• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Motorcycle license.

mywhip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Come next summer, i will be traveling to NY for a summer job, and then finally to college. Before all of this happens, i want to sell the truck (don't want to have it in college) and buy a decent motorcycle (1-2k). I am curious to what is the best way to go about getting my motorcycle license in Ohio, and what would be a good starter bike? No idea on what i am looking for..just curious for now.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
A motorcycle safety course is a great way to get introduced if you don't have much (or any) experience. If you can find one, get a older bike for cheap that needs some work. Look for something 500cc or less, and that'll help keep you out of trouble until you get some miles under your belt.

mywhip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just priced insurance too for an 1986 honda interceptor, and it came to 105$. I don't know if that's per month, or year? I would think per month..

The Mud Addict

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 D-S
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6in
Tire Size
35x12.5x15 Pitbull rockers
I had my '88 H-D FXR full coverage insurance once, cost $370 for an entire year.:icon_surprised: With an ugly driving record:shok:

whale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Gas Hog
Transmission
Automatic
I just priced insurance too for an 1986 honda interceptor, and it came to 105$. I don't know if that's per month, or year? I would think per month..
Probably per year.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I started in 09 on my 81 Yamaha Maxim 650. Insurance cost me like 150 a year for just liability. Older bikes that need a little work are a great place to start. You can pick up Maxims from 550-750cc in the $500-$1500 range. I now drive an 07 Harley Sporster 883, and it costs me around 450 a year for full coverage.

On to safety courses... They are great if you can get in them. Around where I live (Central NY), they book up usually about a year ahead of time. I honestly just tooled around my neighborhood for two weeks, and then passed my test with a perfect score. Research the testing in Ohio, and just practice the maneuvers for a few weeks if you can't get in a course. Stay wayyyy off any sportbikes for a starter, unless you plan for like a 250... They are way to fast for a beginner in my opinion! Best of luck, and ride safe!!

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like a basic yearly premium. And that includes the "sunny day" policy-

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
your best bet is something under 500cc. they are less on insurance. i currently have a 2007 CBR 600 RR, and have been riding for about 6 years.

look up the rules of riding, then take the test. a bike course is recommended. dont buy a bike till you know the insurance cost.

kman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997/1996
Make / Model
fazda
buell
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Buell bast they donf have a ton of power but enough to keep up and pass traffic I get 65 to 70 mpgs everytime I check it no matter how I drive they have there problems but nothing that cost to much they are cheap they have great forms to

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not sure how you are gonna fare in college if you don't know the dollar sign goes in front of the number.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Our local community college offers the AMA course twice a month (Fri-Sun) and they provide the bike you test on (175s and 250s). All you need is the state learner permit, pay for, attend and pass the 3 full day course and the state will issue you a license without an actual road test. You still take the (easy) state test computer and eye test, but you can get a license and not even own a bike.

Most states will issue you the same license endorsements as your present license. May have to show the AMA course completion certificate once you get to Ohio, but I would not expect them to road test you.

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
insurance on mine was 90 for a year.

edit: i feel like i should say something else, but i dont really have any thing to comment on.

Last edited:

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Go to the DMV website. I'm sure they have a list of classes. In the Cleveland area try to get into the class at Polaris Vocational School they have a good reputation.

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Get a used bike, its easy to find 250's that people have learned on and are selling in order to upgrade. So after you've ridden it for a while, you can sell it for about what you buy it for. Also, do yourself a favor and buy as much gear as you can afford! A GOOD helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and boots are ideal. Don't worry about getting a pretty first bike, because its likely that you may drop it. Be safe and have fun!

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I ride a 125 scooter around time and the insurance is only 45 dollars a year.

But a good starter bike that you can find that probably doesnt need any work is a 2008 ninja 250. I have seen them around here all the way down to 2000 bucks. And the 2008 is the new body style compared to old ninjas.

Here is a quick example of the bike im talking about in columbus ohio.
http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2610741574.html

you can find a 2005 or so for under $2000

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals