• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1st time pulling a transmission, need directions. 1985 Ford Ranger 4x4

4x4countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1985 Ford Ranger 4x4 5-speed. I have to pull the transmission because it is stuck in 3rd gear, the previous owner slammed it into gear in a mud pit and so it has been stuck ever since, it did still drive while in that gear so I dont think any gears are broke, just that the rod broke or something because the stick just wobbles now. any help or advice is appreciated! Thanks

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd pull the shifter out and look inside. I had a trans stuck in fourth and was able to move stuff inside to make it unlock. When they get older sometimes things jam up. make all the parts inside look exactly the same from side to side and top to bottom with a looong screwdriver, and then put the shifter back in.
There are a few recent threads about this so if you need more details do a search.
Good luck,

Richard

4x4countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd pull the shifter out and look inside. I had a trans stuck in fourth and was able to move stuff inside to make it unlock. When they get older sometimes things jam up. make all the parts inside look exactly the same from side to side and top to bottom with a looong screwdriver, and then put the shifter back in.
There are a few recent threads about this so if you need more details do a search.
Good luck,

Richard
so would I need to drain the oil to do this? I took off the shifter and did not see much down there other than the rod that runs horizontal that the ball of the shifter rests in. There may have been more but I could not see through all the oil below that......what about the plate that is on the bottom of the trans. will I be able to access anything through there? I do not have any side plates on my trans.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You might be able to see something worth seeing through the bottom, might be worth trying before pulling the trans out.

Trans removal is a lot of work, but it isn't hard.

Unhook battery, remove starter, remove shifter(s), remove drive shaft(s), remove two top bell housing bolts, easiest accessed from up in the engine bay (go buy a 13mm flex head ratcheting wrench). Get the Y-pipe out of the way. Place a jack under the trans (go to harbor freight, spend the $80 or so for the ratchet operated trans jack, it's worth it) and then take the cross member out. Let the jack down a little, unhook the clutch line (should be a butterfly pin up near 11:00) take the remaining 6 bell bolts out, and then pop the trans back.

It's not hard.

4x4countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You might be able to see something worth seeing through the bottom, might be worth trying before pulling the trans out.

Trans removal is a lot of work, but it isn't hard.

Unhook battery, remove starter, remove shifter(s), remove drive shaft(s), remove two top bell housing bolts, easiest accessed from up in the engine bay (go buy a 13mm flex head ratcheting wrench). Get the Y-pipe out of the way. Place a jack under the trans (go to harbor freight, spend the $80 or so for the ratchet operated trans jack, it's worth it) and then take the cross member out. Let the jack down a little, unhook the clutch line (should be a butterfly pin up near 11:00) take the remaining 6 bell bolts out, and then pop the trans back.

It's not hard.
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for. :icon_thumby:

4x4countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
how do I unhook the clutch line? and do I unhook it from the bellhousing or the firewall?

4x4countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got it all out from under the truck, thank you for the guidance

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals