• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 ranger 2.9 to 4.o swap

nathan ollila

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
any usefull tips before i tackle this job?..wiring?i dont want to change the dash anyway to get around this?and i heard engine mounts,exsaust and trany will bolt right up?what about the 2.9 radiator will it work with the 4.0?..is the 2.9 even worth rebuilding?from everything ive read no..mine knocking like a mother ****er..oil pressure isnt bad..25 ide 45 at 10mph ive seen worse..short on power

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
any usefull tips before i tackle this job?..wiring?

1)i dont want to change the dash anyway to get around this?

2)and i heard engine mounts,exsaust and trany will bolt right up?

3)what about the 2.9 radiator will it work with the 4.0?

4)..is the 2.9 even worth rebuilding?from everything ive read no..mine knocking like a mother ****er..oil pressure isnt bad..25 ide 45 at 10mph ive seen worse..short on power
1) you can use your dash, just have to wire the gauges. Not hard, just time consuming.

2) I would recommend new motor mounts, but I know on my swap... I used the 2.9 Mounts with zero issues.

3) no... you'll want the larger 4.0 radiator. I think the hoses might hook in a different spot to.

4) that is a personal question. To me... no. The 2.9 is a great motor and works well for a lot of people for a long time. I NEVER had issues out of mine. I just wanted the little extra power of the 4.0

nathan ollila

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks..what gauges..cause i already got a cluster ran with oil pressure ,temp,volts...what about like the lights,turn signals..stuff like that...i can turn a wrench,but when it comes to wiring..to be honest i get scared

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
any dash gauges.. tach, speedo, fuel level, etc... some of them might be in other wires. I know I had to wire a few of mine. I wish I made a wiring diagram for my swap. I have an 88 with a 4.0 swapped in with the stock dash and everything works right.

the turn signals and lights should be separate (for the dash part). On one of the wiring harnesses (either the b2's or the explorer's) the headlight harness is made into it. This really depends on what wiring you are using, what year and make is the 4.0 out of?

Don't be scared of wiring. Just get a soldering gun (not pencil type), good solder, and heat shrink.. and PRACTICE on some scrap wire first. The stuff is cheap so practice. When wiring, DO IT RIGHT... don't cheap out.

IF you must use crimp connectors; get the ones that are heat shrink type that you can shrink down after crimping. They'll be more weatherproof than the normal ones.

camobancher88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys... so im gonna be doing my 4.0 swap here in a few weeks... so ill be watching... Pretty much got all info just one thing... under dash wiring what needs to be swapped as well... i heard gauges will all the wiring hook up with the stock set up in the 88 ranger as far as lights blinkers ect...

nathan ollila

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks guess im going to have to do a little more research on the different years of the 4.0 and see what year might be an easier swap..im guessing it would be from a 90 or 91 4.0 ranger

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Idk the answer to that one. I used a 93 explorer but some people say that ranger wiring harness is easier to use. Idk... look around. see what you can find.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Idk the answer to that one. I used a 93 explorer but some people say that ranger wiring harness is easier to use. Idk... look around. see what you can find.
I don't thing it matter much with a first gen, you will still have to adapt the harness.
Were are you in Oregon nathan ollila?

nathan ollila

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
longview,wa

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
im guessing it would be from a 90 or 91 4.0 ranger
yes, definitely. the explorer harness has all of the headlights and stuff run through the engine harness, and a lot of other stuff run through the dash.

start with a 2nd gen ranger harness, start on the passenger side floor, unhook the computer and push the harness through the firewall. grab the inertia switch while youre there, get the fuse block and relays on the passenger side fender, the whole harness all the way across the engine bay and core support, all the way to the big round plug on the drivers side firewall. there's some headlight stuff that runs through the big round plug, youll figure out you can strip that out since youll still have the original light harness in the truck.

radiators... you dont need anything special. my 2.9 radiator has cooled my 4.0 for 3 or 4 years now with no trouble. as long as you have a manual trans, the radiator is the same. if you have an auto, youll want the radiator for an auto 4.0 explorer. they are thicker, but otherwise the same dimensions.

when i did this swap, i used a 4.0 from a 93 mazda navajo. i already had the harness for it but i realized it would be well worth the time saved to invest in a ranger harness. i also used the computer from a 91-92 explorer (x2x2) because they are supposedly programed a little more gutsy down low since the explorers have more weight over the back end. kept my original dash and gauges, only thing i havent figured out is my tach. it works, but reads 1.5x what it should.

nathan ollila

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the details..it really will help!..the extra power of the 4.0 will be nice..ive been on the hunt for the motor..tryin to get the details figured out so when im ready for the install i half know what im doing with the wirering!lol

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
If you need some help i am just down the road from you, i am using 93 explorer harness and ecu. its been running great since i did the swap.

nathan ollila

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow,thanks..i might take u up on that offer..someone knowlege thats done it before would deff help!

nathan ollila

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
another question..how in the heck can you tell the odometer reading..is there some way u can tell if its 132,000 or 232,000??....oh fun fact..i had to pull out a 2012 dodge ram the other day with my ranger and we were playing in the same slop!lol..oh were there heads hanging low

lchappyjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ron helped me out, the guy does his homework. Im in longview if you would like to take a look.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals