• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hey i just used seafoam in my truck and now when i start it

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
so i put 1/3 in the break booster line and 1/3 in the oil and the rest in tank. and now when i start my truck it starts and the rpms do down till it dies. so what should i do? im thinking of changing the oil and tell me what to do know :( i hope i did not break my truck

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
so i put 1/3 in the break booster line and 1/3 in the oil and the rest in tank. and now when i start my truck it starts and the rpms do down till it dies. so what should i do? im thinking of changing the oil and tell me what to do know :( i hope i did not break my truck

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
More than likely the intake manifold is flooded with unburned seafoam. get the engine started and try to keep it running until the seafoam clears from the intake.

also make sure there is not a vacuum hose knocked loose

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Disconnect the battery and clean the throttle body around the butterfly and idle air control ,clean the IAT sensor with rubbing alcohol. Run it about 20 minutes and see how it idles. Did you change the oil. If you got the seafoam on the IAT intake air temp sensor you may need a new one never clean it with a solvent just elect cleaner or rubbing alcohol. You need to reset the computer when cleaning/changing a sensor by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 1/3 in the intake(brake booster line) is what is causing the stalling.
I would remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over a few times, then clean spark plugs and re-install.

With EFI fuel systems we don't have the carbon build up problems we used to with carburetor systems.
Seafoam in the tank will clean up most injector nozzles and any carbon in the cylinders.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
With EFI fuel systems we don't have the carbon build up problems we used to with carburetor systems.
You still get some from the EGR and PCV systems.

Fire it up and run it at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for a while, or try to take it for a drive, minimum 10 miles. You gotta get it good and hot and up to temp. It's flooding out. Get the crap burned out of the system and it should start to run normally again.

You should also always change the oil after using seafoam. Most guys wait until it is oil change time to use it.

Last edited:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!

{hey i just used seafoam in my truck and now when i start it}

This Forum is just for introducing yourself & describing your truck........

Post your questions in the GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM.....it's a forum for unusual problems....more members are likely to read your posts there.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
{hey i just used seafoam in my truck and now when i start it}

This Forum is just for introducing yourself & describing your truck........

Post your questions in the GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM.....it's a forum for unusual problems....more members are likely to read your posts there.
Is it safe to assume that you got the job as a moderator ?? If so, congratulations !!

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
well is sputtering now when im in park and when im accelerating.i dont think its misfiring. i changed some of the oil out but only had to bottles of new oil, i check the spark plugs and on had alot of oil on the out side of it.

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
i took it to goodyear and when i took off one of the coil on plugs, i guess i broke one and it was misfiring.

dieselarruda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L6V
Transmission
Manual
finally got a guy to fix my truck. he said the starter was bad so bought a new one and my wiring was bad so put my engine on 0" top dead center and wired the distributor, set the timing and now it starts up strong but now when i turn the key on run it rev's and when i turn the key to the on position it dies? so what do u think?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals