• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4-Door Ranger?!?!

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
you revived a 3 month old thread for this?

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
With the short beds they look fugly. Same with quad cab short bed Fullsizes. Now if someone got a 7' on that then it would look better. :icon_thumby:

mic98xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking for running boards on EBay for my '03 Explorer Sport which are the same length as the extended cab Ranger. I found an ad that stated these were "not for 4 door Rangers." I thought to myself that they never made an early 4 door Ranger and almost crapped on myself when it showed a photo of a 4 door. I had to Google it to believe my eyes that they do exist, and the picture was not a fake.

Please excuse my ignorance but I guess living up in the North East, I never saw one before. I guess Ford just loves to throw curve balls to everyone in North America. :icon_surprised:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I was looking for running boards on EBay for my '03 Explorer Sport which are the same length as the extended cab Ranger. I found an ad that stated these were "not for 4 door Rangers." I thought to myself that they never made an early 4 door Ranger and almost crapped on myself when it showed a photo of a 4 door. I had to Google it to believe my eyes that they do exist, and the picture was not a fake.

Please excuse my ignorance but I guess living up in the North East, I never saw one before. I guess Ford just loves to fukc everyone over in North America by not having a crew cab diesel the last 30 years. especially with a clutch and fawking shifter with 6 speeds... :icon_surprised:
FIFY....:icon_thumby:

mic98xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, thank you for fixing it. My feeling exactly!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
4 door rangers are damn ugly.

just like any 4 door mini truck. their hideous. and useless.
no idea why anyone buys them.
That's why they made the Sport Trac. To me its better on the eyes. I had an 08, 2nd gen Sport trac and I loved it. 4.0V6, IRS, plenty of get up and go for me. The short bed was fixed with the little Gate thingy. I hauled 8ft railroad ties with No Problem. It was a work horse and a family sedan all at the same time. Plenty of room for the fam, and a bed cover fixed the "stuff's getting wet in the bed" problem. the only problem was Aftermarket supply was limited, unless you were smart enough to order Exploere or F150 parts, depending on the parts. This was basically a Frankenstein from the factory.

Danny74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Don't wait till it's broken to fix things
you revived a 3 month old thread for this?
OMG I hate when people do that. Who cares if someone feels like joining the discussion.. amirite? :icon_thumby:

With the short beds they look fugly. Same with quad cab short bed Fullsizes. Now if someone got a 7' on that then it would look better. :icon_thumby:
I dono... just because I have a longer bed doesn't mean my truck is is any better than one with a short bed. It all depends on what the driver needs.

That's why they made the Sport Trac. To me its better on the eyes. . . .
I vigorously disagree. . . If that was true, More ranger drivers would have switched over to the sport-trac instead of pining over the Mexican 4dr Ranger.

Yeah but everyone else keeps drooling over the foreign Ranger with the same size bed as the Sport Trac. If they want that configuration so bad, why don't they just buy the Sport Trac?
I really don't get it.
Because it looks like an Explorer, not like like a sexy Ranger.
Well, don't worry about it, some people just won't get it, no matter what anyone says.

They're very popular here in México, although it's not the safest pickup :dunno:
Dam that's sexy lookin. Put a full to rack on it, for hauling lumber, and it's very usable for my needs.. .....

What do you mean by, is not the safest?
Extra doors would be awesome. But not at the expense of a shorter bed, for my taste, cuz I wish the Ranger bed was a weensy bit longer, 8' vs 6'. But putting a longer bed and doble cabina would get closer to a stretch (limo) style of Ranger! Does that exist too?
Again, I would be OK with the shortbed. Might even get a trailer made from the back half of a 7 foot ranger..lol.. Anyway, I think with with a 6 foot bed (at most) grafted to the back of one of those it would still look nice.

Now couple that with a torquey diesel engine option, put that dually kit we seen earlier, and a briefer suspension. And I'm good to go wit h my dream truck.
I Envision that setup along with a removable fifth wheel hitch in the bed and it seens perfect for the custom tiny camper trailer that I'm envisioning making. Using an aluminum 5th wheel frame.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What do you mean by, is not the safest?
It wouldn't/couldn't pass the US crash test standards of the time.

Push come to shove when you think about it using the Explorer as the basis for a 4dr truck rather than the Ranger does make a fair amount of sense. Frame is flat, no arching over the axle to deal with. Rear frame is wider, more stable. It is already set up for a 4dr.

At the end of the day the shape of the cab was to progressive and they priced themselves out of the market.

IMO the bed is not proportional to the cab on the mexican trucks. Not sure why but it just doesn't look right to me. Maybe because of years of only seeing std/scab Rangers they look weird. :icon_confused:

Rangerx2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.7 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Always question authority
It wouldn't/couldn't pass the US crash test standards of the time.

Push come to shove when you think about it using the Explorer as the basis for a 4dr truck rather than the Ranger does make a fair amount of sense. Frame is flat, no arching over the axle to deal with. Rear frame is wider, more stable. It is already set up for a 4dr.

At the end of the day the shape of the cab was to progressive and they priced themselves out of the market.

IMO the bed is not proportional to the cab on the mexican trucks. Not sure why but it just doesn't look right to me. Maybe because of years of only seeing std/scab Rangers they look weird. :icon_confused:
I agree. The proportions on it just don't look right to me.
I think there's one simple reason why everyone on here thinks they want one so badly: People tend to want that which they cannot have. Had it been available here in the States, it probably would not have sold very well at the time-15+- years ago judging by the truck in that picture. Obviously the market is much different now and everyone seems to want a small, crew cab pick-up with a useless bed (Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma I'm looking at you); so I predict that the 2019 Ranger will sell very well in crew cab configuration. I like a longer bed, and I don't need the back seat; so the Supercab is fine with me still.

Greenasspider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
I never get why don't thy sale that kind of ranger here and on top of that a diesel version, i would get one in a heart beat.
Hi Ron ,I see you have done what I am interested in doing . I have an 87 4x4 . 2.9 L with explorer front and rear diffs , is it necessary to put the newer transmission with the 4.0L ? Thanks

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Hi Ron ,I see you have done what I am interested in doing . I have an 87 4x4 . 2.9 L with explorer front and rear diffs , is it necessary to put the newer transmission with the 4.0L ? Thanks
image1.jpg

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
I may be wrong. But I think the chassis was very different. A subframe instead of solid frame. I've heard the sport tracs arent nearly the same animal as the ranger.
to be honest i dont think anything ford will/did makes could ever hold a candle to the real rangers of 1983-2011

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals