• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Restoring the old Eight Nine Stang

littlezell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I juat want to sya I am with you on loving gts... I have had 5 of them and for some stupid reason I got rid of them... I like yours abd would love to have another one..... hoping to trade my explorer for one some day...

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Thank you! I haven't had much time this summer to work on it. I have several parts that are ready to be put on. Seems like anytime I find some time, something else fills that spot. To be honest, it's not been registered for 14 months now. I am going to register her in September though. Hopefully I can talk to DMV into changing my month to September. I've already had them do it for me twice - so they might get pissy.

The reason I need to get it registered in September is that my F150 needs a new radiator support. I don't want to do a rush job, so I will need another set of wheels to get me around.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
FINALLY.... At the DMV getting a temp tag for this thing. Been too long.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Back in service....

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking really good Shane! Bet your glad to be done for awhile and have it on the road.
Dave

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Thanks Dave!

One thing I get a kick out of, is how the State of Utah has my car listed as a Cobra - and they have done so since the day I bought it. When the lady (clerk) said "ohhh, it's a Cobra", I almost said "no, it's a GT". But.... I could tell by her voice that the Cobra label wowed her so I let it ride. This actually made things much easier, and it was probably as pleasurable of an experience as one could hope for at the DMV. They gave me zero hassles with changing months. One of the supervisors has to approve the change, and I heard the clerk tell her supervisor "it's a Cobra, and he doesn't drive it very often". Next thing I knew, she handed me a sticker with a 9.

Anyway, I thought it was a bit comical.

EDIT: Speaking of not driving it often. I found the paperwork for my inspection in 2009. I have put a little under 4,000 miles on it since 2009.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Took her out for a drive tonight. Found that the rear seal is leaking like a sieve. I guess I'll be pulling the trans out soon.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
. Speaking of not driving it often. I found the paperwork for my inspection in 2009. I have put a little under 4,000 miles on it since 2009.
Man, I average about 6000 per Summer in mine. Almost 1000 miles on the new one in 2 1/2 weeks. Just way too much fun. I can see your point though, it is a classic "Cobra".
Dave

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Hey Dave, what would make the rear seal go from leaking a little to quite a bit? It sounds like I have a busted catalytic converter. I wonder if I am getting extra pressure in the crankcase? No lack of power though, so that almost debunks that myth.

EDIT: One more thing....... it also is idling a touch higher. Usually I idle at 600-650, now it's at about 800.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Dave!

One thing I get a kick out of, is how the State of Utah has my car listed as a Cobra - and they have done so since the day I bought it. When the lady (clerk) said "ohhh, it's a Cobra", I almost said "no, it's a GT". But.... I could tell by her voice that the Cobra label wowed her so I let it ride. This actually made things much easier, and it was probably as pleasurable of an experience as one could hope for at the DMV. They gave me zero hassles with changing months. One of the supervisors has to approve the change, and I heard the clerk tell her supervisor "it's a Cobra, and he doesn't drive it very often". Next thing I knew, she handed me a sticker with a 9.

Anyway, I thought it was a bit comical.

EDIT: Speaking of not driving it often. I found the paperwork for my inspection in 2009. I have put a little under 4,000 miles on it since 2009.
That is a good deal, around here they would have had a fit with the backtaxes on it. They have a fit about anything they can though...

Hey Dave, what would make the rear seal go from leaking a little to quite a bit? It sounds like I have a busted catalytic converter. I wonder if I am getting extra pressure in the crankcase? No lack of power though, so that almost debunks that myth.

EDIT: One more thing....... it also is idling a touch higher. Usually I idle at 600-650, now it's at about 800.
Have you checked the PCV valve?

I know just sitting is pretty hard on seals, they need a douse of oil once in awhile to stay soft.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
That didn't cross my mind 85. I will check that out. I remember before I quit driving it last summer there was a ticking sound under light load that I thought might be the PCV valve, and I don't recall if I checked it. It still has the original valve, so it may have taken a dump.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I checked the PCV valve last night. It's still good. Ford needs their heads checked for the location of the PCV valve.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Got her all shined up this morning for the car show tomorrow night. I don't believe I've ever put a picture of the interior on here, so there's one below. This will eventually be a "before" picture. Someday this interior is going bye bye. I already have quite a bit of the stuff, just need the time.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I checked the PCV valve last night. It's still good. Ford needs their heads checked for the location of the PCV valve.
On the parents 4.0 '02 Explorer you have to pull the upper intake to get to the PCV valve. :icon_idea:

That is a really nice looking interior already, whats the plan?

I have been thinking about keeping an eye out for one of those to play with...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals