• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Rule!

ChrisHelvey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
To become a Ford engineer and design systems for automobiles, you must first work on a bunch of stupidly designed systems with your own hands until completion. The kind that need cuss words at the people who thought them up. Then, tell everyone why it was stupid and promise you will never design difficult systems that typical mechanics can't handle without a modicum of regular effort.
THIS time, I am referring to the clutch hydraulic system (All of it) on Rangers/Mazdas. They just absolutely couldn't figure out a way to make a clutch line that would not inherently trap air without needing to pull the entire master cylinder and lines and bleed them on a bench as a whole? THEN, put a slave cylinder inside the transmission? I would have liked to have been in the room on that discussion.

Yes, this video works about bleeding the clutch system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgNTDGwcjZc

That's not the point.

Plus, did you notice in the video about "don't install the clutch push rod in the master cylinder (if you bought a new one), because it will be stuck in there for good and make it very very difficult to reinstall?" I DID, but I was reusing a perfectly good Master cylinder kit with the push rod already installed. Why should I buy a $200+ master cylinder kit, just to make it easier to put in? Getting it out was a nightmare, getting it back in was even worse.

I did it. As the helpful video said, "you CAN beat it if you do it this way." My clutch works perfectly now. WHAT a PITA!

So, new rule: You have to practice mechanics before you get to design anything. So, you have your Masters degree in mechanical engineering? Good. Now take an apprenticeship at an auto repair shop. THEN you can design stuff for us.:annoyed:

Last edited:

Ryannn

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
To become a Ford engineer and design systems for automobiles, you must first work on a bunch of stupidly designed systems with your own hands until completion. The kind that need cuss words at the people who thought them up. Then, tell everyone why it was stupid and promise you will never design difficult systems that typical mechanics can't handle without a modicum of regular effort.
THIS time, I am referring to the clutch hydraulic system (All of it) on Rangers/Mazdas. They just absolutely couldn't figure out a way to make a clutch line that would not inherently trap air without needing to pull the entire master cylinder and lines and bleed them on a bench as a whole? THEN, put a slave cylinder inside the transmission? I would have liked to have been in the room on that discussion.

Yes, this video works about bleeding the clutch system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgNTDGwcjZc

That's not the point.

Plus, did you notice in the video about "don't install the clutch push rod in the master cylinder (if you bought a new one), because it will be stuck in there for good and make it very very difficult to reinstall?" I DID, but I was reusing a perfectly good Master cylinder kit with the push rod already installed. Why should I buy a $200+ master cylinder kit, just to make it easier to put in? Getting it out was a nightmare, getting it back in was even worse.

I did it. As the helpful video said, "you CAN beat it if you do it this way." My clutch works perfectly now. WHAT a PITA!

So, new rule: You have to practice mechanics before you get to design anything. So, you have your Masters degree in mechanical engineering? Good. Now take an apprenticeship at an auto repair shop. THEN you can design stuff for us.:annoyed:
Didnt really read it, just kind of skimmed through your post. Agreed, but then again Ford or an auto manufacturer doesnt care. :icon_rofl:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Yep....Ground Rules are definately needed in several areas:

(as you stated) engine-eers should be mechanics first....

Everyone should have to ride a motorcycle for a month before driving a car or truck...

Anyone who drives drunk should have to drive into a brick wall at 60 mph without spilling their favorite refreshment......

Terrorist should have to participate in one "live Fire" exercise before receiving their diploma....

etc....................

Observer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Instructor in one of my classes (engr) said when a student was asked to "thread" a nut they eventually got frustrated at what it meant and, not knowing what else to do.. ripped a strand from their jacket and started wrapping it 'round said nut. :icon_rofl:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I always figured Ford did stuff the way they did because engineering was alway geared to streamlining the assembly process and that as long as the truck works until the warranty expires that is fine. Repair considerations are just pure luck. :D

The clutch R+R that I did convinced of that. The difficulty of the job could have eased by using a hard line with threaded fittings. But 18 yrs down the road and 126 K miles later. What can you expect?

Last edited:

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A rusted out hard line with siezed fittings. Requiring a new master and slave anyway.

Who'se the retard that put the Ypipe under the trans/engine mating on the 4.0's? That's so stupid.

MPRanger

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
yep....ground rules are definately needed in several areas:

(as you stated) engine-eers should be mechanics first....

Everyone should have to ride a motorcycle for a month before driving a car or truck...

Anyone who drives drunk should have to drive into a brick wall at 60 mph without spilling their favorite refreshment......

Terrorist should have to participate in one "live fire" exercise before receiving their diploma....

Etc....................
roflmfao

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Amen. I say, at least once a week, "If those idiots had to work on this thing themselves they never would have designed it that way!!"

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We always had new engineers spend the first two months out in the shop putting the equipment together. After they had a few projects under their belts, they would go out and help the service man do the install. Our best engineers and designers were the ones who worked on mechanical things as a hoby.
Dave

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Chevy FTW on ease of working on stuff. Till you get to 95. Then they suck also.

There's a special place in hell for engineers. (Ford is filling it up)

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
My last engine trans combo had an internal slave and with the help of my cousin pumping and me under the truck turning the bleed screw saying what to do out loud, it took 10 minutes to bleed the clutch from dry.

But I will say, it can be a pain in the ass to do and an inconviance to replace the slave if it does go out, seeing as you have to pull the trans and also my old one was between the bell and the trans.

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk 2

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I always figured Ford did stuff the way they did because engineering was alway geared to streamlining the assembly process and that as long as the truck works until the warranty expires that is fine. Repair considerations are just pure luck. :D
To a point. But even that is a secondary consideration.

The primary idea behind Ford's design strategy is "how much worthless crap can we cram into this thing and still leave it so at least one cylinder head can be removed with the engine in the car."

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I've said the same thing myself many times...probably many times in the same day working on the same thing...

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual

That's not the point.

Truth. Exactly why I'm going to school to be an engineer. My Ranger is bad, but anybody who has worked on airplanes will probably agree that they're the absolute worst!

mk42gunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only hydraulic clutch that I ever worked on that wasn't too big a PITA, was the one in my 57 F-100. Even then I thought Ford did a brilliant move by going to mechanical linkages on the later pickups.

Robert

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals