• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

convert my ranger doors to wrangler style

BCWs 1992 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im new to this site ive had my ranger for over two years now im 17 and im beenin moddin the crap outta it so far my next goal is to be able to take the doors off and put them back on like a wrangler my reason for doin this my friends i go ridin with have wranglers and wont shutup bout how great it is to take th doors off so if anybody has done this i would greatly appreciate th help pics would be nice also :icon_welder:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Kind of difficult to do since the wrangler door hinges are located on the OUTSIDE of the doors whereas the rangers are located inside. Good luck tho.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Im getting ready to figure this out myself on the 83 Ranger Truggy Im building but havent got that far yet. Im sure if you pulled the front fenders off you could easily get to the hindges to modify them for easy removal. Your biggest issue will be if you have wiring going to your doors.My 83 has no door wiring for anything so it should be an easy job.

My idea is to remove the factory pins in the factory hindges and either drill them out for a different pin with cotter pins at bottom or weld a nut to bottom of hindge and use a long bolt with a wing nut on top.

MoToRNecK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i will have to go look at my ranger but what i used to do is just drill out or grind out the hinge pins and replace them with pull pins or bolts. I used to do this with my jeep cherokees so i could be like the rangers

Last edited:

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
first its not legal to do,

second unless you have great fab, welding,and mecanical skills your gunna screw it up and have alot of work trying to fix the damage you created

but if you really think you can do it you are gunna need to fab up some exterior hinges that will support the weight of your door, then you are going to have to find a mount point on the exterior of your cab that is strong enough to support the weight of your door (call it a safe 100 pounds) i doubt you will be able to find one so you will have to do some strength work on the back side before you attach your hinges. i would probably say a plate that runs from the top mount to the bottom mount.

pengintamer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Depends on your state. Here in WA I have several friends that have done this on Cherokees and never once been in trouble with the law. Look up how Cherokee guys are doing it, the door hinge on rangers is substantially better than that of an xj so it should work out the same or better

BCWs 1992 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my bad i meant just be able to take em off and put em back on easily like puttin a longer bolt in or somethin

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

second unless you have great fab, welding,and mecanical skills your gunna screw it up and have alot of work trying to fix the damage you created

but if you really think you can do it you are gunna need to fab up some exterior hinges that will support the weight of your door, then you are going to have to find a mount point on the exterior of your cab that is strong enough to support the weight of your door (call it a safe 100 pounds) i doubt you will be able to find one so you will have to do some strength work on the back side before you attach your hinges. i would probably say a plate that runs from the top mount to the bottom mount.
? He doesn't want external hinges, just wants to make the door removable.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I looked into this a long time ago and finally started getting serious about doing something....

I bought some 3/8" hitch pins from TSC, yanked the handles off, drilled the holes out to take a locking lynch pin (3/16) and picked up some heavy duty bronze bushings for 3/8" pins. Just going to pop the factory pins, knock out the factory bushings, drill it out for the new bushings and slide the new pins in. The bottom pin looks like you can put it in from the top, but the top pin will probably have to go in from the bottom because of the way the doors are curved.

And yes, you need a mirror to be legal. Even the Jeep guys are supposed to have one to be legal.

RICO9

07/2014 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
Transmission
Manual
Here's how i did mine.

1. trace around both sides of the hinge with a sharpie.

2. thake off the hinges.

3. cut out the old pins.

4. replace with bolts.

5. put back together.

top.

bottom.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check out slo-vo's old ranger build, i like his idea the best

BCWs 1992 ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys thanks for all the ideas i did it this mornin i grinded the top head off and pounded tit out and im gonna replace t with a 5/16 bolt and drill a hole in it and put a hitch pin in it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals