• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are the different motors for the ranger equally good?

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have A 2.3L and I have always found it to be a good engine. I am thinking to get a 3L V6 but was just wondering if one tends to have less trouble then the other.
A friend of mine had a 4L and would eat up alot of oil, my 2.3 has never had that problem.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 4.0 used a little oil when I got it, but I did all the top end gaskets, to cure a coolant leak, and changed the valve seals while I was at it, and it hasn't used any oil since.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
My 4.0 doesn't even eat 1 quart in 6000miles. It has 175K on the clock.

The reliability of any engine is more of an indication of how it was maintained than anything else. Design has lots to do with reliability, but only at the beginning of its' usable life. After that, maintenance is the key factor in how it runs / lasts.

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Like the others have mentioned, proper maintenance goes a LOOOONG way. Having said that, avoid the 3.0, they were very reliable, but they get the same gas mileage as a 4.0 and only have slightly more power than the Duratec 2.3, they also used the same lighter duty transmission as the Lima 2.3/2.5 & Duratec 2.3.

Last edited:

InsaneRedRooster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
3.0 getting same gas mileage as 4.0? I'm sorry I have to call BS I've gotten as good as 20mpg city with a light foot, my friends 4.0 is like 17 on a good day
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
3.0 getting same gas mileage as 4.0? I'm sorry I have to call BS I've gotten as good as 20mpg city with a light foot, my friends 4.0 is like 17 on a good day
My 4.0L used to get 21.5 MPG on a daily basis. It was a 1997 4x4 with almost 200k miles on the clock. :thefinger:

Your friend obviously needs to do some maintnence. My 4.0L when I had it also never used a lick of oil even with nearly 200k miles on it. No engine should burn oil.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
I have A 2.3L and I have always found it to be a good engine. I am thinking to get a 3L V6 but was just wondering if one tends to have less trouble then the other.
A friend of mine had a 4L and would eat up alot of oil, my 2.3 has never had that problem.
If your looking to get a 3.0L, try to get one with 4.10:1 gearing. This goes very well with the motor design, similarly to the four cylinder Rangers.

Longevity and the maintenance needed will vary depending on previous owners maintenance habits, as previously mentioned.

My 4.0L used to get 21.5 MPG on a daily basis. It was a 1997 4x4 with almost 200k miles on the clock. :thefinger:

Your friend obviously needs to do some maintnence. My 4.0L when I had it also never used a lick of oil even with nearly 200k miles on it. No engine should burn oil.
Driving cycle, driver habits, environmetal conditions, among other things, will vary the mileage. I've gotten a best of just under 25mpg and a worst of 14mpg with my ranger.

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
the vulcan had a plastic cam synchro, if that goes out your in for an expensive day. its like $100 for a new one though so replacing it for cheap insurance isnt too bad. other then that the 3.0 is hard hard to kill

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
the vulcan had a plastic cam synchro, if that goes out your in for an expensive day. its like $100 for a new one though so replacing it for cheap insurance isnt too bad. other then that the 3.0 is hard hard to kill
Also, regular coolant flushes are key to keep from blowing a HG, that and the heater cores clog easily.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
This depends on which year the 3.0L is; it didn't get the cam synchronizer until it went to distributor-less ignition ('95 or '97, I can't remember which at the moment).

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
This depends on which year the 3.0L is; it didn't get the cam synchronizer until it went to distributor-less ignition ('95 or '97, I can't remember which at the moment).
1995 in RWD applications: Aerostar, Ranger. 96 in FWD apps: Taurus, Windstar.

Last edited:

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
I used to DD a 4.0. Got decent gas mileage for what it was. Had over 220k and the tail pipe is clean. It does leak oil but not bad enough to the point where I have to add between oil changes. The 2.3 I have now gets really good gas mileage and seems to run pretty good despite the fact that it looks like it has been neglected. I'm thinking of trying a 3.0 now that I've had a 2.3 and a 4.0. I just wanna try all before really passing judgment on a certain engine. And I'm sure the 3.0 is going to have its strengths. Just really depends on what you are using the truck for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals