• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transfer case swap?

rawrrediffer86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
okay i have a 97 ranger 4.0 automatic tranny & i have the switch activated transfer case. i was wondering how hard is it to switch to a lever actualted transfer case?

any ideas? would be gratually appreciated. i already have the manual locking hubs.

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I went from an auto 1354 to a manual 1350.....as long as you have the front driveshaft, it was a simple bolt on swap. I believe it's even easier going from auto to manual within the same model number.

twitch615

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Should just bolt in. Just grab the shifters linkage and the shift boot. You'll probably need to cut a hole for the shifter though. Maybe someone who's done the swap can chime in

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe someone who's done the swap can chime in
See above....:annoyed:

Anyways, my 92 had the hole in it for the floor shifter, just had a factory "plug" (for lack of better word) covering it up. When you grab the other case, like what was said before, grab EVERYTHING that went with it....shifter, bracket, the bolt for the bracket, and all the topside stuff like the shifter boot (On mine was one piece shifter/t-case shifter) and all the insulation under it.

twitch615

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
See above....:annoyed:

Anyways, my 92 had the hole in it for the floor shifter, just had a factory "plug" (for lack of better word) covering it up. When you grab the other case, like what was said before, grab EVERYTHING that went with it....shifter, bracket, the bolt for the bracket, and all the topside stuff like the shifter boot (On mine was one piece shifter/t-case shifter) and all the insulation under it.
Sorry bud I typed that up and forgot to press send and when I noticed I hadn't you had already posted.

rawrrediffer86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you all. See I bought my truck & was very disappointed that it wasnt a lever. But we got one ib at my sister junkyard from thw one I work at & my boyfriend works at so I was just wondering. Thank you everyone for your help. :) ill go get it today :)

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, did you get it swapped?

rawrrediffer86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So, did you get it swapped?
no not yet. waiting for the cash my buddy did it on his explorer & told me it should just bolt right in getting it this week hopefully :) we will see. ill keep you updated.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
On some of the later ones they started removing the two threaded holes in the tail housing that are needed for the pivot bolt and adjustment bolt for the gate, make sure you have those and if you do you are good to go...

rawrrediffer86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On some of the later ones they started removing the two threaded holes in the tail housing that are needed for the pivot bolt and adjustment bolt for the gate, make sure you have those and if you do you are good to go...
Alright ill check thank you :)

nate09

Reaction score
I went from an auto 1354 to a manual 1350.....as long as you have the front driveshaft, it was a simple bolt on swap. I believe it's even easier going from auto to manual within the same model number.
Any idea what i can vehicle would have the front drive shaft I'll need? I'm looking at doing this exact swap, have a line on a t case and shifter, no shaft though.

rawrrediffer86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Any idea what i can vehicle would have the front drive shaft I'll need? I'm looking at doing this exact swap, have a line on a t case and shifter, no shaft though.
the guy that i work with that did it to his explorer & his brothers ranger said that the drive shaft from the original T case. should work. thats what im hoping for because if thats no the case the other guy ( who only really knows chevys) said you have to do both driveshafts. not really looking forward to that. best of luck.

nate09

Reaction score
the guy that i work with that did it to his explorer & his brothers ranger said that the drive shaft from the original T case. should work. thats what im hoping for because if thats no the case the other guy ( who only really knows chevys) said you have to do both driveshafts. not really looking forward to that. best of luck.
They have different front out put styles, the 1354 has a flange, the 1350 uses a slip yoke. I actually found the answer after some further digging.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
yeah, all 1354 T cases use the same front D shaft (ok, when they changed to SLA they changed and maybe some '97's...), and if you have an A4LD or M5OD you can use that shaft on a truck that came with a 1350

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals