• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Input please?

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So,I have a '94 suburban. I know, I know....Stupid....but it was cheap, and I got 3 kids, so I thought it was a good idea. Well, it dont have a back seat, nor does it have the shit to put the rear seat in it. So, I am trying to sell it. Guy emails me, asking if I want to trade for a '95 ex-cab, 4 banger/5speed ranger. He says he got in a "fender bender" that bent the bumper, and deployed the bag. says it runs and drives fine.....

My question to the infinite wisdom of TRS....Should I get it? I have some mechanical ability....I can replace a bumper, pound out a fender. I cannot however straighten a frame, nor do I have the funds to ask someone else to.

Little backstory, this thing will eventually have a better engine (Either a turbo 4, a 4.0, or a v8----not sure which yet), and a solid front axle and t-case. Until then, It will be my winter beater.

I emailed back asking if it has a clean title, and asking for pictures of the damage. If I post the pics, Could you guys do your best to help survey the damage?

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Im pretty sure we can help figure some things out...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think air bag deploys at 35mph and above impacts.
The 1995 only has the drivers side air bag, not hard to replace, I saw one on ebay for $60
You can't "legally" drive an airbag equipped vehicle without a working airbag, just FYI.

If you get the seller to drive the truck while you follow, you can usually see if frame is bent enough to be worried about, 4 wheel alignment isn't too expensive in my area, $140

Last edited:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
When you say the suburban doesn't have a back seat, are you talking about the third row seat...or mean it doesnt have one at all? Sounds like a simple trip to the junkyard to me..better than trading it for a salvage ranger.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Burb is a better kid mobile , What ever it is missing, shouldn't be harder than pounding out a a smooshed Ranger. :D

fordracing60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Install a rear seat and belts. Like Zman and Andy say Its better and safer for the lil ones. A extended cab ranger will be too small for ya all.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I am thinking the real issue here is that you were dumb enough to buy a vehicle that is missing it's back seat for a kiddie carrier.

Go hit up the junk yard.

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im pretty sure we can help figure some things out...
Thats what I was hoping

I think air bag deploys at 35mph and above impacts.
The 1995 only has the drivers side air bag, not hard to replace, I saw one on ebay for $60
You can't "legally" drive an airbag equipped vehicle without a working airbag, just FYI.

If you get the seller to drive the truck while you follow, you can usually see if frame is bent enough to be worried about, 4 wheel alignment isn't too expensive in my area, $140
I honestly didn't know that about airbag vehicles.....So swapping the steering wheel to aftermarket is illegal?

When you say the suburban doesn't have a back seat, are you talking about the third row seat...or mean it doesnt have one at all? Sounds like a simple trip to the junkyard to me..better than trading it for a salvage ranger.
Third row....it was an old first responder burban, so it had cargo in the back, no third seat. A friend told me I didn't even have the right bracketry....

Burb is a better kid mobile , What ever it is missing, shouldn't be harder than pounding out a a smooshed Ranger. :D
Not smooshed, see pictures. And, the kids are still small....all under 10. We have a Jeep Liberty is we need to travel as a family or something too....

Install a rear seat and belts. Like Zman and Andy say Its better and safer for the lil ones. A extended cab ranger will be too small for ya all.
I see what you're saying, but I am really a ford guy.....I don't do chevys. The second time I drove it was at night. The dome light didn't work,and it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to turn on the headlights.....:icon_confused:

I am thinking the real issue here is that you were dumb enough to buy a vehicle that is missing it's back seat for a kiddie carrier.

Go hit up the junk yard.
Ouch! No, I was dumb enough to listen to my Chevy loving friend that said the third row seats are a dime a dozen, then when I get it home, tells me I don't even have the brackets to put a rear seat in it.....

Damn.....Can't upload pics.....yet. workin on it, please hold

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Air bag thing depends greatly on local laws. Since it is a supplemental system and not the primary restraints the only federal law is that it has to be present on new vehicles past a certain year.

Check with your local safety inspection station or state police barracks to find out what your local laws are.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Burbans are sub in gas consumption to a Ranger...but safer...way safer...

If it were my kids and my call I'd make a back seat out of something else...I'm sure you could retro fit a newer couch seat from another Chevy to work...3 kids will fit in a Ranger if it has the bench front seat...you're SOL if it's buckets though...

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
A member on another ranger forum actually just added a third row seat to his tahoe, he posted a bunch of detailed pics of how he did it on facebook. Well, of the seatbelts anyway. I could post them in here if you want...he even added the rear a/c.

The whole airbag thing..I've personally driven a couple salvage title Rangers that did not have the airbag replaced and they passed inspection, just took it out and glued the cover back together on the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
We had a Suburban with a plow on it when I was a State Trooper in Chardon. I loved the thing. I use to plow snow with it and use it as a patrol vehicle when I worked midnites in the winter. I would've liked to have it as my personal vehicle, even if it did have a bowtie on it.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
We had a Suburban with a plow on it when I was a State Trooper in Chardon. I loved the thing. I use to plow snow with it and use it as a patrol vehicle when I worked midnites in the winter. I would've liked to have it as my personal vehicle, even if it did have a bowtie on it.
Oh no:shok:. Not Jim, they got Jim. Noooooo:bawling:... Thou in all reallity i do like my little brothers 92 gmc sierra 1500... No i said like not love, only reason being is that big old 350. One day my little truck will have a new heart that will put the 350 to shame:thefinger:...

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Don't worry. I cured it with my Expedition EL. Fords answer to the Suburban.

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like the power of the burban, dont get me wrong....but I got a special place in my heart for rangers.....much to my wife's dismay......LOL

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals