• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Loud bang, then no power to rear wheels

hoverfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1988 Bronco II XLT, 2.9L 5-speed 4x4. Starting from a stop today I let out the clutch, heard a loud bang, and the truck wouldn't move. There was a slight rattling noise with the truck in gear with the clutch out. I pushed it off to the side of the road and just for the hell of it I locked my front hubs and tried some FWD driving. I got it back to work which was a couple hundred yards away. What's the most common failure here? Do the ball and cage style driveshafts destroy themselves often?

rochhound

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it could be anywhere from clutch to rear end jack your rear end up and start it put it in gear check the drive shaft if its turning its your rear end if its not its probably your trans
or maybe transfer case? your question on drive shaft that is junk they've always been a problem.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
1988 Bronco II XLT, 2.9L 5-speed 4x4. Starting from a stop today I let out the clutch, heard a loud bang, and the truck wouldn't move. There was a slight rattling noise with the truck in gear with the clutch out. I pushed it off to the side of the road and just for the hell of it I locked my front hubs and tried some FWD driving. I got it back to work which was a couple hundred yards away. What's the most common failure here? Do the ball and cage style driveshafts destroy themselves often?
Oh gosh, where to start...

it could be anywhere from clutch to rear end
No, it really couldn't. Not if I understand the end of his post correctly, in that he drove it back to work front-wheel style. That would mean the clutch, transmission internals, and the transfer case as far as the splines of the rear output shaft are all intact and functioning.

Yes, the CV-style drive shafts are kinda junky. I don't think they usually fail suddenly and spectacularly like that though.

With the trans in neutral hop under and spin the rear shaft by hand while holding the end cups. If the center section moves freely at either end you need a new drive shaft. If both feel solid and won't move, you need to pull the diff cover and take pics of the carnage.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
adsm i wouldnt doubt that it broke suddenly i mean i was going 15 and shifted to second and let the clutch out easily on mine and a then a big bang and my drive shaft was dragging on the ground haha. But yea like adsm said i bet ur drive shaft is the problem but maybe ur gears blew up but idk anything on gears but i doubt that would happen just by trying to go

hoverfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's the driveshaft. With the truck in gear the shaft spins up to the rear joint.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It's the driveshaft. With the truck in gear the shaft spins up to the rear joint.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding.... the rear driveshaft is turning all the way down to the rear joint - as in the u-joint down on the rear axle? If so, it's in your differential.

hoverfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Up to but not including the rear joint. CV style joints here. The shaft is rotating but the rear joint boot and everything beyond is not moving.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Up to but not including the rear joint. CV style joints here. The shaft is rotating but the rear joint boot and everything beyond is not moving.
OK, thanks for the clarification.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I have one of those shafts with the same issue lol..
something about playing with 4.0 power to a worn out cv joint crap shaft... it doesn't hold up well. lol

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my opinion is that custom driveshafts are $ well spent, especially if you do any wheeling at all!

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was going to say blown re-tread... but I guess you guys already figured it out. :icon_thumby:

Word of the wise: Convert to one-piece.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bronco graveyard has some affordable u joint style driveshafts. I built my own for around 150 bucks.

Last edited:

hoverfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All I've found locally so far was $450 at Napa, I haven't got that kind of cash to drop. I've looked at broncograveyard.com, it looks like they charge $30 to even think about sending something to Canada, and who knows what the shipping will actually cost. I expect that to approach $400 total when all is said and done.

Checking around at the local wrecking yards, nobody has a BII. I suppose I'd be able to get a shaft from a Ranger shortened, wouldn't I?

hoverfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll probably get things thrown at me for this, but... I found a freshly rebuilt CV style shaft locally for $125 so I jumped on it. I don't do any wheeling, the worst this truck will see while I own it is snow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals