• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help, failed Referee smog check for year swap!

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Help, I just failed my Referee smog check for year swap from 1987 to 1988 emissions! Been working on this for months and getting very short on time!

It's a 1987 Ranger SuperCab, 2.9L a4ld 4x2 converted to 1988 Ranger SuperCab 2.9L, m5r1 4x4.

EDIT: I have replaced the distributor (pickup coil), cap/rotor, wires, plugs, TFI, coil, ACT, ECT, and thermostat before the test....all of which made it run better and better.

It failed for code 13 KEOR, no check engine light, and high NOx emissions.

Here are the full test results (not much room to squeeze them in and be readable):

___________%CO2__%O2___HC(PPM)__________CO(%)______________NO(PPM)____________
mph__RPM___Meas__Meas__Max___Ave__Meas__Max___Ave___Meas___Max___Ave___Meas
15___1698___15.0___0.0___136____43___93___0.92___0.16___0.32___1101___406___1217__Fail
25___2775___15.1___0.0___108____32___37___1.17___0.15___0.20___1151___349____599__Pass

Max= Maximum allowable emissions
Ave= Average emissions for passing vehicles
Meas= Amount measured

BTW, the guy said I have to wire in the check engine light and that it's running lean. I do notice that it backfires in the intake easily on acceleration. I also had a bottle of STP Fuel Injector cleaner and two bottles of Heet in the fuel tank at the time...I know prolly shouldn't have had that in there. :temper: Hope my half-arsed little chart is readable....lol. :D

They gave me a better wiring diagram printout than the ones on www.alldata.com (that I already have) any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinkin it needs an intake gasket set....upper and lower whole dealio. The high NOx, occasional backfiring into the intake on acceleration and the KEOR code 13 all lead me to think this even more.

Code 13:
(O) ISC did not respond properly (extends to touch throttle then retracts for KOEO) - ISC
(R) Idle Speed Control motor or Air Bypass not controlling idle properly (generally idle too high)
(M) ISC sticking, open ITS circuit or TP sticking

Obviously I have to wire in the check engine light and add the bulb into the cluster, there is already a spot for it, but no wires. :D

Last edited:

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok 87's had a EGR ,88's did not and I believe that timing advance was changed to compensate, did you swap to a 88 computer? And is your timing set correctly? Advanced timing over spec will easily increase NOx

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
WIldside,

Thanks for the reply, yes I've swapped/removed all necessary parts except the check engine light. Timing is set at 10* btdc as it should be.

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Then first concentrate on the codes, clean your IAC make sure your TPS is set to specs, PCV not sticking, ignition wires are in proper order, injectors are not worn. Intake valves and timing chain are in good shape. For vacuum leaks also check your injector seals. When my 87 2.9 failed Nox All I did was retard the timing a bit to reduce cylinder temps and it passed.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
IAC is new and fixed my seriously high idle. TPS set to specs, pcv is new, wires are good, don't have any idea about the injectors but I've run BG Products 44K through it several times and that is some serious injector cleaner. Timing chain is good, valves don't know, supposedly rebuilt engine and seems to be from what Iv'e found so far. I can't retard the timing and pass smog, it has to be set at the factory spec.

Going to wire in my check engine light, replace the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets....aaargh not looking forward to that. Reset the codes tonight so we'll see.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
they don't actually check the timing do they?maybe 2 degrees retard would be good to try.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, they do check the timing.

It sure sounds like a vacuum leak to me.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
since when did the 88's have a check engine light??

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes, they do check the timing.

It sure sounds like a vacuum leak to me.
Yes, they chekc all kinda stuff here.

Since '88.

That's the year CARB first required them.

'87s had dummy check engine lights; '88s had real ones.
X2.... :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Going to tear my dash apart today and go buy a Fel-Pro complete intake gasket set.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
ANy tips before I tear the dash apart to run the check engine light wiring? Tips or R2 the intake upper and lower would be cool too....done the upper gaskets on my other 2.9 and they are pretty easy, but any advice on the lower is good.

Thanks,
Nate

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Since '88.

That's the year CARB first required them.

'87s had dummy check engine lights; '88s had real ones.
Actually 49states had a check engine light in the cluster, but the hole in the flex circuit isn't "punched out" (this can be done with a razor blade or a scalpel with a #11 blade (pointy))

It's not so much a matter of the '87's having a "dummy" there is no bulb installed.

There is a maintainance warning indicator (driven by what is essentially a timer) but that is in a seperate position in the indicator lamp block.

I had to punch out my CEL position when I installed my 4.0, because
on the 4.0 if the CEL is left disconnected or even the bulb is dead the
computer will have an electronic brain fart on engine startup.

Want real fun? remove both brake light bulbs and see how well a 2.9 runs:)

AD

AD

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Actually 49states had a check engine light in the cluster, but the hole in the flex circuit isn't "punched out" (this can be done with a razor blade or a scalpel with a #11 blade (pointy))

It's not so much a matter of the '87's having a "dummy" there is no bulb installed.

There is a maintainance warning indicator (driven by what is essentially a timer) but that is in a seperate position in the indicator lamp block.......Want real fun? remove both brake light bulbs and see how well a 2.9 runs:)

AD
Just like you said, I removed the cluster last night and cut out the CEL printed circuit with a (you guessed it....X-Acto, with #1 blade easy enough. There is already a tan with red stripe wire in position #6 the larger (18pin) cluster plug....is it there for the CEL or? I have to look at the wiring diagram again and then look at what wire is where on the EEC-IV.

Do I need to run a wire or is it already there? Seems the wire is tan/red from the TFI and then changes to IIRC pink/light green somewhere before it reaches the CEL....according to my wiring diagrams. But that maybe just for the 88...so the 87 maybe already wired with the tan/red all the way to the CEL.

Saw the Maintainence Required bulb and all while I had it apart...never noticed that before, and NEVER seen it turn on in any Ranger. WTF? :dntknw: :)

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So when the CEL is wired in correctly, it should come on when the ignition key is first turned to 'run' position and then go out once the engine is cranked and runnning...and the ignition key is returned to the 'run' position from the 'cranking' position?

In other words, how do I know when I have it working right without going back to the referee station? I only get one free re-test....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals