• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Plan your work and work your plan

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
That's exactly what I didn't do when I started my water pump replacement job. (Fan Clutch Removal 4.0 thread).

I'm doing head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, valve seals, timing chain and guides, but before I can do most of this I need to evacuate the R134 from the A/C.
I read on a Nissan forum a DIY recovery method using empty R134 cans to capture the refrigerant, and using dry ice and isopropyl alcohol to cool the cans so that the refrigerant would flow from the A/C system into the cans. Care must be taken not to capture more than 12 oz. per can (or whatever the capacity of the can is to begin with. Has anyone had experience with this method?
Otherwise it seems the motor must be running to do the R134 recovery. I'll need to install the water pump so I can run the engine. From what I've read when I get to the timing chain part of the job I will be able to leave the water pump attached to the front engine cover, so that won't be so bad, but I wish I had waited and done the water pump at the very end on the project.

coopab

NIPs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.5L 4Cyl
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
One shot one Kill
Go to a shop if u can and ask if they can just do a recovery, they shouldn't charge u but if u do it might $20

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Go to a shop if u can and ask if they can just do a recovery, they shouldn't charge u but if u do it might $20

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion. I put the new water pump on today and had a local garage recover what little R134 was in the system. Now I can move forward with all the other repairs I've got planned.

EDIT: Now that I can proceed ahead with my projects, should I start by doing the timing chain, guides, and front cover gasket?
After that I'll be replacing head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, valve guide seals, etc.

Or should I do the topside work while I have the front engine cover open?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals