• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS on a 91 ranger or rebuild ttb?

91TheHoff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Which route ttb rebuild or SAS will be more cost efficient? Ttb needs ring and pinion rebuild, some cracked seals, axle shafts(maybe) . But tearing a ttb apart is a complex job. What would it cost me to do a SAS? The truck already has a 4 inch rough country lift, what do I need to make this happen? I would take the ttb to be rebuilt but if I decided on a SAS my friends and I would probably do it. Let me know your opinions and give any advice. Thanks fellas:headbang:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Rebuild is always cheaper, however there are pros to going solid axle. It also depends on which axle you are going to use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
TTB Axles really aren't that complicated to disassemble. Granted, it is tricky the first time around. Expect the lower coil retainer nut to be a PITA to remove. I would buy a used 3rd member before I rebuilt one in your situation (if you're running stock gears). I would upgrade to 760x joints, I would do the C-clip eliminator modification, and I would upgrade all steering & ball joints to MOOG.

91TheHoff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Id most likely use a dana 30 from a wrangler or i could find an older Dana 44. The labor costs for the rebuild would cost more than the self labor of a SAS right? I honestly like the TTB, it handles good, absorbs bumps and get bad ass traction all the time. BUT I know the reliability, simplicity, and toughness of a SA. If any of you know anything about trannys, check out my other post! thanks man

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
There's not much to a TTB D35.

Rebuild parts:

- Used diff with new seals - $200
- Spring for C-clip eliminator - $2
- 3 u-joints - $60 for good ones
- spindle bearing/seal kit - $10/kit (broncograveyard.com)
- upper/lower ball joints - $35/side (broncograveyard.com)
- inner/outer wheel bearings with seals - $40/side
- Pivot bushings - $25 (broncograveyard.com)
- Radius arm bushings. - $30ish (broncograveyard.com)

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would rebuild it. I rebuilt mine (not r and put) but like said I would buy a used 3rd. When I did my front end it was the first I have done. Shop told me the book called for 8 hours per side. I can tear it apart and put it back together in about 2 hours. Its not hard. Its actually straight forward.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Id most likely use a dana 30 from a wrangler or i could find an older Dana 44. The labor costs for the rebuild would cost more than the self labor of a SAS right? I honestly like the TTB, it handles good, absorbs bumps and get bad ass traction all the time. BUT I know the reliability, simplicity, and toughness of a SA. If any of you know anything about trannys, check out my other post! thanks man
A Dana30 would be going backwards. A D44 at least offers you bigger brakes.

I agree though... If you can rebuild a SA, you can rebuild a TTB. The only major differences are the passengerside slip-shaft & u-joint (circlip inside the diff), and the diff removes from the 'cover' rather than the cover from the diff.
Ball joints, wheelbearings, spindles, gear setup, u-joints... All that stuff comes apart the same using the same tools.

I strongly suggest Raybestos "Professional Grade" balljoints over Moog... I used Moogs and they didn't last 5K, my oldest Raybestos (Spicer) joints are now 12 years old and still going.

Raybestos pt#
500-1066 (upper)
505-1145 (lower)

91TheHoff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How long do you think the rebuild would take with the help of a friend or two?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I full day, easily.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals