• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

starting a ford ranger with no key

hollywoodman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I am trying to buy this 90 ford ranger for parts but they lost the keys and I want to find out if there is a way to start it without the key?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Open up the steering column trim, take the switch off the column (this does require a security torx bit) and then push the little notch all the way forward.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Start it or drive it?

Assuming 2.9l engine with TFI ignition
Run wire from + battery to + on coil, you should hear EEC relay click when you do this, also fuel pump should come on for 2 seconds

MAKE SURE trans is in PARK or NEUTRAL!!!

Use screwdriver to jump solenoid for starter motor, or jumper wire from + battery to "S" on solenoid(the small terminal)

Steering wheel would still be locked

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Start it or drive it?

Assuming 2.9l engine with TFI ignition
Run wire from + battery to + on coil, you should hear EEC relay click when you do this, also fuel pump should come on for 2 seconds

MAKE SURE trans is in PARK or NEUTRAL!!!

Use screwdriver to jump solenoid for starter motor, or jumper wire from + battery to "S" on solenoid(the small terminal)

Steering wheel would still be locked
That sounds like a lot of work when you can just pop the ignition switch off and flip it.

Also, I don't think that will power up the ignition system. The TFI powers up off the ignition switch, not the EEC relay.

Last edited:

mklickner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_idea: Take bottom trim off steering column, try to take a small drill bit and drill the locking pin out of the tumbler set, buy the tumbler set for $14, slide it in, and your good to go. Its better to do something the right way than have to fix it again in the future.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That sounds like a lot of work when you can just pop the ignition switch off and flip it.

Also, I don't think that will power up the ignition system. The TFI powers up off the ignition switch, not the EEC relay.
According to electrical diagrams the key powers a bus with the + coil as part of it, so putting power to the + coil should power the TFI and also the EEC relay for the PCM and fuel injection.
That was just the easiest place I saw that was also easy to find.

But I agree if you can pop the key switch then that would be better.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You all make things way to complicated...

Find a key of the same style.
Insert it into the ignition.
Grab key and tumbler ears with medium sized channel-locks.
With one quick motion, turn it on.

Congrats you just broke the tumbler, now do whatever you want.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
According to electrical diagrams the key powers a bus with the + coil as part of it, so putting power to the + coil should power the TFI and also the EEC relay for the PCM and fuel injection.
That was just the easiest place I saw that was also easy to find.

But I agree if you can pop the key switch then that would be better.
I never looked at the big running block diagram. I've only ever looked at the systems in isolation, but I suppose that would make sense. It all comes back to two wires on one pin at the switch, so anything with key-switched power should be able to be powered up by putting power to any one point on the line.

You all make things way to complicated...

Find a key of the same style.
Insert it into the ignition.
Grab key and tumbler ears with medium sized channel-locks.
With one quick motion, turn it on.

Congrats you just broke the tumbler, now do whatever you want.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
That sounds like effort. I much prefer what I did with my truck, which is to just wear the cylinder out so bad that it turns without the key most of the time.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
That sounds like effort. I much prefer what I did with my truck, which is to just wear the cylinder out so bad that it turns without the key most of the time.[/QUOTE]

Just started the Rat today without the key. 4 out 5 of my Grand Wagoneers didnt need a key. The lock was a GM part from the 50s :D

PS , if you get the dash lights going , you have jumped it correctly and crossing the solenoid will start the engine.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Go to the junkyard and swipe all the Ford keys you can find...one of them will probably start the truck without having to go through all the rigamarole of jumping and crossing wires...anything prior to when they introduced security locks...

I'm almost willing to bet that my keys will start your truck...almost...lol

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Open up the steering column trim, take the switch off the column (this does require a security torx bit) and then push the little notch all the way forward.
Where is the ignition switch box thing that was that switch off/start/ect.... Saw it on a post earlier can't find it now...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got a 2000 4cyl Ranger. No key. Took off all plastic interior panels around drive side... There's a yellow wire sleeve with like 8 or more wires coming out that runs along bottom of column, then split into 2 groups that run into plugs iton column. Can I use these wires to hotwire, if so which ones?..... If your worried about theft regarding posts, I'll post a pic and you will see

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Where is the ignition switch box thing that was that switch off/start/ect.... Saw it on a post earlier can't find it now...
Got a 2000 4cyl Ranger. No key. Took off all plastic interior panels around drive side... There's a yellow wire sleeve with like 8 or more wires coming out that runs along bottom of column, then split into 2 groups that run into plugs iton column. Can I use these wires to hotwire, if so which ones?..... If your worried about theft regarding posts, I'll post a pic and you will see
Old thread 2013

Ignition switch is under steering column above brake pedal

2000 Ranger can't be "hot wired", it has PATS(passive anti-theft system)

PATS disables the Computer so fuel injectors won't work, no by-pass for that

A Mobile Locksmith that has Ford software on a laptop can come out and make a PATS key that fits the lock, well 2 of them, then can use the laptop to add the news keys to the PATS system

You can hot wire the starter and you can hot wire the spark, but there is no way to hot wire fuel injectors, and computer won't work unless PATS works

Sorry disregard above
2000 Ranger 4cyl did NOT have PATS, just the V6 models did

Pull out one of the door lock cylinders and take it to a locksmith to see if they can cut a key that fits
Ignition lock has one extra hump or valley but door cut key make still work in an older ignition switch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Old thread 2013

Ignition switch is under steering column above brake pedal

2000 Ranger can't be "hot wired", it has PATS(passive anti-theft system)

PATS disables the Computer so fuel injectors won't work, no by-pass for that

A Mobile Locksmith that has Ford software on a laptop can come out and make a PATS key that fits the lock, well 2 of them, then can use the laptop to add the news keys to the PATS system

You can hot wire the starter and you can hot wire the spark, but there is no way to hot wire fuel injectors, and computer won't work unless PATS works

Sorry disregard above
2000 Ranger 4cyl did NOT have PATS, just the V6 models did

Pull out one of the door lock cylinders and take it to a locksmith to see if they can cut a key that fits
Ignition lock has one extra hump or valley but door cut key make still work in an older ignition switch
I just pulled the switch box out and slide the switch to start. Now the trick is how do I unlock steering wheel?..... I only paid 170 dollars bfor truck so I'm not spending any money on it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Simple diagram of what steering wheel lock looks like: https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-5a776f7c8328d0bc25745c2e866c747a.webp

When the key switch is turned to OFF or ACC, a pin slides up and engages slots on the under side of steering wheel

Not sure if you can see the pin with clam shell cover removed, but maybe

I have seen/read of people just yanking on steering wheel one way then the other to break the pin loose........but............
You DO NOT want that pin to re-engage while driving, i.e. going around a corner, lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals