• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best Parts for tune-up?

lupinajs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,
I just purchased a 1996 b2300 4cyl. Automatic. The truck has 103,000 miles on it. I got the timing belt changed but could definitely use some new parts and tune up. Asking for advice on what parts to replace which will give me most bang for my buck. Spark plugs coils radiator hoses air filter? Not too familiar with these trucks and the parts associated with them but would like to get it up and running strong. Truck doesn't have major issues just idles a little choppy and not a lot of power. I only replaced the battery (which was from 2004) and changed the oil other than the timing belt.
Any input appreciated, thanks!

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its all about preference really. I prefer ngk spark plugs. Cheap work good. I'd buy a decent set of wires. Not the cheapest but a good quality set. If the hoses or belts are cracked replace them with a brand of your choosing. I prefer gates.

If you really have only done that to the truck. I highly suggest you replace the transmission fluid and filter and replace the oil in the rear axle. Neither of those should be neglected.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Spark plugs and wits stick with OEM. Motocraft.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You're going to get about as many answers as there are opinions on the board, but I'll throw in my nickel's-worth. My personal preference for a 100K tune-up is plugs, I use Autolite platinum or Iridium - Motorcraft is actually just Autolite's re-branded, so they're = to OEM, same for the wires, you can buy Autolite wires @ Advance. I like to use Motorcraft filters for fuel and trans(in an auto) though I tend to shy away from Fram's stuff. I also like to go ahead and change the engine and trans oil at 100K just so I can easily keep track of scheduled changes by glancing at the odometer. Motorcraft oil seems to be the best priced semi-synthetic out there which is convenient since that's my preference anyway. Most people neglect to change the oil in the rear dif. and the PCV valve. I also spot-check the hoses, and replace the belt(s) whether they need it or not with either a Gates, Dayco, or a GatorBack, and keep the old one stashed away as a spare. It's also a good time to do a fuel injection flush, but I've been accused of getting carried away when I mention that one, so maybe that's just me being anal-retentive.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

lupinajs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Does this truck have a cap or coils? Any suggesting changing that too? I'm going to do the air, fuel, and tranny filters, clean MAF, do plugs and wires, and a pcv. Been doing some other looking around what do you guys think about the throttle position sensor and o2 sensors? For another $75 is can't hurt right?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No reason to replace sensors or coils that are functioning properly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals