• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Ranger 3.0Lv6 flex fuel engine locked up...

tiger_2rose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 1999 Ford Ranger 3.0L v6 flex fuel engine just locked up on me... I've been looking for the same type of engine to do a clean swap but haven't found any around me for a decent price... I found an engine from a 2002 Ford Ranger 3.0 flex as well but wasn't sure if it would fit my '99. Can anyone tell me if it will? If so, would it be a clean swap or would I have to change anything else? If not, what other engines would fit without having to do too much extra work? Also, my truck is 4x4 and automatic.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Should line up as long as it's ohv.. And since it's a ranger it is most likely ohv. You may need to do a ecu swap. Sorry I'm not too much help.. I know my 99 had to get its engine swapped, and according to the block stamp it's a 97.. The 3.0 Vulcan didn't change much so I don't see that you'd have any issues bolting up to the tranny or engine mounts.. Look up in the tech section and talks all about the 3.0 and it should answer any questions you have

tiger_2rose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I'll check that out. Thanks a lot.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 1999 Ford Ranger 3.0L v6 flex fuel engine just locked up on me... I've been looking for the same type of engine to do a clean swap but haven't found any around me for a decent price... I found an engine from a 2002 Ford Ranger 3.0 flex as well but wasn't sure if it would fit my '99. Can anyone tell me if it will? If so, would it be a clean swap or would I have to change anything else? If not, what other engines would fit without having to do too much extra work? Also, my truck is 4x4 and automatic.
I don't know every detail but you can use 3.0 from a Taurus if you pull the heads and get different head gaskets.

Just curious? Did you cam syncro fail?

tiger_2rose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I've heard that too. Thanks.

You know what myself nor my husband have gotten a chance to look under the hood yet. Long story short the truck is in my brother's garage in Illinois and we live in Indiana, so since my husband gets home late from work and I don't have a vehicle to get out there, we haven't had time to go and check it out.. All's I know is that the starter won't work and when we try to turn it on it won't turn over.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
I don't know every detail but you can use 3.0 from a Taurus if you pull the heads and get different head gaskets.

Just curious? Did you cam syncro fail?
Yeah double that, the rwd and fwd head gaskets are different because of the water jackets. Also if you have a manual tranny make sure you get the flywheel for the year of the crankshaft in your engine, I had an that kind of issue when I got my motor back from the machinist.. (My crank was for a 99 but the block was a 97).. Any other questions or issues you have ask away, I pulled that engine twice so I learned it pretty well

oldcrowalki

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I've heard that too. Thanks.

You know what myself nor my husband have gotten a chance to look under the hood yet. Long story short the truck is in my brother's garage in Illinois and we live in Indiana, so since my husband gets home late from work and I don't have a vehicle to get out there, we haven't had time to go and check it out.. All's I know is that the starter won't work and when we try to turn it on it won't turn over.
Sounds like it could be any number of things: battery, starter, etc.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals