• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Old Computers - Do NOT throw them Away!**

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My work has just bought new computers. I am not sure if they will want to get rid of the old ones, but I can ask. I know they like to keep some of them for awhile just in case we ever need any information off of them. Here is the inventory that we have so far:

Dell:

Qty:
2 - Dimension 4300
1 - Dimension 3000
1 - Dimension 4600
2 - Optiplex GX260
1 - Precision 450
(I believe all of the Dell's have Windows XP)

IBM:
2 - Aptiva Model E2U (Windows 95)
2 - Aptiva Model E26 (Windows 98)

I know for a fact they would get rid of the IBM computers. It's the Dells that I am not sure of and would have to ask. Most of the Dell PC's work great, 2 for sure have crashed, and either way we would probably keep the hard drives in them. They all have DVD or DVD/RW drives. The IBM PC's were replaced by the Dells about 6 or 7 years ago and don't know their condition except they turn on. If you are interested let me know, if you paid the shipping you could probably just have them, but again, I would have to ask the boss.
Anything running they will turn lose of, I would be more than happy to have. Let me know what they will let go and how much shipping to 40213 would be and I will cover the cost.

I have a Dell Inspirion B130 laptop, not sure if I have the power supply for it though. I will look for it. I'm not sure what size HD or ram it has, but it does have Ethernet plug as well as phone modem plug, also had DVD drive and 3 USB ports. It was running windows XP home before it got a virus and crashed.

Would you still want it without the power supply? Let me know, I would be happy to send it to you.

I think this is a very cool thing you are trying to do, and I am happy to help anyway I can.
I sure will take it. I can always find a power supply.

Let me know what shipping cost is to 40213 and I will cover the cost of shipping.

Thanks man!

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll have to look. I have some computer parts. Hd, ram sticks ect.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet, thanks.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Hey Maurice, I sent you a PM, are you still doing this?

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just a heads up if you are getting rid of your computers or components, make sure you do a multi-pass on the hard drive to get rid of all information that is on it. Personally, I use http://eraser.heidi.ie/ The first thing I do is a DoD 3 pass (at the bare minimum) and re-install the OS for whomever is getting it. I also do the same thing for those who have been overwhelmed with viruses. It runs random passes across the hard drive disk with 1's and 0's.

Summary, if you have ever entered ANY sensitive information you SHOULD do a multi-pass format with a program such as Eraser to get rid of it.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
pm sent, let me know.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Just a heads up if you are getting rid of your computers or components, make sure you do a multi-pass on the hard drive to get rid of all information that is on it. Personally, I use http://eraser.heidi.ie/ The first thing I do is a DoD 3 pass (at the bare minimum) and re-install the OS for whomever is getting it. I also do the same thing for those who have been overwhelmed with viruses. It runs random passes across the hard drive disk with 1's and 0's.

Summary, if you have ever entered ANY sensitive information you SHOULD do a multi-pass format with a program such as Eraser to get rid of it.
and if you pick up a computer off the curb or out of your local recycling and you scan through the hard drive to recover their iTunes library or collection of mp3's be aware that atleast half of any recovered music library will be stuff you've already got... and likely didn't want in the first place... LOL

ranger2.9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
Still doin this I gave an old hp f disced. Reloaded windows 98. Cd burner ethernet ect. Collecting dust. I wanted to donste but havent come across anyone.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have given up on giving away (locally) computers that are not new enough to use SATA drives. they really aren't worth shipping anywhere

the thing is IDE drives are no longer in production and are sufficiently uneconomical
that they are no longer worth considering.
the reality is that you can typically buy a 500gb SATA drive for <$60,
but the cheapest IDE drive is ~$75.

IDE notebook drives are becoming "unobtanium"

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
It all sounds great, but in many cases the older computers just aren't useful for anything. I have an old Micron Client Pro with Windows 98 on it, problem is it is still too fast for the old games I like to play LOL. However, several years ago, we had bought a new Micron computer and it had so many problems it seemed like about once a week I had to take it back to them to have it fixed. So that old computer which I originally bought at a yard sale for $20 and did a few upgrades to it, would be pulled off my desk and hooked up for internet access until the new computer was repaired. The new micron was thrown in the scrap trailer, but the old one is still working...Newer isn't always better LOL.

When I was in high school, we had a shed full of old computers, we actually did the exact same thing, took them out went through them repaired, upgraded, etc. then gave them to less fortunate kits.

The computer I use now is running Windows Vista, I upgraded it a bit with a 2nd hard drive, took it up to its maximum memory capacity of 8GB. Other than that I haven't done much to it. Its at least 5 years old, might be older than that can't remember for sure. This is also an el-cheapo Acer from Tiger Direct. Its starting to show its age a bit...ok well more like just so much stuff cluttering up the hard drive, but it still seems to be a faster machine than the newer ones on the market.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
It works just fine, can't afford to change it so it is what it is. I hate windows 8, so if I had to update I'd go with windows 7. Windows 8 is too tablet computer and app oriented for my taste. Not to mention the cost of a replacement computer that is outdated when you plug it in is ridiculous.

I still have a dumb phone too...ok well according to today's standards a Blackberry Tour is a dumb phone LOL.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Although my current computer is still running Windows XP, it seems to be keeping up with most things...I haven't tried installing anything more complicated than AV software and firewalls...but I'm getting a bit antsy about upgrading the OS because of potential compatibility issues though...

This is the GX520 that I found in the garbage 3 or 4 years ago...the guy threw it out because the monitor stopped working...

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Windows 8 is too tablet computer and app oriented for my taste.
Windows 8 can be setup to look just like XP, 7 etc. You can run a XP type desktop with XP type icons for your programs and access the internet the same way you do in XP. You don't have to use the 'tile' screen that I believe you're referring to. And in the right computer it's way faster. I'm running 8.1 in both of my laptops. My main computer is running XP with Firefox. Adequate but not nearly as fast as either laptop.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Although my current computer is still running Windows XP, it seems to be keeping up with most things...I haven't tried installing anything more complicated than AV software and firewalls...but I'm getting a bit antsy about upgrading the OS because of potential compatibility issues though...

This is the GX520 that I found in the garbage 3 or 4 years ago...the guy threw it out because the monitor stopped working...
im running xp as well, working just fine for me. why fix what aint broke, right? :shok:

mjonesjr, are you still doing this? looks like your thread's gotten a little off topic, but if youre still up for it, ive got some goodies i can send your way. PM me!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals