• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

winch and winch bumper

motocross

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok i want to get a winch for my truck but how many pounds do i need, my trucks a 1988 ext cab V6 2.9L 31" tires and lifted some. theres some 2000 pound winches for really cheap my friends getting one but i dont no if that will be powerfull enough to pull out my truck in looks like something to pull out a 4 wheeler. so it 3000 ibs a good winch ? i no theres alot of diffrent brands i dont need anything fancey just something to get the job done. also what kinda of bumper should i make to mount it on if you have any pics of winch bumpers post em i want to see some before i start to fab up one. thanks

camodown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, you wouldn't even budge your truck if you were stuck with a 2000 lb winch. Like johnnyu said, 8000 lb minimum.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Here's mine

I started out with 6"x6" 1/4" wall square tube, I cut a chunk for the middle, then welded up some 3/8" plate to it that I bolted to the frame. I cut 2 more sections of square tube at equal angles, then welded them to the other side of the 3/8" plate. I cut out a spot for the winch, boxed in the back side, and welded 1/4" plate to the underside where the winch mounts. I then welded 2 pieces of 3/8" plate to the 3/8th plate that runs to the frame so that I had a secure mounting spot for tow hooks. I then capped of the ends with some diamond plate that I had lying around. The finished product is a beefy winch bumper/recovery point that I will never have to worry about. The bumper itself weighs about 120 lbs.

hick

Boomer

Reaction score
Here is mine...

I have the winch mounted now on the plate...

There is also a class three hitch welded behind the skid plate to the frame for serious pulling if need be...

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Here is mine...
I have the winch mounted now on the plate...
There is also a class three hitch welded behind the skid plate to the frame for serious pulling if need be...
Looks nice, what do you have for a winch? Does it restrict your airflow much?

hick

motocross

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
nice bumpers but hick that is awsome, so do even do anything i need a 8000 pound winch ? holy thats alot of winch for alittle truck but i gess when the muds suctioning on it, it would way alot more. keep showing the bumpers tho

camodown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
you would be surprised, I've seen trucks stuck where it takes a 12K winch and a 8K winch together to get them out.

Well I guess I can show you a pic of mine for reference, but if you want a winch be sure you watch the weight on making a bumper. Once you make a bumper and add a winch to it your looking at some pretty good weight on the front end. That is why I don't have a winch in my bumper, going to wait until it's not a DD to put one in.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
ok i want to get a winch for my truck but how many pounds do i need, my trucks a 1988 ext cab V6 2.9L 31" tires and lifted some. theres some 2000 pound winches for really cheap my friends getting one but i dont no if that will be powerfull enough to pull out my truck in looks like something to pull out a 4 wheeler. so it 3000 ibs a good winch ? i no theres alot of diffrent brands i dont need anything fancey just something to get the job done. also what kinda of bumper should i make to mount it on if you have any pics of winch bumpers post em i want to see some before i start to fab up one. thanks
I saw a Champion 8000# winch for $400.00 at Canadian Tire this weekend. About as cheap as they come. Seen similar winches at Princess Auto for same price.

Boomer

Reaction score
Looks nice, what do you have for a winch? Does it restrict your airflow much?

hick
I went with a warn xd9000i. I paid 450 for it on ebay. The remote was bad on it so another 25 for the remote. It haven't noticed any more or less temp even on the 105 degrees days. I did notice the AC didn't seem to get as cold but I think that might have also been cause it was 105 outside for 17 days straight!!

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I went with a warn xd9000i. I paid 450 for it on ebay. The remote was bad on it so another 25 for the remote. It haven't noticed any more or less temp even on the 105 degrees days. I did notice the AC didn't seem to get as cold but I think that might have also been cause it was 105 outside for 17 days straight!!
Nice score, I am guessing you are probably right about the AC.

you would be surprised, I've seen trucks stuck where it takes a 12K winch and a 8K winch together to get them out.

Well I guess I can show you a pic of mine for reference, but if you want a winch be sure you watch the weight on making a bumper. Once you make a bumper and add a winch to it your looking at some pretty good weight on the front end. That is why I don't have a winch in my bumper, going to wait until it's not a DD to put one in.
Weight on mine isn't too bad, about 200lbs between the winch and the bumper.

As for needing an 8,000 lb winch at minimum, there is a reason for that. Take for instance a winch rated at 12,500 pull with a 6.6 hp motor, 265:1 gear reduction, a 2.5" diameter drum and a 3/8th inch cable. This winch only pulls 12,500 lbs with the cable fully extended, for the first 30' of cable, there are 3 layers of cable adding to the diameter of the drum. That 2.5" drum swells to 4.75", which reduces your pulling power to less than 7,000 lbs of pull. It works the same as putting a larger tire on your truck with out changing the gearing, same concept.

hick

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Hick, that's a nice bumper, but my only suggestion is to modify the rear section to allow mud/water etc to drain easier. My bumper is very similar, and even with (2) 1" holes, the mud and water build up on the winch platform.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hick, that's a nice bumper, but my only suggestion is to modify the rear section to allow mud/water etc to drain easier. My bumper is very similar, and even with (2) 1" holes, the mud and water build up on the winch platform.
I found that out after my first time out, had over an inch of mud/water in there. Didn't have my winch installed at the time, have since added 2 drain holes 1/4". It lets the rain out, and if I need to, I can always drill them bigger. I try to stick to trails/rocks, so most of the time, mud isn't an issue.

hick

King Crush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

That is why I'm not puttin' a bumper and winch on mine yet.

King Crush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also what good is winch must the time you don't have anything to hook it to?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals