• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tires

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
im looking for a set of tires, and unfortunatly for me i have a verry strange list of what i want out of them. i want a tire with the strongest possible side wall, that would be verry hard to destroy. the two tires that come to mind are the bogger, and the TSL SX. but hear is were i have to be dificult. i also want it to have a 1/2 way desent tread life. and estemets i have herd are that swampers are only good for about 10,000miles. now i realize that i cant expect this type of tire, and that it will get 45 to 50,000 miles like an allteraine, but would like to get a tire that would last atleast 20 to 25,000 miles out of. also the ability to run wile flat would be a big pluss. any suggestions?

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
BOGGERs are out too, especially if you run them on the street. I ruined a set in under 10k. Of course Im locked as well.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
m16

mtr kevlar

bfg crawler

pitbull rocker

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl: tracks it is.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have those. Above 8mph and the noise is just awful. They also leave grooves in the asphault on hot sumer days.

The Kumho MTs I bought 10 years ago are still on my truck. I have replaced 2 out of 5. I did not get stuck with the Groundhawgs, though. We had mud over the hood and still, by going back and forth in rythm with the mud, got ourselves pitched out. They aren't going to last on the road, though.

You can't get what you want, but what you need is something that holds air and keeps your rims off the pavement. You'll get what you need. Just don't buy expensive offroad tires if most of your driving is reallu on the road. The MT Kumhos do really well both ways.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Why not gettin 2 sets? some nice looking not so expensive ones for daily driving and a set of good m/t for wheeling

i will dare to recomend you the ones i have on my truck if u plan on driving on pavement a lot and have a tight budget.

GT Radial Adventuro MT

Thye have good performance off road and act good on pavement too.
I dont know if they make them bigger than 33x12.50 tho, thats the biggest ive seen around here.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why not gettin 2 sets? some nice looking not so expensive ones for daily driving and a set of good m/t for wheeling

i will dare to recomend you the ones i have on my truck if u plan on driving on pavement a lot and have a tight budget.

GT Radial Adventuro MT

Thye have good performance off road and act good on pavement too.
I dont know if they make them bigger than 33x12.50 tho, thats the biggest ive seen around here.
Hey Poncho, how do those clean out mud if they are spinning pretty good? Looks like they would clean out good to me.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I vote for the TSL SX's. Toughest side wall I've found yet. Tread wear under a light truck like a ranger is pretty decent. I've had mine for over 3 years and they still have 12-14/32nds on them.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I vote for the TSL SX's. Toughest side wall I've found yet. Tread wear under a light truck like a ranger is pretty decent. I've had mine for over 3 years and they still have 12-14/32nds on them.
I am a hard core TSL person too, I have had swampers from 36" to 44's and yea if i build a nasty it's going too have them everytime. I kinda have been sniffin those SX's for this lil Ranger though and like to hear more about your experience with them as long as we dont hijack this mans thread.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Well from rocks to sand to mud they haven't let me down. The sidewalls are quite a bit thicker than the normal TSL, and the tread on the sidewalls helps to grab and chew over ruts and stuff like that. They are a very heavy tire though, my 36's are right around 80 lbs each without a wheel!

We had one guy in the club that Had SX's on his toyota rig and was starting to drive it more on the road so he sold them and bought a set of 37" MTR's. Next weekend we went out for a trail run and he was so pissed off that he was struggling in spots that the SX's walked through. Next week he was rolling on a set of 36" SX's again!

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well from rocks to sand to mud they haven't let me down. The sidewalls are quite a bit thicker than the normal TSL, and the tread on the sidewalls helps to grab and chew over ruts and stuff like that. They are a very heavy tire though, my 36's are right around 80 lbs each without a wheel!

We had one guy in the club that Had SX's on his toyota rig and was starting to drive it more on the road so he sold them and bought a set of 37" MTR's. Next weekend we went out for a trail run and he was so pissed off that he was struggling in spots that the SX's walked through. Next week he was rolling on a set of 36" SX's again!
Thanks good to know. Ive never had a fail with Interco yet, I been around others that have but they were way out of hand lucky to live to tell how stupid they were. Thanks Again Ryda.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Hey Poncho, how do those clean out mud if they are spinning pretty good? Looks like they would clean out good to me.
They work really good.
and they clean out really fast. In fact when i drive in dirt and then go to pavement, they throw a lot of rocks lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals