• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

GM Vs Ford Axles

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
It was the stock 8.8 drum axle, but with the distance I would have to travel, I wouldn't chance using a caliper to hold my tire on the truck...

SVT

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It was the stock 8.8 drum axle, but with the distance I would have to travel, I wouldn't chance using a caliper to hold my tire on the truck...

SVT
I have disk brakes and only rely on them getting me off a trail, not down the road. They aren't designed to take that kind of abuse.

I still stand by the 14bolt even over a sterling. It's cheap, and has been made almost as long as GM/Chevy have been making trucks till the last few years when they switched to some new super dana axle. Aftermarket support is plentiful and again cheap. It's simple to work on and did I mention it's cheap? I can find more 14b's in a junkyard than a sterling or dana 60 any time I've gone.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

Fabricator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the input im getting some good ideas. and now that it was brought up i have a sterling 10.25 out of an f250 powerstroke but it might be a little over kill for my build. for the vehicle specs im currently running a 4 banger but i have a 302 h.o on the way so ima blow up the 4 banger and then drag the truck back into the garage and do the v8 swap. and i found one gm 14 bolt corporate rear in the junk yard but the diff cover was off of it. i also found 3 dana 60 rears and believe it or not only 2 ford 8.8 rears. also i am doing a full width swap because of my front dana 44. so the one out of the explorer wont work. also how difficult would it be to adapt my drive shaft to the rear?

Fabricator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
oh and i almost forgot to answer some questions i plan on making around 350 to 400hp and running either a 35 or a 37 tire.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
thanks for the input im getting some good ideas. and now that it was brought up i have a sterling 10.25 out of an f250 powerstroke but it might be a little over kill for my build. for the vehicle specs im currently running a 4 banger but i have a 302 h.o on the way so ima blow up the 4 banger and then drag the truck back into the garage and do the v8 swap. and i found one gm 14 bolt corporate rear in the junk yard but the diff cover was off of it. i also found 3 dana 60 rears and believe it or not only 2 ford 8.8 rears. also i am doing a full width swap because of my front dana 44. so the one out of the explorer wont work. also how difficult would it be to adapt my drive shaft to the rear?
Unfortunately, lots of the Jeep guys like the Explorer axles as well. So yeah, sometimes they are hard to locate at the yard. If you got one out of a Ranger, it's a very straight forward swap. Any 4.0 (and maybe 3.0?) Ranger will have one.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
oh and i almost forgot to answer some questions i plan on making around 350 to 400hp and running either a 35 or a 37 tire.
Up until this post, this thread was useless. Everyone was just wasting there time typing. Without them know what you wanted to build, they were just throwing out different axles. (Hell, you could have been a truck on 32's with a stock non-HO 302... A 7.5 can hold up to that.)

At that power level and tire size a 31 spline 8.8 might have a chance to survive, but if your aggressive on the throttle, I dont see it lasting. I would just use the Sterling that you already have.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Only the 4.0 rangers had the 8.8, and even then its only 28 spline. The 31 spline won't fit in the 28 spline housing. You can get an 8.8 from a full size truck and bolt on the disc brakes with slight mods. Since you have the 60 available, I'd really go with that. The 14b might be cheap and plentiful, but its an anchor, and did you know the hub/wheel is held on by only a snap ring? I've had a real bad experience with the 14b, so me personally I stay away from them, but others have success with them....

SVT

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 14b might be cheap and plentiful, but its an anchor, and did you know the hub/wheel is held on by only a snap ring? I've had a real bad experience with the 14b, so me personally I stay away from them, but others have success with them....

SVT
For a 302 swap a 14b is overkill, however if you plan on heavy wheeling it will take every bit of abuse you give it. The hub is held on by spindle nuts like most axles,or at least the ones I've seen. And it is big and heavy, kinda like a sterling :D

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
My 7.5 is holding up to my HO 302 with 32s just fine...but do plan on an exploder 8.8 someday.

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk 2

Fabricator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
im just throwin it out there i just got off the phone with the u-pull it yard they have a 2500 dodge with the dana 80 in it would that be a better choice or should i stick with the sterling? also do yall think the sterling or the dana 80 would be close to the same length of a dana 44 hp out of a 79 bronco?

Fabricator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
@ Dangeranger how much Horse Power is your H.O making? And the use for my ranger would be daily driving hauling and playin hard off road so i want it to be strong and not have to worry about it if i punch it too hard.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Availability of junkyard parts is similar for a sterling or D80. Don't know bout axle, or gear sizes both will handle a 302 and heavy wheeling though.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The hub is held on by spindle nuts like most axles,or at least the ones I've seen...
While this is true, the 14b's hub's inner race (the larger race) is held in the hub with a snap ring. If this snap ring fails or if the ring groove gets worn (such as in the case of my experience) the bearings will be held on by the spindle nuts, but the hub will come off the bearings, causing the loss of a wheel...

SVT

Fabricator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
ok so which axle in yall's opinion would ya go with the d60, d80 or the sterling? this would just help me out in making my decision.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals