• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My plans for my truck....in case anyone has any input.

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So, I got a 93 stx ex-cab 4x4. When it's done (Are they ever really done??) I plan on having a 5.0, 5 speed and tcase out of a f-150 in it. I plan on having to build my own tranny x-member for that. :icon_welder: Mild build on the 5.0, keep it injected, etc etc. D30 front axle, keep the 8.8 out back with 3.73 gears. Not sure on the model of 5 speed (not familiar with the 4x4 v8 5-speed) but will prolly end up with a np208 case. Gonna paint it black, neon green stripe down the body line, tint it up. Inside, custom fab a bench seat across the back (I got 3 kids, 2 jump seats. It dont work) and make a custom sub box in the seat. 2 or maybe 3 10's will provide the bump. I got the dash out of a truck without a tach, so I will add a seperate tach on the a-pillar. I am also thinking of putting racing buckets in, but I am not sure how to do that and still fit the kids in the back....:icon_confused:

Anyways, I am sure I am forgetting stuff, but I am tired. If anyone thinks of something cool to do, put it up. I will consider it, as long as it's not too expensive.....

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if you want a functional bench seat, you're going to most likely have to extended the cab more

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 97-08 4.2 V6 F-150 4x4 M5OD is the overdrive manual tranny of choice. The holes need enlarged to SBF specs which is minor and it puts the shifter in a more Ranger friendly place compared to the earlier transmissions.

If you plan to use the 5.0 to its potential a D30 probably isn't the greatest choice, a TTB D35 is quite a bit stronger.

And no, I don't think they are ever "done" :icon_thumby:

BrucesBlack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like A good Build !

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i have put race bucket in mine before on the stock tracks and it made a huge difference in the room available in the cab. with the seat forward as i could tolerate it was surprising.

but that was just a temporary situation for competition, that seat would suck to have to be in for any period of time.

but with cav buckets and bobs carseat strapped in the center of the back part of the cab on a fixed crate/booster and my seats forward a bit madi, bob and zoie could ride in the back easily, i had foam cushions up against the wall and they could sit facing forward and bob was in the middle happily kicking the fawk out of me...we did that for three summers and madi was too big to fit back there and bob didnt fit in a car seat anymore.

the good is it kept madi and zoie from fighting because they were isolated from each other...

eventually i want to extend the cab 6-8 inches so 4 can ride semi comfortable. i just hate the idea of giving up the bed space. i actually built my flatbed to allow the extension, just never did the extension. maybe you will come up with something cool i can copy...

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 97-08 4.2 V6 F-150 4x4 M5OD is the overdrive manual tranny of choice. The holes need enlarged to SBF specs which is minor and it puts the shifter in a more Ranger friendly place compared to the earlier transmissions.

If you plan to use the 5.0 to its potential a D30 probably isn't the greatest choice, a TTB D35 is quite a bit stronger.

And no, I don't think they are ever "done" :icon_thumby:
Sweet! I will look for one of those transmissions then. By "holes need enlarged", are you talking the bolt holes in the bellhousing?

Sounds like A good Build !
Thanks!

i have put race bucket in mine before on the stock tracks and it made a huge difference in the room available in the cab. with the seat forward as i could tolerate it was surprising.

but that was just a temporary situation for competition, that seat would suck to have to be in for any period of time.

but with cav buckets and bobs carseat strapped in the center of the back part of the cab on a fixed crate/booster and my seats forward a bit madi, bob and zoie could ride in the back easily, i had foam cushions up against the wall and they could sit facing forward and bob was in the middle happily kicking the fawk out of me...we did that for three summers and madi was too big to fit back there and bob didnt fit in a car seat anymore.

the good is it kept madi and zoie from fighting because they were isolated from each other...

eventually i want to extend the cab 6-8 inches so 4 can ride semi comfortable. i just hate the idea of giving up the bed space. i actually built my flatbed to allow the extension, just never did the extension. maybe you will come up with something cool i can copy...
I might just look into that too....

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Missed a couple....:annoyed:

if you want a functional bench seat, you're going to most likely have to extended the cab more
I am REALLY going to try to avoid that....I am not a bodyman by any means, and cant afford to send it to a bodyshop for that kind of work..

In theory, the d30 is a temp. I would love to afford a d44 out of a rubicon, but that will be on hold for awhile. This will be a mallcrawler for a bit, until I have somewhere to wheel and have the money to fix what I break wheeling...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sweet! I will look for one of those transmissions then. By "holes need enlarged", are you talking the bolt holes in the bellhousing?
Yeah, they went to a metric bolt on the 4.2 that is just a tad smaller than the SBF bolts.

In theory, the d30 is a temp. I would love to afford a d44 out of a rubicon, but that will be on hold for awhile. This will be a mallcrawler for a bit, until I have somewhere to wheel and have the money to fix what I break wheeling...
It would require changing the rear to match but you could probably find a much stonger D60 for the same if not less money.

If you have a D35 now I would just rock it rather than mess around spending money on a temporary axle.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You already have the D35. It's as good or better than a D30 in every way if you set it up right. :icon_confused:

Leave it alone until you get a good D44 (which a pre-'07 Rubicon axle is not). IMO, I'd wait for a D60, as even the D44 has strength limitations that are the same as the D35's.

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My reasoning for the straight axle is tire longevity. As the springs sag, the ttb eats tires. Along with that fact, a straight axle is easier to lift (cheaper too)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My reasoning for the straight axle is tire longevity. As the springs sag, the ttb eats tires. Along with that fact, a straight axle is easier to lift (cheaper too)
Not if it's set up properly...
I have quality springs (Skyjacker) and my steering linkage is in proper alignment with the axle beams so that it doesn't throw the toe alignment out of whack even if the springs were to sag (my rear tires actually wear faster than my fronts do. And no, it's not because I do burnouts lol).

There's plenty of information available about how to dial these suspensions in right if you look around here a bit. After all, you wouldn't put a straight axle in and then leave the steering all askew with the axle & track bar... It's no different with the TTB.

Redneckryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Might have to do some more digging....Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals