• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1st Generation Front End Conversion (changing a 92' to 88'- front)

Eye for an Eye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys!

Wanting to convert my 1992 Ranger to the 1988- Ranger front end style (2nd gen to 1st gen front)**.

I know this gets asked a bit for the new body styles, but after some convincing from a few others on TRS forums I decided to post since this question since there is lackluster information on the subject if you search, the information is blotchy without pictures and detailed info.

Does anyone have pictures or another way of explaining what is needed for it to be done? I am a pretty visual person and have found a parts truck in a drivable distance.

Lets format it:
-Difficulty 1-10
-Parts list (what I need to grab off the truck)
-What modifications (if any) need to be done

Please only reply if you have experience, thanks a ton!

**Only considering this because the Ranger I bought is rusted beyond belief on the front panels/hood anyway.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Going the other way is much more common (for some reason) if you pose your search in the regard you may return more.

I am stunned beyond belief we do not have a write-up on this in the library, it is asked frequently.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I am stunned beyond belief we do not have a write-up on this in the library, it is asked frequently.
i know right? :icon_confused:

knowing what i know from when i did my swap, i think that it will be much more difficult to go backwards. i think due to the 1st gen headlights needing to mount directly to the core-support, instead of a header panel, you will need to drill out the spot welds and weld in a 1st gen core support.

usually the 2nd gen headlights mount over the unneeded mounts on the 1st gen core support. just covering them. but when going backwards, the needed headlight mounts/cutouts would not be there

you could do what MOABB2 did and make a tubular core support that welds to the stock inner fenders and fab mounts up for the grille/header/headlights

i did the same, but i also made tubular inner fenders.

hope any of this helps

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Since you have a 92 which has the crappiest doors of the 83-92 years I'd just go get a whole cab.

Eye for an Eye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Since you have a 92 which has the crappiest doors of the 83-92 years I'd just go get a whole cab.
Beyond my compression/tools I have, although if someone was in the area and willing to help, I would buy one/supply alcohol+food for the help, ha.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals