• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.6 4r70w swap

purperformance

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone attempted this swap? I have a thunderbird that came factory with this combination which would be a great donor car. I am also curious as to whether or not there is anyway to put a t-case on the back of a 4r70w (2wd) transmission. Any information would be greatly appreciated. By the way the vehicle that I am going to attempt to do this swap on is a 1995 ford ranger 2.3 2wd.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
4.6 swaps have been done. i think they used f-150 trannys rather then t-bird cases.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
As far as I know, all 2wd 4.6/5.4 4R70Ws use the same case. To put a T-case on one you could get the output shaft and tailhousing from a '96-'01 V8 Explorer (also a 4R70W) and use the AWD T-case. The one 4.6 swap into a 4x4 Ranger that I've seen used the trans/T-case from an Expodition.

In your '95 Ranger the steering box is in a very bad spot for doing a 4.6 swap. The water neck, oil filter, and ps pump on the 4.6 want to take up the same space as the box. There has been one 4.6 swap done in a '97-earlier Ranger and he elected to change the steering box to one that bolts outside the frame.

For the easiest Ranger/4.6 swap use a '98-up 2wd. The frame is wider, the front half is boxed, and the rack-n-pinion steering clears everything.

Greg

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Why would you need a transfer case in a 2WD ?:dunno:

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
I am also curious as to whether or not there is anyway to put a t-case on the back of a 4r70w (2wd) transmission.
I think he was just wondering if it could be done. I hope he wasn't planning on putting a t-case in his 2wd.

purperformance

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
No I am not putting a t-case on a 2wd, I work at a large 4wd shop in St. Charles Mo, (first capitol 4wd). Anyway and we have a couple dana 44's laying around. I got this truck for free and thought it would be a good project. Doesn't the mazda steering box bolt to the outside of the frame?That would eliminate one issue, and I don't care if it has a/c, it doesn't work now anyway. I appreciate the info so far, so I need to find 96-01 t-case and tailhaft housing from an explorer. Shouldn't be an issue. Willl the stock manifolds work? By the way mine is a sohc.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
The person you should contact goes by the name dlibson on RPS and modularfords. He put a sohc into an '85 Ranger. He would have the best idea of what you'd need.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals