• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My new ANTI-Jeep decal-must see!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my point is... if i was to buy new for an all around daily driver, camping, hunting, trail riding, so on vechile... it'd be a 2012 JK rubi. expensive? yes... but is the cost of that over the 2012 4runner worth it? yes. there's not a good SUV option right now for someone like me if i was to buy new. the new explorers are a joke. grand cherokee's NO. 4runners are okay but lack some stuff. the rubi has it all and will probably never break if you don't go larger than 34's or 35's and drive smart. what other new vehicle can you do minor trimming and budget boost and fit 35's with lockers, 4.10's, solid front axle, plus you can take the top off... and have all sorts of aftermarket support?!
I would rather have an FX4 F-150. V8, locking diffs, external bed to keep the deer guts seperate from me and will tow anything I need to. Nothing against the Jeep really, just I would rather have a truck.

I have 32's on my F-150 without doing anything but buying the tires... actually they are the stock tires for a Rubicon :D

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Besides, Jeeps are too expensive...for me anyway. a 1997 wrangler is 12k in good condition, a 1997 ranger on the other hand, about 3k.
tis true...

Baby Raptor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
the raptor, totally stock out did the Baja trucks, designed for off road racing....it is a beast.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, you can only build a stock frame so strong. Its not like the raptors have a weak frame and just bent with a jump like a lot of forums or articles are stating. These are people getting airborn in a stock truck, that are not professional drivers, that land wrong, hard and without balance. The front diff breaking on a large truck that has been abused is no surprise that it broke... hell, if you look at any vehicle, things are going to break, that's what warranties are for. I haven't seen an actual ford commercial (there might be one, just haven't seen one) that shows a raptor being jumped. What I have seen, is hundreds of test drives and videos of professional drivers and auto magazines on set up tracks and trails drive the shit out of them with zero issues. Even when getting 10 ft of air. The difference is they are experienced and professional drivers that know how to use their machines. I have seen quite a few axle problems even on rubicons under jeeps that don't even run off road... even the rubicon axles get swapped out when someone is serious about off roading. All jeeps aren't good, and all fords aren't perfect, but you can't just judge them by a few small problems while being abused.

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know anybody stupid enough to put 30K into a Ranger. I have a buddy who bought a new 2012 Raptor that has a broken front differential and the rear frame is already damaged and he is pissed. He has a 2009 Rubicon Limited that has never let him down and he has 80,000 miles on it and it runs 37 inch tires. He bought the Ford Raptor because he loves the looks of it and loves Trophy Trucks. Damn Ford..........lol
Thats funny because my uncle has a raptor and beats the living hell out of it, not one issue. If I'm not mistaken the raptor out did a bunch of baja trucks also. The raptor has frame damage? Did he hook it up to a 50,000lbs. slab of concrete with a chain and just start going to town or what? My uncles raptor has seen jumps, pulls out diesels all the time in the mud, and did I mention he's running 37" toyo open country MT's. Im calling BS on your post just because I have seen many raptors beat and not see any damage besides a few dents. Also because I watched the baja raptor out do a lot of trucks built for it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, you can only build a stock frame so strong. Its not like the raptors have a weak frame and just bent with a jump like a lot of forums or articles are stating. These are people getting airborn in a stock truck, that are not professional drivers, that land wrong, hard and without balance. The front diff breaking on a large truck that has been abused is no surprise that it broke... hell, if you look at any vehicle, things are going to break, that's what warranties are for. I haven't seen an actual ford commercial (there might be one, just haven't seen one) that shows a raptor being jumped. What I have seen, is hundreds of test drives and videos of professional drivers and auto magazines on set up tracks and trails drive the shit out of them with zero issues. Even when getting 10 ft of air. The difference is they are experienced and professional drivers that know how to use their machines. I have seen quite a few axle problems even on rubicons under jeeps that don't even run off road... even the rubicon axles get swapped out when someone is serious about off roading. All jeeps aren't good, and all fords aren't perfect, but you can't just judge them by a few small problems while being abused.
IMO very unprofessional opinion the Raptors biggest problem is too soft of rear springs and/or not enough travel. They were advertised to be warrentied for up to a 5" jump but who is going to be leaning out the window with a tape measure to confirm how high the jump is... and I darn well guarentee it will be higher than it appeared to be from the cockpit.

It doesn't seem to take a huge jump to do it, but a "just right bump" either a jump or something on the path overwhelms the rear suspension and it bottoms out. A jump isn't a jump, some will land harder than others even from the same height, it will depend on the angle of the ramp and where you land. The stock bumpstop can't deal with it (nor should it be expected to IMO) and it tweaks the frame. There was an article somewhere where a mag talked to a Ford engineer about it and he said they opted for the softer springs to make the truck jump more controlable, stiffer springs make the rear rebound on landings which is dangerous if the nut on the steering wheel isn't prepared for it.

And that is why I wouldn't build one to sell to the masses, it is very, very tough to design things to be safe for people that have no business driving them and still let them perform. Especially when you have to make it cheap enough to be somewhat comparable to what somebody could build with a regular F-150 off of the internet... so you can't take the easy way out and just price it out of their reach like a supercar.

Last edited:

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
The Jeeps key is its manuverability. A 2dr could turn in a circle in the space your '250 takes just sitting there... a 4dr would still make you look stupid.

I understand that, I was stating the going through stuff with my truck. A 30K built ranger wouldn't have an issue with turning Like the mock ranger I stated in that post.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats funny because my uncle has a raptor and beats the living hell out of it, not one issue. If I'm not mistaken the raptor out did a bunch of baja trucks also. The raptor has frame damage? Did he hook it up to a 50,000lbs. slab of concrete with a chain and just start going to town or what? My uncles raptor has seen jumps, pulls out diesels all the time in the mud, and did I mention he's running 37" toyo open country MT's. Im calling BS on your post just because I have seen many raptors beat and not see any damage besides a few dents. Also because I watched the baja raptor out do a lot of trucks built for it.
It is a well documented problem, apparently the guys you are around know their trucks and where they drive them better than others... and maybe still have the 100mph limiter in place.

http://jalopnik.com/5820104/are-ford-raptor-frames-too-weak-for-off+roading

I understand that, I was stating the going through stuff with my truck. A 30K built ranger wouldn't have an issue with turning Like the mock ranger I stated in that post.
It is a 2012 4dr Jeep... $30k isn't too far off from a nice FX4 Ranger back in the day.

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
You don't know all, Bro. The Raptor has been having frame damage issues for a couple of years now. Dirtsport mag and other offroad mags mentioned about the frame damage last year. Those Raptors that went out to race had upgraded suspension. It was mentioned in several magazines as well. Your uncle's truck is not stock, right? Big difference!!! So BS to you since it is not stock so this does not count. My buddy's raptor is stock. If he wanted to upgrade it and dump money in it he would. The truck is a Ford that should hold up to the Ford promise right? It does not.

Baby Raptor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The Jeeps key is its manuverability. A 2dr could turn in a circle in the space your '250 takes just sitting there... a 4dr would still make you look stupid.
My Dad's Wrangler has the worst turning radius i have EVER seen. I was gonna pull it into a spot nd was dumbfounded on what sucky radius it has. My Buddy's F-150 has a far better radius and could have pulled that off easily..

His Jeep is a right hand drive, that could make a diff. but i wouldn't think it does..

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Holy crap, the raptor thing again? Don't post opinions on it if you don't research what is actually going on. I've said it like three times before. It is NOT JUMPING that is damaging raptors. They are designed properly for that. The problem with the raptor is it has lots of rear suspension travel, but it is almost all droop. It's only got a couple inches of up travel from static ride height. What this means, for those of you who don't know suspension geometry, is that if you hit a bump at speed, the axle almost instantly hits the bumpstops, and the springs and shocks barely get any of the load. The bumpstops take almost the full hit. They are designed to only take reasonable hits, not major shock, and they crush. Once that happens, you need new ones. The frame also has a notch in it to easily remove them. This combination of problems makes for a bent frame when you hit a slight ledge at speed or a log or something. It is a design flaw that is easily remedied with frame reinforcement to bring the frame back to stock F-150 strength, along with proper aftermarket bump stops - not the garbage SVT used.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Holy crap, the raptor thing again? Don't post opinions on it if you don't research what is actually going on. I've said it like three times before. It is NOT JUMPING that is damaging raptors. They are designed properly for that. The problem with the raptor is it has lots of rear suspension travel, but it is almost all droop. It's only got a couple inches of up travel from static ride height. What this means, for those of you who don't know suspension geometry, is that if you hit a bump at speed, the axle almost instantly hits the bumpstops, and the springs and shocks barely get any of the load. The bumpstops take almost the full hit. They are designed to only take reasonable hits, not major shock, and they crush. Once that happens, you need new ones. The frame also has a notch in it to easily remove them. This combination of problems makes for a bent frame when you hit a slight ledge at speed or a log or something. It is a design flaw that is easily remedied with frame reinforcement to bring the frame back to stock F-150 strength, along with proper aftermarket bump stops - not the garbage SVT used.
Finally someone who actually knows shit lol. I'm getting sick of seeing people talk crap about how raptors bend frames So easy.

Honestly, it's not a design flaw though. It's so when you do hit something way to fast, you don't buck the rear end up and possibly roll. It bends the frames tad, and saves the whole truck. You will drive home no problem.

If you were to buck the rear up and go into a rollover. You would not be driving the truck home.

It's like a dumbass proof setup. For those retards who don't know what they're doing Offroad.

The frame kits and bumpstop kits are great for people who run hard Offroad for long periods. Where they're hitting smaller bumps over and over and over.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
No. It is most definitely a design flaw. The frame needs to be shaped to allow the suspension to have more up travel, and it needs stronger bump stops, and firmer shock valving. Just a few more inches of up-travel and better bumpstops make it so it absorbs the bumps without bending the frame, and it will actually be more controllable. The frame does bend "so easy." Have you seen the raptor run video where the guy hits a cattle crossing and bends his frame? Like 8 out of 11 trucks bent frames in the same spot, and it is a road that is driven at high speed in modified trucks regularly, the bump isnt that bad.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I watched a video from SVT explaining just that 6.2, and I believe I read it only has 5 inches of up travel. He said it was designed in a manner that if you abuse it, the truck will still get you home.

Sent while I should be doing something else

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Honestly though... who gives a shit, lol. This was an anti jeep thread lol. Its like dealing with a bunch of pms-ing women sometimes, lol. I kid I kid.
The biggest anti jeep thing ford could do, is build that bronco concept. But with a full frame, primary rear wheel drive and removable roof. Steal their sales right from under them

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals