• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

$170 to Program a Key? Any Cheaper Options?

morsetaper2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
New (used) Ranger PU truck, I bought it used. I screwed up when making the deal, just assumed there were two keys. If I had realized that, a 2nd key included would have been part of the deal. Nope, just one.

Went to local Ford dealer, they said about $170 to program the 2nd key since I only have one. If I had two keys, I could program addtl keys myself. Owners manual states the same.

I hear locksmiths can make chipped keys. Anyone ever have that done? Any cost savings?

Of course I can always stash the one key close by the steering wheel and use regular keys to start it. But I'd really like to have a 2nd key w/o doing that.

Thanks, in advance.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
SOME locksmiths can make chipped keys that work just as well as the OEM ones. Some places are cheaper than the dealer, some aren't. Some locksmiths don't have the equipment. If you can find a guy who does them, go for it.

I think we charge about $60 total for just a regular PATS key and a program. It's $25 for the key, $35 for the program, and a few dollars sales tax for the state. I'd program one for you for free if you bring me a key. Gas to drive up here will probably cost you less than $150.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Tried a "programmed" key in my 04 expedition, didn't like it, but luckily I had both the originals and learned of the user programmable key that you can get

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Here's a thought. If the truck has a remote starter installed there will be a programmed key in the remote starter box.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Here's a thought. If the truck has a remote starter installed there will be a programmed key in the remote starter box.
Not always, they have keyless ones as well

chrisser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was in Home Depot the other day, and they have some sort of chipped key replacement.

From what I gathered, it somehow duplicates whatever's in your existing key.

Not cheap, somewhere around $65-85 as I recall, but that's cheaper than your dealer. Might be worth a look.

I have the same problem with my Chrysler - only one key. Need two to program a third.

I don't know how the Ford transponders work, but if you don't feel the need to have the security, on some cars you can take the loop off the lock cylinder, tape your one good key inside it somewhere in the steering column so it always reads a chipped key, and then use an unchipped copy to start the car.

That won't work on the door locks (some cars read those too) unless you have keyless entry so you don't unlock the doors with the key.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Locksmiths are way cheaper than the stealerships around here and they can even bring their keymobile to you.

rg2200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm in a similar situation, just got a 2005 Ranger with only one key. Didn't think at the time about the cost of a 2nd key. The key at the dealership here is $60, and $60 for the programming, so $120+tax for both. When I asked, they said they would program a key bought off eBay (usually about $20) no problem but said they've had a high number of the eBay keys not work, so it's a risk. Also, they'd program any number of keys for $60 - so if I bought 3 keys from eBay, they'd program all 3 for $60 (even though I only really need a 2nd key programmed and can program the others myself with the 2 keys, but if there's no additional cost, why not.)

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hmmmm...
My Sploder only came with one key as well...
I'm half-tempted to just get it from the stealership, gotta go there anyway to get a cam synchronizer...

Isn't the dealer the only one who can program the actual 2nd key, without just copying the 1st key? Or are there locksmiths that can retrieve the code from the PATS system?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Not with out Ford's IDS software. Locksmiths just makes clones if they are able to.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Not with out Ford's IDS software. Locksmiths just makes clones if they are able to.
see this is the problem its a clone and they have to be 100% perfect to fool the ecm. and i had one made by homedepot little pos cloner, took that pos key back, i mean it cut the key correctly but didnt program it right even after a second shot at programing it.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
New (used) Ranger PU truck, I bought it used. I screwed up when making the deal, just assumed there were two keys. If I had realized that, a 2nd key included would have been part of the deal. Nope, just one.

Went to local Ford dealer, they said about $170 to program the 2nd key since I only have one. If I had two keys, I could program addtl keys myself. Owners manual states the same.

I hear locksmiths can make chipped keys. Anyone ever have that done? Any cost savings?

Of course I can always stash the one key close by the steering wheel and use regular keys to start it. But I'd really like to have a 2nd key w/o doing that.

Thanks, in advance.

Call Ace Hardware. My mom and dad left their extra key to their Cadillac up north in their other home and they needed it here in Florida real bad. She went to Ace and they made her a key and it worked right away in the parking lot before she left. It was not much to have it done. It is a chipped key like my Ranger is.

Bob C. of Indiana

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals