramzzhakim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Bought right off the lot 0 miles on it and never had an engine swap. THe IAC is on the filter housing though which pegged me as very weird but as far as I know its original engine. 300k original miles. :p

*edit spelling

ramzzhakim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
At the same time though ive looked at newer engines for the crank pully as well but they have a completely different style of pully

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If it helps, it's part #E3TZ6312A, and was used on 1984-88 Rangers (2.0 & 2.3l engines), 1986-87 Aerostars (2.3l engine) and 1987-90 Mustang LX's (2.3l engine).

Also, it's discontinued.

A junkyard is probably still your best bet.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I have a really weird part I need I get on eBay and find guys parting out vehicles that MIGHT have my part.
I make a proper email for the part and copy it to my computer. Then I send it to as many guys that I think might be of help.
I have never failed to get the needed part even though it was not advertised.
Big Jim

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This engine is really an 86, and not a replacement from a later model? I thought everything was regular V-belts at that point.
all 4cyl rangers got a serpentine setup right from the beginning :headbang:

To the original poster, the pulley from an '89-'91 2.3 ranger should also work but you need to grab the hub assembly that it bolts to also.

ramzzhakim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
That one says it's for a 2.0 not a 2.3, not sure if you noticed or if it matters at all but I thought I'd point it out.

ramzzhakim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
That one says it's for a 2.0 not a 2.3, not sure if you noticed or if it matters at all but I thought I'd point it out.
Overall they are 90% the same engine and so long as it fits on the crank I should be fine as far as I know, being all internally balanced and everything. This again, AS FAR AS I KNOW. Im hoping someone with vast knowledge can fly in and spew some learnin on me.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As I posted above, the pulley for the Ranger 2.0l and 2.3l is the same, from '84-88.

To the original poster, the pulley from an '89-'91 2.3 ranger should also work but you need to grab the hub assembly that it bolts to also.
The part # for the '89-91 Ranger is different than for the '84-88, so I'd be wary of getting one unless you can see and measure it yourself.

Apparently everyone missed it; I supplied a vehicle cross-reference above, that same part was used on Rangers, Aerostars, and Mustang LX's, for various years. Info pulled from HERE.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know about SE Idaho; but, a big yard can do a parts search for you and probably/ maybe locate one. They can then get it shipped to you or them. Just an idea.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know about SE Idaho; but, a big yard can do a parts search for you and probably/ maybe locate one. They can then get it shipped to you or them. Just an idea.
Was that intended for me? I'm in SE Idaho, but I'm not the one looking for the pulley. I don't know where the OP is.

The biggest yard near me just went to a pure "pull it yourself" format and doesn't keep inventory databases or look for or ship parts (but they cleaned the lot up tremendously from what the previous management used to do.)

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, I guess I can't read, I thought I was looking at the first post when I checked location and made the comment.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals