• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trans adapters

jamie4ltr

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone make a Bellhousing adapter that mounts a V8 auto trans up to a 4.0Ltr? All I can find is adapters to mount a 4.0Ltr trans up to a V8 - which doesn't seem to make sense!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Actually that isn't as stupid as it sounds. The 4.0 and 5.0 throw down very similar numbers until about 3200 RPM.

jamie4ltr

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Yes, and then the 5.0Ltr puts out about 40 more ft/Lbs of torque, which is why the Mazda 5speeds last longer in Ranger's then F150's. But that didn't answer my question AT ALL Mr. Technician!:annoyed:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm no "Mr. Technician" but I do know how to find the tech library up top, section on transmissions and swaps. 2.8, 2.9 and 4.0 seem to share the same bellhousing. The smaller 6 bangers did come with the C-5 which is basically a V-8 auto. If there are no adapters made, modify something or accept it.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only real options are using the 2.8 C5 bell on a case fill C4 trans. They also have an adaptor for the rear to still use a RBV T-case if you so desire. Both are found on 83-84 Rangers and Bronco II's. While you can make a V6 C5 the same as a V8 C4 or C5 there are differences out of the box with the V6 version of course weaker.

I will also add that for a dd the lack of overdrive sucks...

4.0's kill enough transmissions I agree it would be stupid to tie a V8 in front of one. :icon_thumby:

jamie4ltr

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I am aware that 2.8/2.9/4.0Ltr share the same bellhousing from personal experiences. 5speeds only - I don't know much about autos, except that they all blow up and then I get cheap/free parts Xplders!
So is a C-5 trans from a V6 just as strong as a C-5 from a V8?
What I really want to know is if I can mount a AOD trans from a F150 up to a 4.0Ltr?

jamie4ltr

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
85_Ranger4x4 - My last post was before I read your post - Thanks for the info! A friend is starting a Ford 10.5"/Dana60 swap on his Ranger. His A4LD is in blown and in about 100 pcs right now. It seems like a good time to put a stronger trans/tcase in. For now he is happy with the 4.0Ltr and has lots of $ to spend on new gears/lockers etc. - so no 5.0Ltr swap right now. The AOD/BW1356's are readily available at the auto wreckers. Is it possible to mount that trans to his 4.0Ltr? Or maybe the F150 trans/tcase isn't that much stronger then a A4LD/BW1354 and not worth the effort? I don't know much about auto trans OR F150's. Just TTB Ranger's and Xploder's!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The AOD or 4R70W is MUCH stronger than any incarnation of the A4LD. I think Advance Adaptor may have made something to attach a Colone V6 to one but I don't think they do anymore. You might check out their website.

Usually their stuff is pretty pricey too. :dntknw:

IMO I would go to the 4.0 Ranger M5OD, it would pretty much drop in and probably be cheaper than the adaptors. And you still have overdrive.

I have the C5 in mine, someday I hope to have the '150 M5OD behind it.

jamie4ltr

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
IMO he should switch to the M5ODR1 as well but he hates 5peeds as much as I hate autos!!! His Ranger is a dd, so a 4speed od trans is a must. We looked on Advanced Adapters website and all we found were adapter plates to mate Ranger trans to V8's - Thats already been discussed. :icon_cheers:
Do you want to put a M5OD from a F150 into your Ranger? I've been told they have the EXACT same internals as the Ranger M5OD's - just a bigger housing. Another friend seems to go through 1 every year in his F150. I'm pretty sure 36's and 3.55 gears play a strong part in that too though!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Do you want to put a M5OD from a F150 into your Ranger? I've been told they have the EXACT same internals as the Ranger M5OD's - just a bigger housing. Another friend seems to go through 1 every year in his F150. I'm pretty sure 36's and 3.55 gears play a strong part in that too though!
Nope. Similar name, entirely different transmissions. Almost nothing swaps (I say almost because I do believe a lot of the Mazda transmissions have similar shift lever assemblies), completely different ratios.

It is kind of a shame nobody makes a housing to mate them to Ranger engines.

jamie4ltr

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Nope. Similar name, entirely different transmissions. Almost nothing swaps (I say almost because I do believe a lot of the Mazda transmissions have similar shift lever assemblies), completely different ratios.

It is kind of a shame nobody makes a housing to mate them to Ranger engines.
Sorry, I didn't mean the ratios or length of shafts. I had heard that bearings/shafts/gears were the same diameters though? Everything that makes it strong/weak.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Sorry, I didn't mean the ratios or length of shafts. I had heard that bearings/shafts/gears were the same diameters though? Everything that makes it strong/weak.
All much larger in the R2 version. It's still no ZF or NV series, but it's larger than the R1/Ranger transmission. They won't fit, any way you slice it.

jamie4ltr

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Is the ZF trans stronger then the R2? All the auto wreckers around here told me they are NOT. :icon_confused:

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Yes, the ZF transmission found in F series pickups, circa 90s, is stronger than the Mazda M5OD-R2 found in the same pickups. Generally, you find the R2 in lighter duty F150s with 5.0s and the ZF was reserved for 3/4 and one tons with bigger engines (not hard facts, just generalizing, I think you could get a ZF in a half ton with the 5.8 also).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals