• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to: Easy dana 70 swap in 98ranger

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'd rather have the ground clearance myself. You build a disc 8.8 properly with C-clip eliminators and you can run 36s or 37s all day long w/out a problem. I would prob upgrade to chomoly axles tho just be be on the safe side. But w/ a V6, I wouldnt really worry about it.

angelfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1977 f250
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
I'd rather have the ground clearance myself. You build a disc 8.8 properly with C-clip eliminators and you can run 36s or 37s all day long w/out a problem. I would prob upgrade to chomoly axles tho just be be on the safe side. But w/ a V6, I wouldnt really worry about it.
Like i said this is middle of the metamorphasis, it will be on atleast 36's but i think i scored a screaming deal on some 39in iroks today so i guess its 39s:headbang:

I have another 87 4x4 ranger im going to be eventually dding once i replace the heads on the 2.9:bawling:

So this is eventually by summer time going to be a 351 with np435 with 203/205 doubler so it may not be so much needed now but with a v8 and the low range of the 435 im gonna be very thankfull to have the full float 70 rear:D

angelfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1977 f250
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
aaaahahaha :icon_rofl:

harsh
I know u guys with TTB dont really have to deal with it, but its a pretty natural thing on the IFS rangers for them to lean towards the drivers side!:thefinger:

these things definetly didnt come balanced from the factory, my gas tank is on the drivers side and i rarely ever have a passenger so with my ass and a full tank constantly and over 200,000 miles on it the front suspension definetly has some sag in it now:icon_rofl: it should all be taken care of with a 3link:icon_thumby:

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I know u guys with TTB dont really have to deal with it, but its a pretty natural thing on the IFS rangers for them to lean towards the drivers side!:thefinger:

these things definetly didnt come balanced from the factory, my gas tank is on the drivers side and i rarely ever have a passenger so with my ass and a full tank constantly and over 200,000 miles on it the front suspension definetly has some sag in it now:icon_rofl: it should all be taken care of with a 3link:icon_thumby:
Mine doesn't lean anymore ;) Not try to down on you was just surprised how you smoked an 8.8" that often.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
it actually sits perfectly level side to side and front to back now. . .

and yes for the time being i have 5lug front and 8lug rear:thefinger: I have my 8lug 44 sitting in my garage just still collecting parts. . . I had to kinda rush the rear in my truck since i blew another shaft in the 8.8 and was sick of fixing it!!!
yeah....i can dig that

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Actually all of the TTB rangers that I have seen have this issue, including my own.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i love it..

32s:thefinger: haha but im pretty hard on it, and it sure as hell doesnt help it was spooled up in the rear:shok: which driving it daily definetly adds more stress:bawling:

Honestly after 3 snapped shafts and 1 spun axle tube it was just time to upgrade!:headbang:

I think it has alot to do with my driving style, along with the fact is i have taught 4 friends in the past 6months to drive a manual on my truck and it was really hard on my truck.:dunno:
you sound kinda like me.. i like your style. if your not gonna beat on it, buy a car!

angelfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1977 f250
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Mine doesn't lean anymore ;) Not try to down on you was just surprised how you smoked an 8.8" that often.
Haha no worries man, I think the main problem i have is im used to driving a 79 350 and a77 250 one with a 14bolt and one with a 60 in the rears, so im kinda acustomed to beating on my axles pretty hard. . .

But honestly i can stand swappin shafts out the thing that i cant stand nemore is the usual 1/2 a damn mile i have to chase my tire when i do break a shaft! nothing like full float in my book!!!

angelfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1977 f250
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Actually all of the TTB rangers that I have seen have this issue, including my own.
Hmmm my 87 doesnt maybe cause its all stock and an old mans truck?:icon_rofl:

angelfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1977 f250
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
i love it..

you sound kinda like me.. i like your style. if your not gonna beat on it, buy a car!
Haha ya exactly i did the whole car thing for awhile and is all it got me was a bunch of tickets:icon_idea: I live in a pretty small town where all the cops know me by first name basis and owning a truck keeps ya under their radar for the most part!!!

And ya i beat this thing pretty good, i live up on the west side of WA super tight trails and i love my old dentsides way to damn much to go destroy them in the woods so i take my ranger!!! She usually fairs pretty good but i dont think i know when the best time to stop and give up is sometimes:dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals