• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Personal Tracked Vehicle

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone seen one of these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPHT9wm5cI

This is a pretty simple tracked vehicle.

My idea is to build something a bit more robust as an engineering project.
I'd like to use tracks like mini excavator or ditch witch rubber tracks, or maybe make some steel tracks.

I had thought about using a large zero turn mower for the hydraulic drive, but im just not sure if it would be enough torque, or that it would be to slow. I'm going to try and build something that can plow snow, but also have a little bit of speed. I'd like to do a suspension possibly using some four wheeler rear shocks.

Basically, I'd like to know if you guys have any ideas for a reliable drive system that isnt crazy expensive, i.e. an open diff, hydrostat, clutched drive etc. And any suggestions for track type.

So far this is just brainstorming so any ideas would be great.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What I would love to do is stumble apoun a couple snow mobile tracks and skis and make a half track out of a lawn mower for snow and leave it so I could put wheels on the front for summer.

Not for pushing snow, but so I don't have to stumble around in a couple feet of snow to get around.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That does look pretty neat. You should do your ranger!

Seriously I was fantacizing about making mine tracked so I could use it for logging.

In alaska we have alot of these older tracked rigs, http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/10_Transportation/52_All_terrain_Vehicles/181064_J5_Bombardier_Track_Rig.html

Stuff like that, and if you look at the tracks they are usually salvaged from old conveyor belts. The steel cross pieces are bolted to the conveyor straps.

This is a tucker sno cat, my boss uses one every winter for hauling fuel, and it actually uses Dodge running gear, some semi tractor parts and a few other things for its undercarriage. It has the same kind of tracks as the thing above.

If you could separate the right and left brakes on your ranger, they would steer you. You could probably use your original tires, and a track system like the first machine I posted. Use trailer tires and axles as rollers? Itd be bad ass, and Id love to live my dream out through someone else.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I could figure out the drive and steering it would be fun to make one of these things... wouldn't work really well for pushing snow but it would be very handy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjlSJf4274

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i want a rip saw. i wish they still had there show they built some cool stuff

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the Ripsaw is awesome. They have a proprietary design on those tracks of theirs, and the are able to rotate at speeds of 60 mph, so they are pretty stable. Im trying to think of something more like their mini rip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKgi2g-uUBI

My biggest issue is coming up with an efficient power delivery system, and motor. I dont want to have some honda four cylinder. It would be much easier to use a mower engine of some type, and maybe some small open differential were both axles could be braked individually, but then i lose the ability to reverse and zero turn...

Last edited:

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
you could run two lawnmower engines, one throttle for each track and a pair of reversing gearboxes.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
you could run two lawnmower engines, one throttle for each track and a pair of reversing gearboxes.
The problem with that is the two engines would have to be perfectly tuned to each other or else you'd never be able to drive a straight line. Thats why real tracks don't use this method.

The absolute only advantage tracks have over wheels is weight distribution, if that is your primary purpose for tracks then its worth it. Otherwise their inefficiencies, and maintenance requirements outweigh their ability to distribute weight. The only reason machines like the ripsaw exist is for the cool factor.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The problem with that is the two engines would have to be perfectly tuned to each other or else you'd never be able to drive a straight line. Thats why real tracks don't use this method.

The absolute only advantage tracks have over wheels is weight distribution, if that is your primary purpose for tracks then its worth it. Otherwise their inefficiencies, and maintenance requirements outweigh their ability to distribute weight. The only reason machines like the ripsaw exist is for the cool factor.
You have two throttles, just vary them to match like a multiple engine aircraft.

The old Euclid dozers had two detroits, each one ran a track. Same as a zero turn lawn mower on a hill, both sticks in the same position and you will be going downhill. A "zero turn" wouldn't be very handy with a twin engine setup though.

Could you use the drive off of an old bobcat/skid loader?

Last edited:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
An idea that I just thought of is to use a simple driving lawn mower for the powerplant. Change the pulleys for higher speed and use the gear box to adjust the amount of torque for that speed. Then you can use a brake rotor system for each side to make it turn by the steering wheels. Use a second brake rotor system for a more balanced stop without it messing up your steering input.

I would love to be able to build something like that. I would make it about ATV size with the driver placed in between the tracks and the engine in the rear. And it would need a multi-point suspension to really soak up those bumps at high speed. Be like a mini tank, except it would be a really fast, go more places and go further mini tank. Maybe even make it float with a simple prop & rudder system. Oh the ideas I'm coming up with. :D

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
An idea that I just thought of is to use a simple driving lawn mower for the powerplant. Change the pulleys for higher speed and use the gear box to adjust the amount of torque for that speed. Then you can use a brake rotor system for each side to make it turn by the steering wheels. Use a second brake rotor system for a more balanced stop without it messing up your steering input.
Just use both steering brakes at the same time, I do it all the time with tractors. Only using one at flank speed will get you in the ditch.

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
Two engines is too difficult to match the output, like CHKNFKR said.

The purpose of making a tracked vehicle is just to make a tracked vehicle, not a vehicle specifically for one purpose or another. Its more of an engineering project.

Using a mower engine and diff would work, but if its a hydrostat, do they use a solid axle or two axles that could be individually braked?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals