• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger Performance Help

bspeedy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Would like to add a few things here and there to add some HP, nothing huge now, hopefully can get a turbo in the near future. any suggestions?

2.3 engine

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mill .060 off the head, port and polish, mild cam, header, low gears if you don't have them already. If you have a non california 94 2.3 you can grab a ecu from a 92-93 2.3 dual plug stang and with the help of Binary Editor and Moates quarterhorse you can get full tuning capabilities.... for almost the price of a plug and play chip.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Have you tried a Moates?did it work ok?

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have Tweecers in both of my rangers, but only because i found them used. The 1/4 horse will work fine and is cheaper if you buy new. The reason i switched to the mustang eec is because i couldn't find ranger strategies for Binary editor. There are a few tuning changes that need to be made so that the cel doesn't come on, but its nothing too complicated. If anyone wants more info on this i would be glad to help.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I would like some more info.I just went thur rubber duck and had a chip made to take out the rev limiter and up the timing but would like to have a tuner.What year mustang did you use?

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have only confirmed that this will work on a 92 and 94 2.3, but i assume that it would be the same on a 93. I bought a eec used off ebay for around $35. The two eec catch codes that i will work are C1A1 and D1L1. They are the same eec but one has a mt calibration and the other auto. I have D1L1 because they seem to be more plentiful and you can easily load a mt calibration into it. My truck ran ok with the eec before i tuned it, but it threw a cel soon after it started. What you will need to tune it is either a Tweecer (http://tweecer.com/) or a quarterhorse. (http://www.moates.net/quarterhorse-for-fords-p-199.html) The quarterhorse is preferred by most tuners because it is cheaper and does everything the tweecer RT will do and more. I have a tweecer RT because i found one used for $200. Next you will need to purchase Binary Editor. (http://www.eecanalyzer.net/) You can download BE for free and play around with it to see all the capabilities, but you cannot use it until you purchase a license for it. You will also have to pay the owner of the D1L1 strategy $25 for his many many hours decoding the strategy. Once you have that taken care of you can begin tuning. If you have the D1L1 eec to use in a manual trans you will want to download the C1A1 calibration from eecanalyzer and use that. There are some significant changes in the calibration between the mt and the auto. The first changes you will want to make is to turn off the BP sensor and the Electric fan. The only other thing i can think of to change off the top of my head is the MAF transfer. The mustang maf must be a little different. If anyone needs this i can get it to you, its just a lot to put here and most people would have no idea what they are looking at. From there you can tune away. Even if you have no plans to buy the software, you should download it and check it out, i am sure you will learn alot about how the eec works.

Last edited:

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
Turbo is the way to go if you realy want some power...

Holset hx35 with turbo coupe pistons/rods, some 42 lbs injectors and 90 mm maf with a tune and you're ready to haul asses :)

donnytrash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hey i have a 94 ranger with a cam0 eec and im trying to tune with tweecer for my turbo setup its built correctly im just horrible at tuneing. i got the maf transfer for the 80mm maf i swaped in. i had to adjust the curve a little to get the ideal to be at 14.7 to 1. but when it starts boosting it leans out pretty bad. what do i need to adjust for this. i can send some data logs if needed. i also have a d1l1 eec laying around. im debateing buying BE and EA and useing it to tune with that eec seens how my cam0 eec isnt well supported

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Wtf???

I have NO idea what you guy's are talking about! LOL I am here to learn tho.:icon_idea:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
hey i have a 94 ranger with a cam0 eec and im trying to tune with tweecer for my turbo setup its built correctly im just horrible at tuneing. i got the maf transfer for the 80mm maf i swaped in. i had to adjust the curve a little to get the ideal to be at 14.7 to 1. but when it starts boosting it leans out pretty bad. what do i need to adjust for this. i can send some data logs if needed. i also have a d1l1 eec laying around. im debateing buying BE and EA and useing it to tune with that eec seens how my cam0 eec isnt well supported
are you attempting to use the stock injectors? they aren't sufficient for much boost... and stock turbo injectors aren't compatible with the stock computer. 14.7:1 is great for most points unless you are pushing things hard and hot then the ratio needs to get richer to avoid burning up the internals, more fuel in gasoline engines cools things down (gaseous fuels work the other way...), when you get there the air to fuel ratio ends up around 12:1 and sometimes lower... I don't have much experience in tuning forced induction engines but do have a fair amount in tuning N/A engines, I tune by AFR and EGT, once the EGT gets past about 1400F the AFR needs to be adjusted accordingly.

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
14.7:1 is great for most points unless you are pushing things hard and hot then the ratio needs to get richer to avoid burning up the internals, more fuel in gasoline engines cools things down (gaseous fuels work the other way...), when you get there the air to fuel ratio ends up around 12:1 and sometimes lower... I don't have much experience in tuning forced induction engines but do have a fair amount in tuning N/A engines, I tune by AFR and EGT, once the EGT gets past about 1400F the AFR needs to be adjusted accordingly.
Alcohol motors can get hot when you run them a little fat as well. I would like to have the means to measure EGT.

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
donny: I don't have much experience with tuning for boost, but you should be able to add fuel to the base table or wot fuel function. Is it leaning under WOT or light throttle? How much boost are you talking? Also as Scot asket what injectors do you have. I assume you are tuning with Caledit? I am not going to say you cannot get it to run decent with caledit, but if cam0 is not any more supported than bab2 (94 ranger m/t eec) than it may be difficult. I dont know if you did this yet or not, but you can download BE and play around with it before purchasing. The d1l1 eec has 637 scalars, 99 functions, and 29 tables unlocked in BE, compared to caledit which has 13, 12, and 5. (for the bab2 eec) Is your truck auto or manual?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
if you can find a small thermocouple controller for a type K thermocouple or get a pyrometer for a diesel, that would do it, if you just drill the exhaust manifold near a port that's all we do at work...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals